What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
(Here's something which showed up on the canada amazon).

On October 10, 2017, Futurama and Remington Steele complete series sets are being (re)released. (Also a Boston Legal complete series set with the same release date).

https://www.amazon.ca/Futurama-Complete-Collection-Season-Billy/dp/B0753824B8/

https://www.amazon.ca/Remington-Steele-Complete-Collection-Season/dp/B07539LZ68/

Unfortunately there are no mock-up images, nor much information about these particular releases other than Remington Steele being a 17-disc set and Futurama being a 27-disc set. These disc counts would be consistent with the respective original season/volume sets.

One option is Fox just releasing these sets as the original dvds sets shrinkwrapped together with masking tape in a half-assed manner.

On the other hand if these two complete series sets are newly manufactured sets, then there is a possibility of the Futurama volume sets being redone with generic viva multidisc dvd cases. (The original Futurama volume sets and the 2013 complete series dvd set, all had annoying cardboard pockets packaging which might warp the discs slightly).

In the case of a Remington Steele complete series consisting of newly manufactured dvd sets, there is the question of whether they are possibly reauthored single-sided discs. (All the original Remington Steele season sets released in america, consisted of double-sided DVD14/DVD10 type flipper discs with respectively six/four episodes per flipper disc).

The 17-disc count figure (assuming it is semi-reliable), might suggest all the Remington Steele season sets being reauthored into six-episodes per single-sided disc. (Perhaps they see what Mill Creek and Warner are doing, and following in their footsteps). Each of the original double-sided DVD14 flipper discs had six-episodes per flipper (except for the respective fourth discs of each season set, which were DVD10 type flippers).

Given that the number of disks (17) on the Remington Steele set is the same number as the number of flippers on the original issue, I figure they're just shrink-wrapping the old boxes together. Even Mill Creek doesn't mix seasons on the same disk, so unless the number of disks is wrong — granted, a possibility — it's just an el cheapo disk dump.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Given that the number of disks (17) on the Remington Steele set is the same number as the number of flippers on the original issue, I figure they're just shrink-wrapping the old boxes together. Even Mill Creek doesn't mix seasons on the same disk, so unless the number of disks is wrong — granted, a possibility — it's just an el cheapo disk dump.

For the time being, this ^ is what I'm currently assuming too.

So far there has only been one precedent of Fox reauthoring a previous 4-disc flipper season set, into a new 6-disc single-sided discs season set: Bones season 1. (My copy of the Bones complete series has the reauthored season 1 set with 6 single-sided dvd discs).

Currently Fox has not done (yet) any MillCreek / Warner style reauthorings where they cram six 45-50 minute episodes onto a single-sided dvd disc, which were previously released as double-sided flipper discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There has been several past precedents where a particular tv season dvd set's disc counts were identical for both the original flipper discs version AND the corresponding subsequent reauthored single-sided discs re-released version. For example, such as several of The Waltons season sets, and more recently the Wonder Woman complete series set. (Though nothing so far done by Fox).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I generally don't trust the amazon listings 100%.

In the case of Fox released titles, I'll only trust what I read on the packaging of the dvd (or bluray) set when I see it at an offline retailer. For many Fox tv season sets, they will explicitly state how many discs are in the set and whether the discs are double-sided or not. (Usually on the back cover).

In the case of this these Futurama and Remington Steele complete series sets, I first want to see what they look like at an offline retailer (such as Wallyworld or BB) and what information is stated on the back cover.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Let's hope either Universal or a third party company (ie. Shout Factory, etc ...) ends up releasing a complete series set for Alfred Hitchcock Presents, in the near future. (Even if it is an amazon exclusive).

In such a complete series set, Universal will most likely redo season 1 as single-sided discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

In terms of extensively reauthoring discs or whole entire season sets, it appears Universal is willing to do that in a few cases. For stuff which is more than just cosmetic (ie. newer Universal logos, changing the disc label on the menus from "disc 1B" to "disc 2", "disc 2A" to "disc 3", etc ....), it appears Universal is willing to do extensive reauthoring if it reduces a particular season set's disc count to six discs or less.

In the past, this was done for season 3 of Sliders in the first Universal released Sliders complete series set (now out of print). The original flipper version of season 3 had four double-sided flipper discs where disc4 was just one episode, a few special features, and bonus episodes from other shows. (The Law & Order SVU season 5 flipper dvd set had a similar layout too). In the single-sided discs re-released version of Sliders season 3 in the first Universal released complete series set, the sixth single-sided disc was reauthored such that the single episode and gag reel from the original flipper disc4 was crammed along with the four episodes from the original flipper disc3B.

This style of reauthoring was also done for the low-budget repackaged/re-released version of season 1 dvd set of Heroes. Some of the special features on the original disc 7 were dropped, and the single episode on the original disc 7 was crammed along with the four episodes from the original disc 6, into a new reauthored disc 6.

More recently in the re-released single-sided discs version of Baa Baa Black Sheep season 1, it appears the content from the original two double-sided flipper discs from volume 1, were extensively reauthored into two single-sided discs with five/six episodes crammed per single-sided disc.

If Universal had taken the lazy way out and just replicated the original volume1 flipper disc sides with minor cosmetic changes, then such a (hypothetical) season 1 Baa Baa Black Sheep set would have been a 7 single-sided discs set.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With the recent precedent of Baa Baa Black Sheep season 1, I'm predicting there are might be other possible Universal double-sided flipper disc seasons sets which will likely have some extensive reauthoring into six episodes crammed per single-sided disc. The prime candidates for this style of reauthoring would be Seaquest DSV season 1 and the Earth 2 complete series sets.

SeaquestDSV season 1 and Earth2 complete series, were both originally released as four double-sided flipper discs where each disc had three-episodes per flipper side (making it six episodes per flipper disc). The SeaquestDSV season 2 dvd set appears to have a similar layout, except it was released as an 8 single-sided discs set.

If I had to guess, these two shows were probably edited on videotape in postproduction where the picture quality won't be much better without doing an extensive StarTrek TNG style of restoration. (My eight-disc dvd set of SeaquestDSV season 2 looks like typical 1990s era videotape editing quality). So cramming six episodes onto a single-sided disc might not be as problematic or drastic.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

In terms of extensively reauthoring discs or whole entire season sets, it appears Universal is willing to do that in a few cases. For stuff which is more than just cosmetic (ie. newer Universal logos, changing the disc label on the menus from "disc 1B" to "disc 2", "disc 2A" to "disc 3", etc ....), it appears Universal is willing to do extensive reauthoring if it reduces a particular season set's disc count to six discs or less.

The only semi-plausible reason I can think of offhand for Universal doing this, is cutting down on costs.

It appears for more than six discs, they have to either use a larger sized viva multidisc case or two separate cases. For example, such as the Universal released 8-disc season 4 dvd set of The Six Million Dollar Man, or the 10-disc re-released single-sided dvd discs version of the original Battlestar Galactica.

(Offhand I can't think of any 7-disc re-released/repackaged tv season sets done by Universal).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Updated list of Universal flipper sets not yet re-released as single-sided discs).

Law & Order SVU - seasons 2 and 5

Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3

Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1

Quicy, M.E. - seasons 1/2

Adam-12 - season 1

Dragnet 1967 - season 1

McCloud - season 2

SeaQuest DSV - season 1

Cleopatra 2525 - complete series

Earth 2 - complete series

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of Warner, assuming the upcoming Kung-Fu and Dukes re-releases pan out and are indeed single-sided discs, the remaining outstanding flipper tv season sets not yet re-released as single-sided discs are:

MadTV - season 1

Without a Trace - season 1

the original V - two movies + season 1

The Waltons - seasons 8 and 9

the original Dallas - seasons 1/2 to 13

(Excluding the HB and other cartoon/animation season sets originally released as flipper discs by Warner).

Last edited:

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Hmmm ......

Also on November 14, 2017, season 1 of Dukes of Hazzard being re-released as a three-disc set.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-First-Season/dp/B07537JZNZ/

Another complete series set version is also being released on November 14, 2017 as a 40-disc set.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-Various/dp/B0752Y195X/

If this newer complete series set includes this 3-disc reauthored season 1 set, then I'm guessing this particular newer complete series set might have the 2-disc reunion movies set.

Probably just wishful thinking, but maybe these will use the new HD masters. Mill Creek used the HD masters for Knight Rider on dvd (5-6 episodes on each single sided disc) before putting out the blu rays.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Interesting. Did Warner recently make new HD transfers for Dukes of Hazzard?

(I'm not currently subscribed to any basic cable channels which play Dukes reruns).

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Interesting. Did Warner recently make new HD transfers for Dukes of Hazzard?

(I'm not currently subscribed to any basic cable channels which play Dukes reruns).

Well maybe I shouldn't have said new. They are a few years old now.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This is purely speculation).

If we give Fox the benefit of the doubt, let's hope that this upcoming Remington Steele complete series set is redone as single-sided discs (possibly as six-episodes crammed per single-sided disc).

If this indeed turns out to be the case, then other Fox "complete series" sets all redone as single-sided discs could be shows where Fox previously released all (or almost all) the seasons as flipper sets, such as:

- The Pretender

- The White Shadow

- The Addams Family

- Reba

- Space Above and Beyond

- Alien Nation (both series and post-series telefilms)

- The Lone Gunmen

- The Riches

- Christy

- Voyage at the Bottom of the Sea

- Lost In Space

- Time Tunnel

- Land of the Giants

The Mary Tyler Moore show could be easily done as a complete series, where the flipper disc3 of season 2 is repressed as two single-sided discs.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Mary Tyler Moore show could be easily done as a complete series, where the flipper disc3 of season 2 is repressed as two single-sided discs.

So, IOW, that second-season MTM release could be a new four-disc release if this is done? That's how I'm reading you.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So, IOW, that second-season MTM release could be a new four-disc release if this is done? That's how I'm reading you.

Yeah.

I suspect one reason why there has not been an official Mary Tyler Moore Show complete series set released yet (in region 1), is the presence of that flipper disc in the season 2 set.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For the other Fox tv season sets originally released as double-sided flipper discs, I suspect Fox has already "washed their hands" of the stalled shows like St Elsewhere, Anything But Love, Dharma & Greg, etc ...

For Fox shows which have already been outsourced to third party movie companies like ShoutFactory, Kino, Olive, etc ..., most likely they will only be re-released as single-sided discs when the third party companies release complete series sets. For example: King of the Hill seasons 3 to 6, the original Outer Limits, NYPD Blue seasons 3 and 4, Big Valley season 1, Flipper season 1, etc ...

For other flipper disc shows like In Living Color and The Simple Life, I have no idea what Fox will do.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The disc counts for the upcoming Dukes and Kung-Fu re-releases on November 14, 2017, were recently updated on amazon. (I won't bother with links).

Dukes of Hazzard

season 1 = 3 discs
season 2 = 5 discs
season 3 = 5 discs
season 4 = 6 discs
season 5 = 5 discs
season 6 = 5 discs
season 7 = 4 discs

Kung-Fu

season 1 = 4 discs
season 2 = 6 discs
season 3 = 6 discs

As a guess, these updated disc counts would be consistent with being reauthored into 4 or 5 episodes per single-sided disc.

Let's also hope they used more recent HD transfers for all these re-released Dukes season sets. (Dunno if Kung-Fu has any newer HD transfers).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There's also a listing for a repackaged/re-release of the Justice League complete series dvd set, which appears to be a 10-disc set being released on October 17, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Complete-Various/dp/B0758GTBXL

The mockup image of the back cover on the amazon page asserts discs 1-6 cover seasons 1 and 2 of Justice League, while discs 7-10 covers Justice League Unlimited seasons 1 and 2. (There's a slight technicality about the Justice League Unlimited seasons which I won't go into, but is discussed on the wikipedia page).

IIRC, the original 2006-2007 dvd releases of these Justice League sets had disc counts of:

Justice League: season 1 = 4 discs, season 2 = 4 discs
Justice League Unlimited: season 1 = 4 discs, season 2 = 2 discs

Justice League had 52 episodes and Justice League Unlimited had 39 episodes, for a total a total of 91 episodes.

The 10 discs count for the upcoming re-packaged/re-released Justice League complete series dvd set would be consistent with a reauthoring into nine or ten 22-minute episodes per disc. (No definitive word yet on whether any of the special features from the original 2006-2007 dvd versions will be carried over into this repackaged/released 2017 version).

I wouldn't be surprised if the next DC animated dvd season sets to be repackaged/re-released, will be the 1990s era Superman and Batman animated series sets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks