Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by UniversalPhan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    At least for these ^ Universal complete series sets, they used the single-sided discs re-released versions of the former flipper season sets (ie. Columbo season 3, Magnum PI seasons 1 to 4, Murder She Wrote seasons 1 to 3).

What is currently unknown, is whether Fox will do anything about the Bones season 1 set.

For example, will Fox re-release season 1 as an 8 single-sided discs set? (ie. Replicating the flipper discs sides into single-sided discs with very little to no reauthoring).

Another hypothetical possibility mentioned earlier, is Fox extensively reauthoring Bones season 1 into a 6 single-sided discs set, with 4-episodes per single-sided disc.

(One can imagine other hypothetical reauthoring combinations).

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr

For that matter with some further searching, I found another odd looking amazon listing for Wonder Woman season 1 with the same release date of May 2, 2017, with a possibly incorrect mockup image (suggesting 3 discs).

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Complete-First-Season/dp/B06XT497R9/

For the Wonder Woman season 1 set, I doubt Warner is going to go through the trouble of reauthoring the entire set into 3 single-sided discs, when it has already been re-released as 5 single-sided discs.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the person who created these mock-up pictures on amazon, probably didn't know much about these old Wonder Woman sets and double-sided flipper discs.

3. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
  4. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I'm hoping they continue on with the McCloud seasons?

James

Mr. Handley likes this.
  5. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Great news! Glad I held out on buying McCloud.

6. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Yes, that and Dragnet: Season One (1966-67).

Darby67 likes this.
  7. phenri

phenri Stunt Coordinator

Paul
    Also, Adam 12: Season 1 and Quincy: Seasons 1 and 2.

Bob_S. and Darby67 like this.
  8. GMBurns

GMBurns Stunt Coordinator

Glenn
    Does anyone know if this re-release of McCloud will have the same edited/smooshed versions of the first 6 hour-long episodes? I will probably buy this re-release to get the pilot film, and will hope they also re-release season 2 at some point. But I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch those 6-into-3 rearranged episodes, as everything I've read makes it sound like they are butchered beyond compare.

Mr. Handley and bmasters9 like this.
  9. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I don't know for sure, but 340 minutes sounds very much like the pilot and the reedited first season.

10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Hmmmm ..... 4 x 85 minutes = 340 minutes.

If this is indeed the case, then it sounds like Universal being really lazy + greedy, by just replicating the old flipper disc sides of the first flipper disc into two single-sided sics (with minimal reauthoring of the menus), and calling these two single-sided discs as "season 1". The two remaining flipper discs from the old season 1+2 McCloud flipper set, will probably be subsequently released as a "season 2" set with 4 single-sided discs replicatinh the flipper sides.

If Universal is going down this route, then it probably wouldn't be too surprising if they end up doing the same thing for Quincy ME, with the old season 1+2 flipper set being split up into single-sided discs re-releases as separate season 1 and season 2 sets.

11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Went through a local dump bin at lunch earlier today).

Picked up another annoying flipper disc set: Riches season 2. It consists of two DVD10 type double-sided flipper discs, with 7 episodes.

(The Riches season 1 set was four single-sided discs).

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    What a waste-- two doubles for seven episodes on that second-season Riches release! I would have thought they would be singles.

13. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    They've done it before.

Law and Order season 14 never was fixed from the original 2005 release, which contained syndicated prints in the incorrect 4x3 aspect ratio. All they did was repress the bad episodes onto single sided discs for the complete series and the single release that followed.

14. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

If there are any Fox reissues, put me down for Remington Steele on single-sided disks -- even if the same masters.

bmasters9 and JamesSmith like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    Indeed-- 8-disc single redos for the first three gos (1982-85), and a 10-disc single redo for the combined fourth and fifth release (1985-87).

16. WendyCR

WendyCR Auditioning

Do you have a region-free player? Because Amazon.de (Germany) sells Remington Steele and all seasons are single-sided. Horrible packaging (the old fold-out accordion style), but the single-sided discs make the inconvenience worth it.

If Universal wants to do another re-release, feel free to re-release Law & Order: Criminal Intent Season 3 with single-sided discs. It is the only one out of the ten seasons that is double sided. As with Remington Steele, both the UK and German releases are single sided, but it would be nice if this was a domestic release in the US, too.