What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bud Abbott and Lou Costello return in The Abbott and Costello Show Season 2 to the small screen for the final season of their classic television series, The Abbott and Costello Show, revitalized with new 4K-sourced restorations courtesy of The 3-D Film Archive.

The Abbott and Costello Show (1952–1957)

Released: 14 Sep 1957
Rated: TV-G
Runtime: 25 min

Director: N/A
Genre: Comedy, Family, Mystery

Cast: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Sid Fields
Writer(s): N/A

Plot: Bud and Lou are unemployed actors living in Mr. Fields' boarding house. Lou's girlfriend Hillary lives across the hall. Any premise would lead to slapstick, puns, lots of gimmicks from their movies.

IMDB rating: 8.2
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Great set . Any fan of A &C , or classic comedy should own this set, and season one as well .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Getting "The Abbott and Costello Show Season 2" Blu-ray set as a 60th Birthday present! I'm greatly looking forward to finally having all the episodes of this iconic TV series (Derived mostly from the original 35mm camera negatives, and the audio from the original audio stems, at least from Season 1!) on Blu-ray! Huge thanks to Bob Furmanek and the 3D Film Archive team for your amazing and exceptional efforts! Also, thank you Josh for your well written review!

Now, what to do with my "The Abbott and Costello Show: The Complete Series" 2010 E1 DVD set that includes a Bonus DVD with 3 hours worth of extras, and that gorgeous 44 page Commemorative booklet that includes the synopsis of every episode, not to mention the 4 Collectible postcards? Those will be tough to part with, but I do need to pare down! CHEERS! :)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Getting "The Abbott and Costello Show Season 2" Blu-ray set as a 60th Birthday present! I'm greatly looking forward to finally having all the episodes of this iconic TV series (Derived mostly from the original 35mm camera negatives, and the audio from the original audio stems, at least from Season 1!) on Blu-ray! Huge thanks to Bob Furmanek and the 3D Film Archive team for your amazing and exceptional efforts! Also, thank you Josh for your well written review!

Now, what to do with my "The Abbott and Costello Show: The Complete Series" 2010 E1 DVD set that includes a Bonus DVD with 3 hours worth of extras, and that gorgeous 44 page Commemorative booklet that includes the synopsis of every episode, not to mention the 4 Collectible postcards? Those will be tough to part with, but I do need to pare down! CHEERS! :)
Abso-toot-ly awesome! I'm keeping my old dvd set for the doofy, extra laugh track added on to the episodes. Bit of nostalgia in those now-severely-inferior transfers!

Plus, I want to track down that one extended, repeated laugh that sounds like The Joker's laugh box: "HA-hahaha-ha-ha-ha-ha! HA-hahaha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" and make a ring-tone out of it. Jus' ba-cuz I can!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Abso-toot-ly awesome! I'm keeping my old dvd set for the doofy, extra laugh track added on to the episodes. Bit of nostalgia in those now-severely-inferior transfers!

Plus, I want to track down that one extended, repeated laugh that sounds like The Joker's laugh box: "HA-hahaha-ha-ha-ha-ha! HA-hahaha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" and make a ring-tone out of it. Jus' ba-cuz I can!
I forgot all about that extra laugh track! Along with the Bonus DVD that includes the Milton Berle narrated 1978 "Hey! Abbott!" documentary and the Lou Costello Home Movies, this might be a good excuse to hang onto the 2010 E1 set! I also wonder if the website with the A&C ringtones is still accessible?

The Abbott & Costello Show - Over 3 Hours Of Extensive Bonus Features!.jpg

The Abbott & Costello Show Ringtones.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I forgot all about that extra laugh track! Along with the Bonus DVD that includes the Milton Berle narrated 1978 "Hey! Abbott!" documentary and the Lou Costello Home Movies, this might be a good excuse to hang onto the 2010 E1 set! I also wonder if the website with the A&C ringtones is still accessible?

View attachment 217506

View attachment 217508

Mine landed very nicely right into the dumpster soon after I pulled the booklet and ripped that stuff.
icon_e_partydrop.gif

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The website is still there with lots of public domain-type knick-knacks, but no ringtones. Looks like more Stooges stuff than A&C?
Yeah, I see a lot of Three Stooges stuff, especially on the Abbott and Costello collectibles homepage. Weird! 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, back to The Abbott and Costello Show Season 2 Blu-ray set!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

View attachment 217506

View attachment 217508

Mine landed very nicely right into the dumpster soon after I pulled the booklet and ripped that stuff. View attachment 217541
I really hate throwing things out, and I just recently discovered a very long time established used book shop that is actually willing to accept old TV series DVD sets and does at least pay something more than 25 cents a disc! At some pawn shops, you can't even give away DVDs these days! :(

Perhaps I'll compromise and pawn off the A&C Season 1 and 2 Episodes (I'm thinking I can live without the extra added laugh tracks!) in their separate cases and keep the Bonus DVD and all of the other extras! Maybe The Abbott and Costello Show Season 1 & 2 Blu-ray sets by ClassicFlix will fit nicely within the extra space? 🤷‍♂️
The Abbott & Costello Show - S1 & S2 + Bonus Features DVD!.png

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I really hate throwing things out, and I just recently discovered a very long time established used book shop that is actually willing to accept old TV series DVD sets and does at least pay something more than 25 cents a disc! At some pawn shops, you can't even give away DVDs these days! :(

Perhaps I'll compromise and pawn off the A&C Season 1 and 2 Episodes (I'm thinking I can live without the extra added laugh tracks!) in their separate cases and keep the Bonus DVD and all of the other extras! Maybe The Abbott and Costello Show Season 1 & 2 Blu-ray sets by ClassicFlix will fit nicely within the extra space? 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 217544

That is what I am doing. Keeping the bonus disc and extras from the old set and just trying to sell the rest.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I really hate throwing things out, and I just recently discovered a very long time established used book shop that is actually willing to accept old TV series DVD sets and at does at least pay something more than 25 cents a disc! At some pawn shops, you can't even give away DVDs these days! :(

View attachment 217544

As a longtime collector of most anything except used toilet paper, I too find it difficult to throw anything away. I actually gave it away to my pets. :rolleyes: But seriously I've completely run out of space and have gone mostly digital.

icon_e_cheers.gif

That is what I am doing. Keeping the bonus disc and extras from the old set and just trying to sell the rest.
I have a bridge for sale too Tim.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

View attachment 217544

The only thing that complicates it a bit are the bonus features included on the last disc of each season. I might just rip Lou's Home Movies from the last Season 2 DVD and skip the Season 1 Bonus Classic Routine Reel, as they're already included within the episodes, anyway!

432700603_934132498195769_7277048784228462930_n.jpg

432685909_375073132162850_118057774551059208_n.jpg

The Abbott and Costello Show set replacement has already begun! I'm just waiting for the Season 2 Blu-ray set, now!! :)
432706596_327667219890764_8967632942181689527_n.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did!

I had seen a lot of episodes from both seasons before, mostly out of order and in the background as a kid, so it’s more of a fuzzy fondness I had than a sharp memory, and revisiting both seasons as an adult definitely had me enjoying this latter release even more than the first season’s.

I think the adjustment to the format helped, launching right into the action rather than having Bud and Lou monologue onstage and/or explain what was about to happen in the next scene. For me it worked better just getting right into things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks