What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Bones rerelease makes sense since the complete series release is coming in June (probably on the same day).

If Fox is only doing this because of an official Bones complete series set, then this may suggest that Fox might be very reluctant to release "official" complete series sets with double-sided flipper discs?

If so, then perhaps this might explain why an official Mary Tyler Moore complete series set has not been released yet. (ie. The third disc in season 2 of Mary Tyler Moore is a double-sided DVD14 flipper disc).

Fox might not want the "taint / stink" of double-sided flipper discs scaring away potential customers of an official complete series set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Fox is only doing this because of an official Bones complete series set, then this may suggest that Fox might be very reluctant to release "official" complete series sets with double-sided flipper discs?

If so, then perhaps this might explain why an official Mary Tyler Moore complete series set has not been released yet. (ie. The third disc in season 2 of Mary Tyler Moore is a double-sided DVD14 flipper disc).

Fox might not want the "taint / stink" of double-sided flipper discs scaring away potential customers of an official complete series set.

I was going to mention the first 4 seasons sold together in Wal-Mart, but those appear to just be four seasons shrinkwrapped together.

It could also explain why shows like Reba never got a cheap complete series release, since that show is mostly flippers.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was going to mention the first 4 seasons sold together in Wal-Mart, but those appear to just be four seasons shrinkwrapped together.

At minimum, I would guess an "official" complete series set would be one that has a giant box to put all the dvd season sets into. Like what was done for Buffy The Vampire Slayer, White Collar, Burn Notice, etc ...

Something with the dvd sets wrapped together in masking tape and shrinkwrap, all done in a half-assed manner, would probably be an "unofficial" complete series set (or partial series set).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I
At minimum, I would guess an "official" complete series set would be one that has a giant box to put all the dvd season sets into. Like what was done for Buffy The Vampire Slayer, White Collar, Burn Notice, etc ...

Something with the dvd sets wrapped together in masking tape and shrinkwrap, all done in a half-assed manner, would probably be an "unofficial" complete series set (or partial series set).

Depends on the company.

The CBS series All have the decent epic pak collections, usuallly split into half series chunks for the extremely long running series, or complete series for 6 seasons or less.

But that's CBS. Fox just seems to do shrink wrapping for store exclusives if they haven't done an official release yet.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It could also explain why shows like Reba never got a cheap complete series release, since that show is mostly flippers.

(More generally).

Judging by the upcoming Bones complete series set, my guess is if Fox were to ever release any official complete series sets for their tv shows which had some or all of the seasons done as double-sided flipper discs, they might re-author the discs to reduce the single-sided discs count. For example, shows like: Remington Steele, The Pretender, Reba, etc ...

IIRC, the layout of the DVD14 flipper discs season sets of Remington Steele and The Pretender were very similar to the layout of the original flipper disc season 1 of Bones. So in principle they can use the same template of the 6-disc single-sided discs version of Bones season 1, where the flipper side 1B, side 2A, side 2B, side 3B, side 4A are reauthored into single-sided disc2, disc3, and disc5 respectively. (Respectively side 1A becomes disc1, side 3A becomes disc 4, and side 4B becomes disc6).

In the case of seasons 1 to 4 of Reba, in principle each DVD10 flipper disc might be reauthored into a single-sided dual-layered DVD9 disc. (Perhaps also for Alien Nation, The Lone Gunmen, and Christy).

In the case of shows like Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, it would probably be a complete overhaul to reauthor the dvd sets.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I passed through the dvd/bluray section at Wallyworld recently, and noticed they had the re-packaged/re-released versions of the Wonder Woman season 2 and season 3 dvd sets.

Judging by the packaging thickness and weight of these season 2 and season 3 sets, my guess is that they are 4-disc sets. (ie. They look very similar to the Dukes of Hazzard re-packaged/re-released versions of the seasons 2, 3, and 6 sets released in canada several years ago).

So what you're saying with this is that the redone Wonder Woman second- and third-season releases were done after the same manner as that of the sixth and final go (1982-83) of CHiPs? Unbelievable! At least they're singles, though.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So what you're saying with this is that the redone Wonder Woman second- and third-season releases were done after the same manner as that of the sixth and final go (1982-83) of CHiPs? Unbelievable! At least they're singles, though.

Currently unknown. I didn't buy these re-packaged/re-released versions of WW season 2 and 3.

So far no comments on amazon about these re-packaged/re-released versions either. If they are indeed single-sided discs, most likely a "verified purchaser" would have said something about it. Also no unboxing photos/videos yet.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wasn't NG always single-sided discs? Albeit with crappy picture quality.

That complete series set is probably just bundling up the previous season sets into one package of 10 discs.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Yes, I have the Night Gallery releases and they were always single-sided discs.

On another topic...I'm assuming that new "Diamond Collection" Hanna-Barbera reissues are all single sided discs???

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
On another topic...I'm assuming that new "Diamond Collection" Hanna-Barbera reissues are all single sided discs???

Rumor has it, the "special features" discs (or flipper sides) might be dropped in the diamond collection re-releases. Though no definitive word yet.

Does anybody have the re-released/re-repackaged diamond collection versions of Flintstones season 1 or Scooby Doo Where Are you season 3 ? (These originally had flipper discs).

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a complete list of all the flipper titles (and re-issues) that is kept up to date? I was hoping the original post might be that resource, but no.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Wasn't NG always single-sided discs? Albeit with crappy picture quality.

That complete series set is probably just bundling up the previous season sets into one package of 10 discs.

10 discs just like the individual season sets, but did they have all those commentary tracks on them that are on the new set? I do like the artwork on this new set. I only ever bought season 2 and I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My first thought would be to buy the "flipper" set if it was the only game in town and I had to have it, and then copy the discs on to 1 sided DVD-rs.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
10 discs just like the individual season sets, but did they have all those commentary tracks on them that are on the new set? I do like the artwork on this new set. I only ever bought season 2 and I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

John:

I can confirm that all of the the bonus features on the complete series release were ported over from the seasons 2 and 3 individual releases. So if someone already owns the all three individual season sets there is no reason to buy the complete series since there is nothing new in it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Dropped by the local BB on the way home, and noticed they had the re-released season 1 set of Bones on the "new releases" shelves. (The original version of season 1, was four double-sided DVD14 type flipper discs).

Reading the back cover, it explicitly mentions that it is a six disc set. This most likely means it is reauthored to 4 episodes per single-sided disc (except for the final sixth disc).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With this precedent, let's hope that Fox eventually reauthors and re-releases the Remington Steele and The Pretender dvd season sets as four episodes per single-sided disc. (Possibly as single-side discs complete series sets).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks