1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Feb 27, 2019.

1. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    That's quite the feat, as Law & Order episodes can be found on just about any station associated with Universal/Comcast.

2. Message #142 of 176 Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If Cheers gets an upgrade, then it should be a Blu-ray one. They've had network-length HD masters in 4x3 for years.

Laverne & Shirley also has network-length HD 4x3 masters they could use as the basis of a Blu-ray set, and also to fix all the things wrong with the DVDs, mainly cut music (some of the cuts were pretty bad from what I recall) and replaced logos.

Those should both be complete series one-offs. Doing Lucy and Andy season-by-season was a mistake.

RocketRobz and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    In a perfect world scenario:

State's side Complete Series Blu-rays of Dynasty, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty II: The Colbys, Cheers, The Golden Girls, Frasier, Laverne and Shirley, Happy Days, Law and Order, Murder She Wrote, Mary Tyler Moore, St. Elsewhere, Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, Magnum P.I., Columbo, The Incredible Hulk, I Love Lucy, Hardcastle & McCormick, Crazy Like A Fox, Law & Order (original franchise), T.J. Hooker, Blossom, The Muppet Show, Empty Nest, Amen, The Waltons, MacGyver.

France has already done Murder She Wrote, The Incredible Hulk, Magnum P.I. Japan has a complete Columbo. And, as already pointed out, a good many of the aforementioned titles already have HD transfers, suitable for a Blu-ray release. Can we just start getting some of these state's side? Mill Creek...are you listening?

MatthewA, RocketRobz and bmasters9 like this.
  4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    No one even tried Amen on DVD. Universal syndicates it but do they own the home video rights? Johnny Carson's company produced it, so they must still have some say over it. They produced a couple of other prime-time scripted shows, too, but none ran more than a season.

Blossom was another case where the music rights were the cause of it stalling. There's also the factor of whether the studios end up charging more money for subsequent seasons even if the sales go down. It's like a vicious cycle. It's not always a reflection of interest, just the tactics of the owners.

5. Kirben

Kirben Agent

Travis
    The later seasons of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess, which have not been released in widescreen on DVD so far.

Anyone have any idea of why Universal never releases the widescreen of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess? there have been so many DVD re-releases worldwide, and the later seasons are always cropped to 4:3.

An interview with Michael Hurst mentions they actually made use of the extra widescreen framing:

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And Riptide!

7. dstrong

dstrong Auditioning

Damon
    "The Sixth Sense" (1972). Released in Europe, but never in North America.

"Land of the Giants" (1968-70). Released in an expensive and bulky boxed set, but could easily be released in a less expensive and compact set.

Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    So could It Takes A Thief w/Robert Wagner, from the same timeframe.

9. Message #149 of 176 Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Others I'd like to see be re-released for...
    Star Trek (The Original Series) (1966-1969) - restore original electric violin version of theme tune on five or six season 1 episodes, including:
    * The Man Trap
    * Charlie X
    (above two episodes also had a speedier rendition of William Shatner's narrative prologue)
    * The Naked Time
    * Mudd's Women
    * Dagger of the Mind
    Also fix assorted season 2 episodes: six had the Desilu logo less copyright notice (episodes 1-3, 7, 9 and 11); last eight had the Paramount Television "Rising Circle" logo (episodes 17, 18, 20-24 and 26)
    Mission: Impossible (1966 TV series) - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes in seasons 3-7; fix incorrect audio on Desilu and Paramount logos on all season 2 episodes
    Mannix - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes from "Deadfall (Part 1)" onward
    The Immortal (1970-1971) - fix audio on all episodes, including the TV movie pilot; use four discs instead of three
    The Young Lawyers (1970-1971) - fix sped-up audio and restore original Paramount logos on TV movie pilot; fix distribution of last nine episodes to use three discs instead of two (seven discs total)
    Longstreet (1971-1972) - fix sped-up audio on TV movie pilot; use six discs instead of five
    The Magician (1973-1974) - restore opening teasers; use six discs instead of five
    Petrocelli (1974-1976) - restore original opening title on Night Games TV movie pilot; use six discs instead of five for both seasons (12 discs total)
    Angie (1979-1980) - restore missing tag scenes to 29 episodes across both seasons; use at least five discs instead of two (season 1 on first two discs; season 2 on the next three)
    The Bad News Bears (1979-1980) - use four discs instead of two (season 1 on first two discs; season 2 on next two)
    Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983) - restore original Paramount logos on all 17 episodes
    The Powers of Matthew Star (1982-1983) - restore opening teasers on all 22 episodes; use six discs instead of four
    Friday the 13th: The Series - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes in all three seasons
    War of the Worlds (TV series) - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes in both seasons (CGI Mountain w/Gulf+Western byline for season 1; CGI Mountain w/Paramount Communications byline for season 2)
    Mission: Impossible (1988 TV series) - restore original Paramount logos on all episodes in both seasons

~Ben

RocketRobz, Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  10. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    The Time-Life "Mayberry Collection" has restored this episode to it's full length.
    Hi-RES-Cover-Vol-1.

timk1041 and MatthewA like this.
  11. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I'm fine with Mannix the way it is but I agree that the Night Games pilot of Petrocelli should have it's original opening titles restored.

I'll add that Barnaby Jones needs released again, and this time with all uncut episodes.

ChrisALM, Ron1973, RocketRobz and 2 others like this.
  12. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I agree that It Takes A Thief could be issued again using different packaging, but I don't know how much a chance it has of happening. I'm currently doing fine with the DVD set issued by EOne in 2011.

ChrisALM and bmasters9 like this.
  13. Message #153 of 176 Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I would like to see the 80's BBC series 'Allo 'Allo!' get a re-release set. The first time it was released was back in 2002 which was the same year that many other Britcoms were being released as well. Since then though only the fan favorites that are Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, and As Time Goes By are the only ones with re-releases.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    On the subject of It Takes A Thief, the now out of print DVD set does have unusual packaging, starting with the bulky size box, and the DVD's being housed in those cardboard fold outs. I think a reason for the coaster set being included is because Robert Wagner is occasionally seen in some episodes drinking cocktails with the various ladies.

Sad to report that Glen Larson passed away in 2014, there's an interview with him on the DVD set. I'm not sure when the interview was recorded, I'm thinking maybe sometime in 2010 or early 2011. When watching the interview, Larson appears to be in good health but a few years later he would pass away :(. Robert Wagner is getting up in years too as he's nearing age 90.

Ron1973 and bmasters9 like this.
  15. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Real head-scratcher why Columbo isn't out on Blu-ray in full yet, except in Japan. I'd also like to see The Texan restored and/or at least its brightness timed better, it was all over the place on the Timeless DVD release, a pipe dream probably but seems like it's easily doable to correct (in theory as in practice).

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Throw in Knots Landing and you're on.

mrz7 likes this.
  17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Tales From The Darkside to restore the original stock music cues Paramount removed (hd is likely impossible on this one so just getting the show restored to its original state is good enough).

darkrock17 likes this.
  18. Message #158 of 176 Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I'd love to see the episode "I'll Give You A Million" as it has some of the music from the original Night of the Living Dead included in it. This piece in particular, it's heard when a ghoul's hand grabs at Ben in the kitchen and Tom fights it off with a knife before Ben then shoots it, killing it dead for good.

19. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    That's likely the problem with any show, whether taped or filmed, if the post-production process was done on videotape. I've read many shows in which the post-production process is done on videotape do not really lend themselves well to Blu-Ray... correct me if I am wrong.

Examples of shows that were initially filmed, but edited on videotape:
    Cheers (seasons 5-11)
    MacGyver (1985-1992)
    Duet (1987-1989)/Open House (1989-1990)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)
    Mission: Impossible (1988 TV series)

~Ben

20. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    What do those shows have to do with music replacement?