1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Message #121 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That could have been also the issue with that second-season Riptide episode "It's a Vial Sort of Business"-- a scene had to be cut, possibly for music, and that could explain the 41-min. runtime, when episodes of anything then would usually be in the 47-48 range.

Lecagr likes this.
  2. Message #122 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    With the show coming back to TV*, the Punky Brewster DVDs could do with an upgrade; the masters for the live-action show on NBC.com look like earlier generation tapes and do a better job preserving logos for Coca-Cola Telecommunications and Columbia Pictures Television. Navigating the rights to get it out was the accomplishment, but Shout! had to settle for multi-generation non-American dubs just to have it uncut. Season 1 had some tape dropouts, Season 2, when NBC went to stereo, was in mono and had horrible sibilance issues on anything with the letter S, especially the theme song. Season 3 had a bit of DNR (painfully obvious in wide shots where facial details disappear) and some weird audio issues on a couple of episodes that sound like they have two different music cues overlapping each other. At least they didn't settle for cut jobs of seasons 1 and 2 like Lionsgate did for the entirety of ALF, for which you need to go region-free to watch the way it was on NBC. It apparently outsold some of its contemporaries that got higher ratings and ran longer, yet if Sony had kept it for themselves, we'd have gotten one season and nothing else like a lot of the 1980s shows they own. The animated show was shot on film and edited on tape and could theoretically be bumped up to HD if they found the negatives, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything, the live-action version felt more "animated." So it was no Gummi Bears or Garfield, but at least it wasn't a glorified toy commercial like Pound Puppies, the show Nancy Cartwright was doing before she became Bart Simpson; even that show's theme song was a sales pitch! Ami Foster, who played Margaux Kramer on Punky and was also a Peanuts voice at one point, was in it, too, and they both went down together in 1987.**

Of course, I'd rather someone finish Silver Spoons first. I have the means to tide myself over until the real deal comes along, but it's just not the same as a real release and never will be.***

I have no objections to that, but I'd just be happy with Knots Landing getting done at all, even if it looks no better than the last wave of cable reruns. Would you buy a book with pages and whole chapters missing? Glad I taped it off SoapNet when I had the chance.

Dallas on DVD still looked better than The Waltons, which was a mixed bag, to say the least. Some of the early episodes looked like faded beat-up 16mm prints. And that show was done entirely on film throughout. Hopefully, they can restore and remaster it in HD the same way Lionsgate did with Little House on the Prairie so I can finally say good night to those DVDs.

*I sense a disturbance in the force named Freddie Prinze, Jr. Except this wasn't 100% out of left-field: one of Punky's original writers, Carmen Finestra, wrote for Chico and the Man.
    **Of the two sitcom Kramers, the other one being from Seinfeld, she wasn't the one who made a spectacle of herself in front of black hecklers in real life.
    ***1980s nostalgia is a small price to pay for surviving the 1970s, which I wasn't even around for. The Eighties will be to the next decade as the 1940s was to it.

Bryan^H and bmasters9 like this.
  3. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    I haven't read every post so these may have been mentioned already but there are a lot of shows that have been remastered since their DVD release and look fantastic

Magnum PI
    Murder She Wrote
    Emergency
    Mash

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Netflix had all 12 seasons of Murder She Wrote in 4x3 HD on Netflix. Now gone.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Amazon has 1-5

Jeff Flugel and MatthewA like this.
  6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The first is already on Blu-ray in France. I was hoping Mill Creek would get the rights and release it all in one fell swoop like Columbo, The Rockford Files, and Miami Vice and like they are currently doing with the Sony-owned Charlie's Angels.

Jeff Flugel and morasp like this.
  7. Message #127 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    I would definitely order it if they did, it's one of my top 10 favorite shows.

Jeff Flugel and MatthewA like this.
  8. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Seasons 4 and 5 of Emergency would definitely need to be reissued on DVD but I imagine it's probably unlikely to happen.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  9. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Probably not but we can always hope.

Jeff Flugel and Lecagr like this.
  10. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Wow that's a pretty big edit if the episode runs only 41 minutes when it's supposed to be in the 47-48 range.

There's an episode titled "The Offer" on the 1st season DVD of The White Shadow that has a chunk of the episode removed, a scene containing some music was deleted.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and MatthewA like this.
  11. Message #131 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Music isn't getting better but it's getting more expensive to license. Seven freaking minutes! This has got to stop. Not only is it keeping shows from getting done, but it's still getting released shows mangled in 2019.

I'd like to see someone do a TV show with literally no music at all just to spite the industry for its greed and underhanded theft. Larry Gelbart tried a show called United States in 1980 on NBC starring Beau Bridges with no background music, theme song, laugh track, or studio audience, and handwritten credits, but like most shows there under Fred Silverman's watch, it flopped.

Jeff Flugel, bmasters9 and MartinP. like this.
  12. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Another alternative would be to use classical music. Everybody remembers The Lone Ranger's use of Rossini's William Tell overture, but I recall hearing some Wagner and Berlioz in some of their music cues as well. The only show I know of these days that uses classical music is Mom, with its little snippets.

MatthewA and bmasters9 like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That works as long as you hire musicians to record the pieces and stipulate in the contracts it's a "we own it when done" performance. If you use something already recorded rights come into play again. In those cases, it's not the *work* that's at issue but the *performance.*

MatthewA likes this.
  14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Exactly. And that's the distinction some people don't understand. When a character sings a song on a TV show, you just pay for the song. When you use a recording of that same song, you pay for both the song and the performance.

Cartoons used to do it all the time. Walt Disney built a whole movie around it. Even as late as Hanna-Barbera's Smurfs, Hoyt Curtin was still quoting Tchaikovsky, Bach, and Beethoven, among others, in the underscore.

15. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    The first season of The Wild Wild West needs a restoration and Blu-Ray edition
    because some prints are too soft: see “The Night The Wizard Shook The Earth",
    “The Night of the Howling Light”.

16. Message #136 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Perry Mason, seasons 5-7. Why?

The end credits. Season 5, starting with the third episode, had the split ending theme to allow for one more commercial break (a la The Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C. and the color run of Gunsmoke).

Seasons 6-7 also had split ending credits, but unlike the majority of season 5, the first part is longer than the second part. In all cases, the second part begins with the show's title in quotes. But when released on DVD, several episodes from these three seasons had the two parts joined together and using, I think, the season 8-9 version of the theme tune.

~Ben

RocketRobz and bmasters9 like this.
  17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    If you don't write the contract for those songs sung by a cast member correctly you're back at rights issues for future media. I give you The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. as examples.

MatthewA likes this.
  18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Lack of foresight about a day when movies and TV shows could be owned like books notwithstanding, if the wording is confusing, then you can still end up in court. I see your Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle and raise you two CBS/Paramount music rights lawsuits over Family Ties and The Andy Griffith Show and a Disney lawsuit over Peggy Lee's Lady and the Tramp royalties.

19. WendyCR

WendyCR Stunt Coordinator

Not the whole series, as the other seasons were fine, but I would love a Region 1 re-release of Season 3 of Law & Order: Criminal Intent as it was curiously the only season (out of ten) to have the dreaded flipper discs.

20. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I believe that I am the sole remaining person in the USA who's never seen a single frame of any LAW & ORDER series, which had to be amazing as there have to be a huge number of seasons and episodes between the multiple series.

bmasters9 likes this.