What's new

The Sound of Music on 4K Disc? (2 Viewers)

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Hopefully the classic musicals being released on 4k (My Fair Lady, Oliver!, and Willy Wonka) Will sell well and disney will finally wake up and jump on board. Would love to see Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomstick, Hello, Dolly, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and, all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films on 4k disc, maybe a 4k boxset for them. I know it's probably just wishful thinking but who knows.

Mary Poppins could look stunning on 4k. The Blu-Ray is spectacular and one of my favorite discs. But I’m terrified if Disney does get around to it, they’ll butcher it with DNR and other processing out of fear that 4K resolution will lift the curtain too far on the effects.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why are we still giving space and air-time to a dead critic who hated the very movie that we’re trying to promote?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Disney,

Please release “The Sound of Music” on 4K/UHD.

Sincerely,
PMF

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well she was the last film critic of any major influence. We won't see her like again. And The Sound of Music nefariously got her fired. A movie never did it to a critic before and hasn't since. Pretty sneaky.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never would have heard of Pauline kael if not for this topic.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I never would have heard of Pauline kael if not for this topic.

Guess you probably didn't follow Roger Ebert much (and maybe some others)... I was not exactly an avid follower of Ebert (though I certainly gave his reviews the most weight of all critics/reviewers), but his occasional admiring mentions of Kael were how I originally heard of her IIRC (probably back in the late-90's or maybe early 2000's)...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched every episode of all his review shows, every incarnation.
Followed him on Twitter.
Never read his books though.
Huge fan of Siskel and Ebert but if I ever heard him tAlk about her I don’t remember it.

I just listened to an 8 part podcast about both Gene and Roger and a handful of reviewers were brought up and interviewed and Kael wasn’t one of them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I watched every episode of all his review shows, every incarnation.
Followed him on Twitter.
Never read his books though.
Huge fan of Siskel and Ebert but if I ever heard him tAlk about her I don’t remember it.

I just listened to an 8 part podcast about both Gene and Roger and a handful of reviewers were brought up and interviewed and Kael wasn’t one of them.

Ebert mentioned her (and her writing, etc) in his written reviews and articles. Given how that generally goes, probably doesn't work nearly as well to mention her (in passing) on his movie review show (whether w/ Siskel or others later)...

Here are a few quick hits from a basic google...

And near the very top of Kael's Wikipedia entry:

One of the most influential American film critics of her era,[2] she left a lasting impression on the art form. Roger Ebert argued in an obituary that Kael "had a more positive influence on the climate for film in America than any other single person over the last three decades." Kael, he said, "had no theory, no rules, no guidelines, no objective standards. You couldn't apply her 'approach' to a film. With her it was all personal."[3]

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks