What's new

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release? (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
At least Cheers did have some music replaced, but what I mean is that any show that was post-produced on videotape probably won't look good on Blu-Ray. I know Star Trek: TNG did get one Blu-Ray release, but sales fell.

~Ben

Okay, but Lord Tom Dalek and myself were talking about wanting to see Tales From The Darkside being restored to their original broadcast versions, we didn't say it needed to be on Blu-ray, will take a nice cleaned up DVD set with all the music restored and anything else Paramount cut out from the DVD's.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
At least Cheers did have some music replaced, but what I mean is that any show that was post-produced on videotape probably won't look good on Blu-Ray. I know Star Trek: TNG did get one Blu-Ray release, but sales fell.

~Ben

Anything Star Trek gets preferential treatment, and even that was not enough to boost sales, confirming my view that the Warner/Sony/Mill Creek complete series release pattern is preferable to Paramount's stop-gap throw-season-1-to-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks release pattern. But as for Cheers, I mentioned earlier that they actually have HD masters for the whole show according to the CBS TV Syndication Bible:

The information in this package is subject to change and was last updated 01/24/12.

This series is closed-captioned for syndication and network and is in stereo.

This series has Network version Latin American Spanish masters.

This series has been transferred into HD and has the following masters:

Network and Syndication 4x3 Anamorphic HD

16x9 Tilt &Scan HD exists for 87 episodes. 86 episodes (1-77, 80, 83, 84, 88, 90-94) have Network 16x9, but not Syndication. An additional episode #79 has a 16x9 Syndication version but not one for Network. The remaining episodes do not have 16x9 versions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not for anything, but I have dozens of shows I want from the 50s, 60s and 70s which haven't come out at all which I would be more interested in rather than re-releases of things we already have.
Same here. And that's in spite of really enjoying some of the BR upgrades of much loved series (Dick Van Dyke, Monty Python, Rockford Files, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek, and several others). I'm mostly interested in re-releases only if they *fix* prior issues - like Universal's DVD18s, Fox's DVD14's, basically any flippy release that's prone to skipping/hanging/stuttering.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see the 80's BBC series 'Allo 'Allo!' get a re-release set. The first time it was released was back in 2002 which was the same year that many other Britcoms were being released as well. Since then though only the fan favorites that are Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, and As Time Goes By are the only ones with re-releases.

Are you region-free and can handle PAL discs? You can get the show for peanuts in R2/UK, though they don't have all the extras that the Region 1 sets have. Glad I got mine as they came out.

As you say, the US wing of the BBC isn't showing the love for this show that they are for the other three. My guess as to why is because 'Allo 'Allo was syndicated on way fewer PBS stations than the other shows, likely because of the WWII/spoof setting, so therefore not as well-known by the US Britcom-watching public. Certain PBS stations (including my local one that I wrote a letter to) felt that 'making fun of the War' (their words) might be too controversial with their viewership. Seems they missed the whole point! 'Allo 'Allo is, by far, my favourite Lloyd & Croft show!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm in favor of improved DVD re-releases in cases when there were problems the first time around, for example, edited episodes, or mediocre video quality. I don't like double sided discs but a few TV shows in my DVD collection have them, shows like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel, White Shadow, Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, but fortunately I haven't had issues with these discs and they play fine.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There may be other reasons why one episode is shorter than others. The Rockford Files generally began with a 30-second teaser of scenes from that episode. There is at least one episode ("Joey Blue Eyes") which has a longer teaser (perhaps the episode ran short). Usually these were the same sequences shown at the end of the previous episode as "scenes from our next episode." These two sequences are not ads but a part of the episode count. Usually the scenes from next week are not included on DVD, etc. So an episode with a longer preview/teaser would have more cut out of that episode without anything cut from the episode itself. Another less-likely explanation would be if the network informed the producers that they needed an extra commercial (perhaps for a political purpose) so the episode was cut before broadcast and that became the official version of the episode or maybe nobody ever bothered to restore it to the original length.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Perry Mason, seasons 5-7. Why?

The end credits. Season 5, starting with the third episode, had the split ending theme to allow for one more commercial break (a la The Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C. and the color run of Gunsmoke).

~Ben

Not to get too technical (or anal) but the reason why it started with the third episode is because the first two episodes were really fourth-season episodes held over. This was also done at the end of the previous season which is why the first two episodes of the fourth season had the old opening credits (one of which featured William Talman long after he had been fired during the third season).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Are you region-free and can handle PAL discs? You can get the show for peanuts in R2/UK, though they don't have all the extras that the Region 1 sets have. Glad I got mine as they came out.

As you say, the US wing of the BBC isn't showing the love for this show that they are for the other three. My guess as to why is because 'Allo 'Allo was syndicated on way fewer PBS stations than the other shows, likely because of the WWII/spoof setting, so therefore not as well-known by the US Britcom-watching public. Certain PBS stations (including my local one that I wrote a letter to) felt that 'making fun of the War' (their words) might be too controversial with their viewership. Seems they missed the whole point! 'Allo 'Allo is, by far, my favourite Lloyd & Croft show!

I don't have a region free player. I've thought about getting one, but I prefer to stick with R1 releases only.

'Allo 'Allo! is satire and I take it why PBS doesn't show it too often is that they feel that people might not get that, though I don't see how that's possible. This show is so over the top that it can even out do Are You Being Served? at times with it's innuendos, hilarious visual gags, as well as the characters themselves. I saw most of 'Allo 'Allo! when someone uploaded it on YouTube from 2010-2013/2014 which is when the crack down on copyrighting came into full effect which resulted in lots of classic shows getting removed.

Last edited:

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Forever Knight season one:
Most episode transfers are horrible. The show takes place at night and poor transfers can't handle the dark.
Also, the first episode (Dark Knight part one) is the edited version shown in the US unlike the Canadian and European versions.

Here Come The Brides season two:
The opening credits are from season one and leave out actors Henry Beckman and Susan Tolsky. So they don't get any credit at all in this set.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
So could It Takes A Thief w/Robert Wagner, from the same timeframe.

I'd like to see another three-year Robert Wagner Universal series, Switch. Back in 1984 a handful of episodes were shown in syndication. About a decade later TVLand showed a different handful of episodes over and over. I had heard this series was damaged in the Universal fire, then I heard that the fire damaged mostly animated films. So I don't know if it will ever be released or even if it is possible.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Others I'd like to see be re-released for...
Star Trek (The Original Series) (1966-1969) - restore original electric violin version of theme tune on five or six season 1 episodes, including:
* The Man Trap
* Charlie X
(above two episodes also had a speedier rendition of William Shatner's narrative prologue)
* The Naked Time
* Mudd's Women
* Dagger of the Mind
Also fix assorted season 2 episodes: six had the Desilu logo less copyright notice (episodes 1-3, 7, 9 and 11); last eight had the Paramount Television "Rising Circle" logo (episodes 17, 18, 20-24 and 26)
Mission: Impossible (1966 TV series) - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes in seasons 3-7; fix incorrect audio on Desilu and Paramount logos on all season 2 episodes

~Ben

I'd love to see the original logos but don't hold your breath about Star Trek. You probably won't even see the original episodes anymore, only the ones with the new special effects. And they're not going to release episodes without a copyright notice no matter how they were shown originally. Instead of original logos, I'd like to see the third-season two-part Mission: Impossible episode "The Contender" uncut. Also, the premiere episode of Mission: Impossible and what was supposed to be the premiere of Star Trek ("Charlie X") had Mission: Impossible music during the Desilu logo.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Universal ever releases a complete series set for Law & Order SVU (Special Victims Unit), I hope they would redo season 5 with the episodes in their original broadcast 16:9 widescreen, and also as single-sided dvd discs.

The SVU season 5 dvd set released back in 2004, had all the episodes in 4:3 fullscreen and the dvd discs were originally done as double-sided flipper discs.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Real head-scratcher why Columbo isn't out on Blu-ray in full yet, except in Japan. I'd also like to see The Texan restored and/or at least its brightness timed better, it was all over the place on the Timeless DVD release, a pipe dream probably but seems like it's easily doable to correct (in theory as in practice).

I don't understand about Columbo not being released on Bluray either. There is also the first season UK release and the second season Australian release in addition to the Complete series Japanese release.

I have thought about getting each of the individual S1 and S2 releases, but I'm sure as soon as I do, a complete series US release will happen.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My DVD revisit want list:
Gunsmoke: The Complete Seasons One to Five (closing credits on some episodes were blended together; originally, the copyright screen was separated from the main body of the closing theme by one last commercial break)
Have Gun - Will Travel: The Complete Seasons One to Three (closing credits on some episodes blended together; again, the copyright screen on these episodes was separate from the main body of the closing theme due to the final commercial break)
Perry Mason: The Complete Seasons Five, Six and Seven (re-edited closing credits on most episodes, in most cases, by blending together the two parts of the closing theme, which when originally on CBS had one last commercial break inbetween; this is especially bad for seasons 6-7, in which numerous episodes hadn't aired in syndication until 1985)
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.: The Complete Season One (to include the pilot, which in fact is the season 4 finale of The Andy Griffith Show)
Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Season One (to restore the black-and-white series premiere, "The Informer," to 30:35, which was the pre-broadcast length)
The Magician (1973-74) (opening teasers missing; this is especially bad on the two-part episode "The Illusion of the Curious Counterfeit")
Angie (closing tag scenes missing from 29 episodes spanning both seasons)
Here's Boomer: The Complete First Season (the season finale "The Stableboy" (or "The Jockey") is in two parts, instead of the intended 1-hour version)
Here's Boomer: The Complete Second Season (the second 1-hour special "Boomer and Miss 21st Century" is in two parts instead)
The Powers of Matthew Star (opening teasers missing)

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'd love to see the original logos but don't hold your breath about Star Trek. You probably won't even see the original episodes anymore, only the ones with the new special effects. And they're not going to release episodes without a copyright notice no matter how they were shown originally. Instead of original logos, I'd like to see the third-season two-part Mission: Impossible episode "The Contender" uncut. Also, the premiere episode of Mission: Impossible and what was supposed to be the premiere of Star Trek ("Charlie X") had Mission: Impossible music during the Desilu logo.
I wonder if the original CBS airing of The Lucy Show episode 5x01, "Lucy Meets George Burns" (September 12, 1966), also had the special jingle heard in the Desilu logo?

~Ben

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I wonder if the original CBS airing of The Lucy Show episode 5x01, "Lucy Meets George Burns" (September 12, 1966), also had the special jingle heard in the Desilu logo?

~Ben
I never thought of checking that back in the 1970s when the series was shown in my area. Probably would have been changed by now on reruns, DVD, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks