1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Feb 27, 2019.

1. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    At least Cheers did have some music replaced, but what I mean is that any show that was post-produced on videotape probably won't look good on Blu-Ray. I know Star Trek: TNG did get one Blu-Ray release, but sales fell.

~Ben

2. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Okay, but Lord Tom Dalek and myself were talking about wanting to see Tales From The Darkside being restored to their original broadcast versions, we didn't say it needed to be on Blu-ray, will take a nice cleaned up DVD set with all the music restored and anything else Paramount cut out from the DVD's.

3. Message #163 of 176 Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

morasp likes this.
  4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Anything Star Trek gets preferential treatment, and even that was not enough to boost sales, confirming my view that the Warner/Sony/Mill Creek complete series release pattern is preferable to Paramount's stop-gap throw-season-1-to-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks release pattern. But as for Cheers, I mentioned earlier that they actually have HD masters for the whole show according to the CBS TV Syndication Bible:

5. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Not for anything, but I have dozens of shows I want from the 50s, 60s and 70s which haven't come out at all which I would be more interested in rather than re-releases of things we already have.

timk1041, Ron1973 and BobO'Link like this.
  6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Same here. And that's in spite of really enjoying some of the BR upgrades of much loved series (Dick Van Dyke, Monty Python, Rockford Files, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek, and several others). I'm mostly interested in re-releases only if they *fix* prior issues - like Universal's DVD18s, Fox's DVD14's, basically any flippy release that's prone to skipping/hanging/stuttering.

Mr. Handley likes this.
  7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Are you region-free and can handle PAL discs? You can get the show for peanuts in R2/UK, though they don't have all the extras that the Region 1 sets have. Glad I got mine as they came out.

As you say, the US wing of the BBC isn't showing the love for this show that they are for the other three. My guess as to why is because 'Allo 'Allo was syndicated on way fewer PBS stations than the other shows, likely because of the WWII/spoof setting, so therefore not as well-known by the US Britcom-watching public. Certain PBS stations (including my local one that I wrote a letter to) felt that 'making fun of the War' (their words) might be too controversial with their viewership. Seems they missed the whole point! 'Allo 'Allo is, by far, my favourite Lloyd & Croft show!

darkrock17 and BobO'Link like this.
  8. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I'm in favor of improved DVD re-releases in cases when there were problems the first time around, for example, edited episodes, or mediocre video quality. I don't like double sided discs but a few TV shows in my DVD collection have them, shows like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel, White Shadow, Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, but fortunately I haven't had issues with these discs and they play fine.

9. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    There may be other reasons why one episode is shorter than others. The Rockford Files generally began with a 30-second teaser of scenes from that episode. There is at least one episode ("Joey Blue Eyes") which has a longer teaser (perhaps the episode ran short). Usually these were the same sequences shown at the end of the previous episode as "scenes from our next episode." These two sequences are not ads but a part of the episode count. Usually the scenes from next week are not included on DVD, etc. So an episode with a longer preview/teaser would have more cut out of that episode without anything cut from the episode itself. Another less-likely explanation would be if the network informed the producers that they needed an extra commercial (perhaps for a political purpose) so the episode was cut before broadcast and that became the official version of the episode or maybe nobody ever bothered to restore it to the original length.

10. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    Not to get too technical (or anal) but the reason why it started with the third episode is because the first two episodes were really fourth-season episodes held over. This was also done at the end of the previous season which is why the first two episodes of the fourth season had the old opening credits (one of which featured William Talman long after he had been fired during the third season).

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. Message #171 of 176 Nov 14, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I don't have a region free player. I've thought about getting one, but I prefer to stick with R1 releases only.

'Allo 'Allo! is satire and I take it why PBS doesn't show it too often is that they feel that people might not get that, though I don't see how that's possible. This show is so over the top that it can even out do Are You Being Served? at times with it's innuendos, hilarious visual gags, as well as the characters themselves. I saw most of 'Allo 'Allo! when someone uploaded it on YouTube from 2010-2013/2014 which is when the crack down on copyrighting came into full effect which resulted in lots of classic shows getting removed.

12. sullum

sullum Agent

Sam
    Forever Knight season one:
    Most episode transfers are horrible. The show takes place at night and poor transfers can't handle the dark.
    Also, the first episode (Dark Knight part one) is the edited version shown in the US unlike the Canadian and European versions.

Here Come The Brides season two:
    The opening credits are from season one and leave out actors Henry Beckman and Susan Tolsky. So they don't get any credit at all in this set.

13. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    I'd like to see another three-year Robert Wagner Universal series, Switch. Back in 1984 a handful of episodes were shown in syndication. About a decade later TVLand showed a different handful of episodes over and over. I had heard this series was damaged in the Universal fire, then I heard that the fire damaged mostly animated films. So I don't know if it will ever be released or even if it is possible.

14. Message #174 of 176 Nov 14, 2019
    Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    I'd love to see the original logos but don't hold your breath about Star Trek. You probably won't even see the original episodes anymore, only the ones with the new special effects. And they're not going to release episodes without a copyright notice no matter how they were shown originally. Instead of original logos, I'd like to see the third-season two-part Mission: Impossible episode "The Contender" uncut. Also, the premiere episode of Mission: Impossible and what was supposed to be the premiere of Star Trek ("Charlie X") had Mission: Impossible music during the Desilu logo.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  15. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    If Universal ever releases a complete series set for Law & Order SVU (Special Victims Unit), I hope they would redo season 5 with the episodes in their original broadcast 16:9 widescreen, and also as single-sided dvd discs.

The SVU season 5 dvd set released back in 2004, had all the episodes in 4:3 fullscreen and the dvd discs were originally done as double-sided flipper discs.

16. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I don't understand about Columbo not being released on Bluray either. There is also the first season UK release and the second season Australian release in addition to the Complete series Japanese release.

I have thought about getting each of the individual S1 and S2 releases, but I'm sure as soon as I do, a complete series US release will happen.