What's new

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Wasn't there a plan to remake a theatrical film of My Fair Lady?

There were talks around 10 years ago. Emma Thompson was attached to write the screenplay and Carey Mulligan was going to play Eliza, but it went nowhere.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the blu ray - everyones hair looks red.
sound - nowhere near as good as the orignal in theaters.
When Julie sings SOM, a sound effect is missing hwne julie drops her arm to her apron - originally sounds like a karate chop. its on the languages tracks but NOT the english track.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Its nice to finally see SOM in its original aspect ratio on tv. Too bad some of the great editing is ruined by commercials. In particular the cut from inside the bedroom to the children' outside wearing clothes made of curtains. The other one Gretel says ' going to be my favorite party father"then cut to the ball.

Last edited:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have a sister that works for Paramount Home Entertainment and her favorite movie is The Sound of Music (we share the same favorite movie). I will share with you here what she told me, though I have not posted this anywhere else, and she is known (at least to me) for finding out information when it comes to her favorite films through the internal "grapevines.". It seems indeed Fox has revitalized this film every 5 years for many years since the VHS format, not missing a single 5 year new release. There were several VHS versions, then it hit laserdisc with a pan and scan version (with 2 releases just a different cover), following by a "special widescreen edition" which looked quite red and pink overall. The next laserdisc edition was the box set, a wonderful set that included the gold CD taken from the original music stems. The picture transfer was approved by Robert Wise, and if you have ever seen (or own) this laserdisc box set you know it looks nothing like the earth-tone brownish movie that became the blu-ray release. In fact, no other version out of all of them ever looked like the blu-ray does. The blue tones were highly minimized, as were the pinks. I think Fox's blu-ray, as far as clarity, is stunning, the detail in the picture is incredible, and they are owed alot of credit for that sharpness and detail, they are just way off on the color scheme. Just look at the hair colors on Julie Andrews on the blu-ray, I count at least 6 different colors of her hair. Now look at the laserdisc box set or even the 40th anniversary DVD, her hair is blond, except in My Favorite Things in which it is indeed a redder tone due to make-up/hairstyling having a big issue with her hair coloring at the very start, but that was the first scene filmed.

My other complaint is the fact that they cut off the high end of the soundtrack, obviously to "please" the younger viewers who are used to digital with no noise and don't realize that soundtracks from the 1960's actually had tape hiss, due to there not being any process like Dolby noise reduction. If you switch over to the French track on the blu-ray you can hear the upper register of the sound that is absent from the DTS MA English track (and you can hear it in every previous version, including the 40th anniversary DVD, which to me has the color scheme closest to the one Robert Wise approved for the laserdisc box set.) I have talked to many projectionists and die-hard fans who have seen the film on the screen many times and they all say that The Sound of Music never looked like the blu-ray version.

This year was the film's 55th anniversary and from what I was told, indeed a 4k UHD blu-ray version was at some stage of production. The month of March is the actual anniversary of the film. It was during the transition of Fox's library to Disney that apparently the plans were scrapped, even though from what I was told physical and computer work had already begun. It appears what Disney did was scrap the physical release, and premiered The Sound of Music on Disney Plus the day their new streaming service started, in fact it was the first Fox film to hit Disney Plus. You'll notice it is not available on any other streaming service, except to purchase, the only other route Disney allowed was on their own ABC TV last week, showing the blu-ray transfer. For those of you who had seen or taped previous ABC TV showings (prior to last year when the blu-ray version premiered on ABC), then you know it was shown in the 1:85:1 ratio, but the good thing about it was it was the only high definition version of the correct color scheme and I believe it was a high def version of the 40th anniversary DVD transfer. I taped it every year on my DVR and oh how the colors are so correct and beautiful it makes me sick to think that color scheme was not what we got on the blu-ray disc. Plus on those ABC showings, you will hear the apron slap and other sound effects that are now missing. Perhaps Fox being able to use the 6 track master for the first time (on the blu-ray) has something to do with the sound effect issue, but it is clear that those ABC TV showings before they showed the blu-ray transfer the last 2 years, still has the tape hiss and the high end is still there, as are the blues and pink tones. To me the opening scene looks kind of dead now, it is so toned down.

This is also my all time favorite film in addition to my sister's, and as far as we have come in beautiful video transfers of films, there has still never been a satisfactory home video version of The Sound of Music. Whoever chose to tinker with the colors for the blu-ray made a horrible mistake turning everything into earth-tones presenting the film in a way it has never looked before. But if you think about it, no one is alive who really knows the colors that should encompass this film (director of photography, ect). And in the extra on the blu-ray about restoring the picture" you can hear them say that they had to decide "how green to make the grass." Seems to me that is just admitting a lot of guessing was done. They also say they had a 70mm print that Robert Wise approved. I don't know how accurate that is, because he approved the laserdisc box set which had so much more color, not technicolor deep color mind you, but more lively color than the blu-ray. And on the blu-ray extra about restoring the sound, watch what the technician does on the computer screen. He takes the entire upper area sound signals, deletes them and says this is how we get rid of the noise. But you will notice part of what he is erasing is actual high end signal (the colored bars), it's there, just watch it. I don't say these people didn't know what they were doing, they are professionals, but I think they compromised to get less tape hiss.

And now that Disney has control of my favorite movie, I fear the worst in all respects. It wouldn't have been that difficult to do a little work and release a 4k version on physical disc this year, the film's 55th anniversary. But even the Disney plus version remains at 1080p. And with Hocus Pocus and Home Alone being the last 4k blu-rays from Disney and not a single classic announced since from either the Fox or Disney library, the future looks sadly bleak for many us as far as Disney and Fox UHD physical media. By the way, Fox had been talking some great 4k UHD releases for 2021. From Patton to Planet of the Apes (1968) to M*A*S*H*, Butch Cassidy, Cleopatra, Young Frankenstein, Oklahoma!, Night at the Museum, How Green was my Valley and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I have a feeling we aren't going to see them (keep in mind according to my sister these were tentative talks that she learned about which cannot be verified).

I have the highest respect for Shawn B. at Fox. They have put out some of the greatest transfers, look at how great Oklahoma (Todd-AO) and South Pacific fared. But there are a few other movies with issues, like the plastic/waxy look of The Longest Day, the blue-flooded The King and I blu-ray. Yet I have hope and am keeping my fingers crossed that Disney perhaps hires someone to run their physical media department that realizes the value and market that physical media still has.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Its nice to finally see SOM in its original aspect ratio on tv. Too bad some of the great editing is ruined by commercials. In particular the cut from inside the bedroom to the children' outside wearing clothes made of curtains. The other one Gretel says ' going to be my favorite party father"then cut to the ball.

I watched some of it and I am pretty sure they time compressed it slightly. Everything seemed to move just a bit too fast. And the sound had a hollowness to it that I suspect was the digital pitch compensation for speeding it up. I also think they applied "soap opera smooth" processing to it.

I agree about the breaks; and I laughed because the one true break in the film, when Maria goes back to the abbey (the roadshow intermission) did NOT break for a commercial.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, really wish/hope Disney would release a good 4K disc of SoM and at least some of the others even though I'm certainly not opposed to only owning 4K digital copies in some cases.

For something like SoM w/ plenty of well-known, beloved music, I would think a well (re)mastered, lossless soundtrack would make a substantial diff over the typically low bitrate, lossy audio of streaming versions (and there won't be much, if any, Atmos to obscure the diff in audio fidelity) even if the (audio) source and master aren't in pristine condition...

And agreed that the previous Fox remaster for the BD just seems overcooked/burnt...

_Man_

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Wasn't there a plan to remake a theatrical film of My Fair Lady?
Yes with Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth in the leads and Julie Andrews as Higgins’ mother. <g>

Hopefully they have recorded or will the recent Lincoln Center production but with Laura Benanti’s sublime Eliza and the Bartlett Sher production and Harry Hadden-Paton as Higgins. Thankfully I saw it and will never forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarrySonyMHC