What's new

Looks as if The Bionic Woman will be making its Blu-Ray debut on 8/30/2022 according to TV Shows on DVD's forum...details below. (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Spotted this in the TV Shows on DVD section on this site...

COMING ON 8/30:

* The Bionic Woman - The Complete Series: Collector's Edition (Shout! Factory)
Blu-ray Disc
NOT LISTED FOR PRE-ORDER AT THE TIME OF THIS WRITING
EXTRAS: in progress and will be announced at a later date
-----She can hear things undetectable to the human ear. She can crush steel in one hand. She can run faster than a sports car. She is The Bionic Woman: the world's first female cyborg...and the role model who inspired an entire generation! Join Primetime Emmy Award winner Lindsay Wagner in all 58 action-packed episodes from the complete, iconic series. From the early days with her new abilities, to her changing relationship with Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man), to her increasingly dangerous role as a secret agent, Jaime Sommers' incredible, trailblazing journey is chronicled here, and it remains an indelible chapter in television history. 18-disc set.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I always liked this series much better than the 6m man. Glad it’s also coming to blu.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Interesting to note that one of the reunion films is being given a 2K scan. I was under the impression that all 3 reunion moves were shot on a odd late 80s videotape rather than film (like the 88-89 revival of Mission Impossible series). So could all 3 reunion movies be in HD, The German bluray set of $6m Man featured all 3 reunions in standard def.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
How so? I though they were pretty similar series.
I suppose the most obvious distinction is that leads were different genders. It seems the Bionic Woman was allowed to be more emotional, and wear her heart on her sleeve, while Steve was more serious. Plus Jaime went all all those fun undercover assignments like beauty pageants and female wrestling! Also a lot of little boys watching the show at the time (myself included) were going through puberty, so there's that angle. At the time, I preferred Lindsay Wagner over any of Charlie's Angels and Wonder Woman, too!

Real Name
anthony dasher
Well, for one thing she was a superior actor. She won an Emmy for best dramatic actress in a science fiction show. Nominated the year before as well. That’s hard to do especially in 1977 She was also the first woman to front an hour long dramatic series. She and her manager Ron Samuels negotiated the sweetest deal at the time getting her 35k an episode and pretty much took the Universal Tower for all the money they could get. And the writers knew how to write for her, Doomday is Tomorrow and Deadly Ringer are 2 of the most well constructed examples of episodic television from that era. Lindsey is extremely likable in the role and brought depth and humanity to any otherwise wooden genre.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I suppose the most obvious distinction is that leads were different genders. It seems the Bionic Woman was allowed to be more emotional, and wear her heart on her sleeve, while Steve was more serious. Plus Jaime went all all those fun undercover assignments like beauty pageants and female wrestling! Also a lot of little boys watching the show at the time (myself included) were going through puberty, so there's that angle. At the time, I preferred Lindsay Wagner over any of Charlie's Angels and Wonder Woman, too!
Thanks! Maybe I'll have to pick up the blu-ray. It was on in syndication when I was a kid, but I never watched it past the intro, as the soft music and lots of smiling cast photos made it appear a little soap operaish to me at the time.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
She and her manager Ron Samuels negotiated the sweetest deal at the time getting her 35k an episode and pretty much took the Universal Tower for all the money they could get.
Yes, that is a great story how Universal didn't renew Lindsay's contract and let her go right after she filmed that first guest shot as Jaime on the Six Million Dollar Man. But after the episode aired and got huge ratings and ABC wanted a spinoff, Universal realized they made a mistake and they had to pay big bucks to get her back! LOL :biggrin::P

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, for one thing she was a superior actor. She won an Emmy for best dramatic actress in a science fiction show. Nominated the year before as well. That’s hard to do especially in 1977 She was also the first woman to front an hour long dramatic series. She and her manager Ron Samuels negotiated the sweetest deal at the time getting her 35k an episode and pretty much took the Universal Tower for all the money they could get. And the writers knew how to write for her, Doomday is Tomorrow and Deadly Ringer are 2 of the most well constructed examples of episodic television from that era. Lindsey is extremely likable in the role and brought depth and humanity to any otherwise wooden genre.
You are kind of splitting hairs (if not just incorrect) about her being the ‘first’ woman to front an hour long drama

Both Teresa Graves (Get Christy Love) and Angie Dickinson (Police Woman) preceded Lindsay by two years

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Ron just posted the cover art for this item in a previous post.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to note that one of the reunion films is being given a 2K scan. I was under the impression that all 3 reunion moves were shot on a odd late 80s videotape rather than film (like the 88-89 revival of Mission Impossible series). So could all 3 reunion movies be in HD, The German bluray set of $6m Man featured all 3 reunions in standard def.
Shot on tape? Nope, no way, not an American drama on a major network. Now, post-produced (edited/assembled) on tape? Most likely, as that's how many US shows were being done by the late '80s.

Perhaps that last reunion film was edited on 35mm (rather than tape), or prints were struck so it could be exhibited theatrically in foreign markets? I certainly see no reason why anyone would've paid the big bucks to have only the last one re-assembled if all of them were edited on tape (as with Star Trek: The Next Generation), so my guess is that this single film must've been edited (assembled) on 35mm for whatever reason. Did Glen Larson produce it? I recall someone saying he was one of the only production companies that still cut its shows on 35mm when everyone else had gone to tape.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There was a TV GUIDE article at the time about co-star Richard Anderson with a double picture (one wearing a suit with Lee Majors and one with Lindsay Wagner with more casual attire) where he states more or less that on Six Million Dollar Man he had to be more serious and on Bionic Woman he could be a little more relaxed.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I've never heard that Mission: Impossible was taped only filmed then edited-on-tape.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Pretty sure that was the norm: filmed and then edited on tape. There are a lot of great shows that need to be rescanned because of this. A host of shows look like ass. I hated that change and some shows, like Walker Texas Ranger are unwatchable as is.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Pretty sure that was the norm: filmed and then edited on tape. There are a lot of great shows that need to be rescanned because of this. A host of shows look like ass. I hated that change and some shows, like Walker Texas Ranger are unwatchable as is.
That was standard practice from about the mid-80s to the late 90s, when everything went HD.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, since the crossover episodes from Six Million Dollar Man are also include the episode count is over 60.

At four episodes a disc, that could be 16 discs just for episodes. As a 70's era show, the episodes would usually be over 50 minutes. Then you have 3 reunion movies and bonus features. Eighteen discs isn't inconceivable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks