What's new

The Sound of Music on 4K Disc? (2 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s great. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Never heard of her.
This topic made me aware of her.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Saw this on YouTube yesterday:

Ms Andrews is receiving the AFI Lifetime Acheivment Award 6/9/2022! Let me tell you she is a true Legend and one of the nicest people to meet! Her rep/agent is great and his staff tops -- one special lady helped me get this when they heard how ill I am. I actually cried when I opened the package (effects of 5 surgeries on my face up to this point helped that a bit I guess). Mary Poppins was the first film I saw at 3yrs old in 1964. After the film our parents took us to buy the album. Should have brought it with me when I met her years back. never saw TSOM in the theater - second fil we saw was Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Attachments

• julie andrews 2.jpeg
    julie andrews 2.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 35

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Ms Andrews is receiving the AFI Lifetime Acheivment Award 6/9/2022! Let me tell you she is a true Legend and one of the nicest people to meet! Her rep/agent is great and his staff tops -- one special lady helped me get this when they heard how ill I am. I actually cried when I opened the package (effects of 5 surgeries on my face up to this point helped that a bit I guess). Mary Poppins was the first film I saw at 3yrs old in 1964. After the film our parents took us to buy the album. Should have brought it with me when I met her years back. never saw TSOM in the theater - second fil we saw was Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
The film got a 4K restoration in 2015 I am not really a techie -- does this mean it would be easy to do a 4K release? https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/news/sound-music-story-behind-4k-restoration-040001887.html

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I know there will be people whose bubble be burst but Andrews once said I'm glad Mary Poppins and Sound of Music brought joy to so many people but they were just jobs.
And I heard Wise speaking before a showing of Music in NY(Portia Nelson was with him) and he said he liked the filmmaking of West Side Story but he liked the money from Sound of Music.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The film got a 4K restoration in 2015 I am not really a techie -- does this mean it would be easy to do a 4K release? https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/news/sound-music-story-behind-4k-restoration-040001887.html

That was very likely the digital restoration actually done 5 years earlier (circa 2010) w/ that transfer released on the first BD (and then again later in 2015 w/ additional extras)...

Unclear how well that old 4K master would hold up for a 4K disc release now... but at least some of us feel they should go back and fix some issues (like the color grading, the audio being a bit lacking on the top end, etc)... NVM whether it would actually hold up for HDR (re)grading nowadays... Without at least some of those issues addressed (and I'm guessing Disney might very well not bother), not too sure I'd actually wanna "upgrade" again...

_Man_

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
We saw her narrate "Peter and the Wolf" at City of Hope in Duarte, California. Beautiful, outstanding, charming, a wonderful evening with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Many, MANY years before that she performed her one woman show at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It was also unforgettable. Would love a 4k disc of SOM.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That was very likely the digital restoration actually done 5 years earlier (circa 2010) w/ that transfer released on the first BD (and then again later in 2015 w/ additional extras)...

Unclear how well that old 4K master would hold up for a 4K disc release now... but at least some of us feel they should go back and fix some issues (like the color grading, the audio being a bit lacking on the top end, etc)... NVM whether it would actually hold up for HDR (re)grading nowadays...

_Man_
I gotten the 50th dvd as a gift was that the one that they say the color was off? I did get the Blu Ray/dvd combo from the Disney Movie Club last year but have not watced it yet.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I know there will be people whose bubble be burst but Andrews once said I'm glad Mary Poppins and Sound of Music brought joy to so many people but they were just jobs.
And I heard Wise speaking before a showing of Music in NY(Portia Nelson was with him) and he said he liked the filmmaking of West Side Story but he liked the money from Sound of Music.
I think it was a time when she was trying to get away from the image that she felt limited her career, when I met her she was very proud of the the film and her book really discusses the film. Even Christopher Plummer who was famous for calling TSOM The Sound of Mucus came around in later years doing cast reunions and praising the film.

Reactions: PMF

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

It’s not exactLy breaking news to hear that an actor was just doing a job.
Michael Caine is notorious for saying a check he got for acting bought him a new beautiful home.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I gotten the 50th dvd as a gift was that the one that they say the color was off? I did get the Blu Ray/dvd combo from the Disney Movie Club last year but have not watced it yet.

50th DVD?

The 1st BD (and that digital restoration) was for 45th anniversary. 2015 was the 50th anniversary. Since they're all supposed to be the same transfer, they should all have the same color grading issue... but it's possible the corresponding DVD looks a bit different color-wise just because DVD is more limited in color-space, not just resolution, assuming that DVD actually used the same transfer (but reencoded for DVD) that is...

_Man_

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
We saw her narrate "Peter and the Wolf" at City of Hope in Duarte, California. Beautiful, outstanding, charming, a wonderful evening with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Many, MANY years before that she performed her one woman show at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It was also unforgettable. Would love a 4k disc of SOM.
She is being given the AFI at the Dolby Theater. I love the backstory of her being turned down for My Fair Lady then getting Poppins all because J L Warner was not sure she would be star power and she went on to win The Oscar for Poppins, love the speech where she thanks J L Warner and him having a great sense of humor and heartily laughing too!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
50th DVD?

The 1st BD (and that digital restoration) was for 45th anniversary. 2015 was the 50th anniversary. Since they're all supposed to be the same transfer, they should all have the same color grading issue... but it's possible the corresponding DVD looks a bit different color-wise just because DVD is more limited in color-space, not just resolution.

_Man_
oooops just checked I got the 40th dvd I know that one was trashed as being off on color, then I got the Blu Ray/DVD last year.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
oooops just checked I got the 40th dvd I know that one was trashed as being off on color, then I got the Blu Ray/DVD last year.

Not aware of that for the 40th anniv DVD, but I've never owned that (nor really paid attention to its release nor seen more than just a few screencaps) -- I had the prior 5-star collection DVD before giving it away when upgrading to the 45th anniv BD.

I just took a quick look over on the DVD Beaver, and the screencaps they have don't show that much color diff between the older 5-star DVD and your 40th anniv DVD. The BD(s) are quite a bit different color-wise w/ a much more contrasty golden (almost burnt) grading, pushing and/or tinting in the primaries, particularly toward reds and greens, and away from the more pastel/pastoral, softer color look of the old... Often made Julie Andrews look very much (contrasty) strawberry blonde and at times even virtually redheaded for instance...

You should really finally give your BD a look to see for yourself me thinks...

_Man_

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not aware of that for the 40th anniv DVD, but I've never owned that (nor really paid attention to its release nor seen more than just a few screencaps) -- I had the prior 5-star collection DVD before giving it away when upgrading to the 45th anniv BD.

I just took a quick look over on the DVD Beaver, and the screencaps they have don't show that much color diff between the older 5-star DVD and your 40th anniv DVD. The BD(s) are quite a bit different color-wise w/ a much more contrasty golden (almost burnt) grading, pushing and/or tinting in the primaries, particularly toward reds and greens, and away from the more pastel/pastoral, softer color look of the old... Often made Julie Andrews look very much (contrasty) strawberry blonde and at times even virtually redheaded for instance...

You should really finally give your BD a look to see for yourself me thinks...

_Man_
Thank you! Will check the BD tomorrow --- I had the 5 Star Laserdisc still do. Should have grabbed the Super 8 Sound full length when I had the chance.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It’s not exactLy breaking news to hear that an actor was just doing a job.
Michael Caine is notorious for saying a check he got for acting bought him a new beautiful home.

That's his famous quote about Jaws: The Revenge.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thank you! Will check the BD tomorrow --- I had the 5 Star Laserdisc still do. Should have grabbed the Super 8 Sound full length when I had the chance.
BD looks great still do not know what the correct color is on the film? By the way great picture 2001 Julie Andrews being honored on the Disney Lot with Sound Stage 2 where Mary Poppins was filmed being re-dedicted The Julie Andrews Stage
1646584419138.png

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
She is being given the AFI at the Dolby Theater. I love the backstory of her being turned down for My Fair Lady then getting Poppins all because J L Warner was not sure she would be star power and she went on to win The Oscar for Poppins, love the speech where she thanks J L Warner and him having a great sense of humor and heartily laughing too!
I'm not positive, but I think the speech where she thanked Warner was when she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress. Not sure though. I thought it was pretty funny at the time --- and unexpected.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm not positive, but I think the speech where she thanked Warner was when she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress. Not sure though. I thought it was pretty funny at the time --- and unexpected.
Yes you are right!

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks