What's new

The Sound of Music on 4K Disc? (1 Viewer)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I was holding off on upgrading my DVD anticipating a 4K disc... but when Fox sold out to the Mouse, I gave up and bought the Blu-Ray. It is a great disc, especially for its vintage, but it could be a lot more.

Any 70mm film would gain in UHD/4K. And hopefully without any HDR added to pump up the colors like used in these Disney/Pixar cartoons.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd definitely buy a properly done SoM 4K disc release, especially if they tone down the seemingly overly "burnished" look (and possibly slight green bias) some bit.

It's even one of the very few titles that Disney might be able to get me to swing for a super-deluxe, ultimate ed boxset o' junk, haha. I didn't get into LDs (on limited basis) until after the DVD era began, but the last(?) SoM LD boxset w/ gold CD of the restored soundtrack was one such I splurged a little on off the 2ndary market even as the dotcom boom was under way training us to expect super-cheap deals for DVDs -- pretty sure I still have it lying around in storage waiting to be used for decoration in my soon-ish upcoming dedicated HT room... :cool:

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A terrible fear has just washed over my cabin-fever senses. What if Disney makes a mistake? What if Disney inadvertently distributed a 4K/UHD of “The Sound of Music Live”? And even worse, what if it came with a Carrie Underwood commentary track? OMG, such a release would surely jeopardize the future of all physical media. :D

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A few of the Disney bluray titles I got on ebay say made in Mexico on the outside of the plastic wrap. I point this out only because it seems unusual. Anybody know if it is simply a case of outsourcing and the quality is exactly the same as those which don't have this on the back?

No reason to be concerned. Physical media sales have declined tremendously in the last decade and virtually all replication plants for discs in the U.S. have shut down due to lack of demand. The Technicolor plant in Mexico is pretty much the only place left making discs for the entire North American market. With the exception of some small print runs from boutique labels, all discs are being made in Mexico these days and have been for several years.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
A terrible fear has just washed over my cabin-fever senses. What if Disney makes a mistake? What if Disney inadvertently distributed a 4K/UHD of “The Sound of Music Live”? And even worse, what if it came with a Carrie Underwood commentary track? OMG, such a release would surely jeopardize the future of all physical media. :D

Totally forgot about that one. Can definitely imagine Disney throwing that and whatever other kitchen sink into the super-deluxe, ultimate ed, boxset o' junk just to inflate the price for me (and all other fans) and line their pockets some more, LOL. They wouldn't do it also to spite my "slightly" OCD collecting habit knowing I would rather forget that production ever happened, right? :P :laugh:

Would be nice though if they included the 50th anniversary reunion TV special that broadcasted alongside(?) that forgettable TV musical production... I missed the actual, original broadcast of the reunion, but still have a DVD-R copy of it thanks to @Mike Frezon. :thumbsup: :cool:

But knowing Disney, they're probably gonna wait for a hit remake before doing such a release. Hopefully, Amy Adams, Mr. Frezon's top choice, will still be upto the task by then...

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...{But knowing Disney, they're probably gonna wait for a hit remake before doing such a release. Hopefully, Amy Adams, Mr. Frezon's top choice, will still be upto the task by then...

_Man_
Amy Adams?
THE Amy Adams of celebrity endorsement ads?

IMHO, there are no benefits that could be elicited from a remake of “The Sound of Music”. Beneficial would be if such earmarked monies were to be channeled into a slam-dunk restoration and then call it a day.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Amy Adams?
THE Amy Adams of celebrity endorsement ads?

IMHO, there are no benefits that could be elicited from a remake of “The Sound of Music”. Beneficial would be if such earmarked monies were to be channeled into a slam-dunk restoration and then call it a day.

It's not actually what I wanna see either, but this is Disney, so... we'll probably get some kinda remake (or gasp! prequel?, sequel? or spinoff?!? ala Mary Poppins) w/ lukewarm results and then (the original) SoM might still not get released on 4K disc, LOL... :rolleyes::P

_Man_

• Insightful

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I’m not suggesting you buy titles you don’t want. You seemed to suggest that you were wholesale boycotting Disney, even if they did release something you would want, until they totally reverse course on physical media ala Paramount.

I guess this was a bit of a misunderstanding. I would still buy catalog, with new titles I meant things like the Marvel movies. I would for example buy 20,000 Leagues under the Sea if it ever is allowed to break free from that silly Disney club. Or the Big Fisherman - oh well that was a ridiculous thing to say as Disney is quite happy with that one not being available on any home video format.

I also have a number of other beefs with Disney, not the least being that they do not release any Pixar movies on UHD in Europe as UHD apparently only is for other territories.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
That version was made by NBC, and as a result, was put on home video by Universal, so that is unlikely unless Disney also buys up Universal. Hey, then they could have TWO money-losing theme parks in Orlando!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Considering that genius Bob Iger blew 71 billion dollars on the Fox money pit Disney couldn't buy a ride on the subway.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Considering that genius Bob Iger blew 71 billion dollars on the Fox money pit Disney couldn't buy a ride on the subway.
Once Disney releases a 4K/UHD of “The Sound of Music”, their abilities to afford a subway ride becomes a snap.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Agreed.
But it's probably a dream with all the trouble Disney has gotten itself into. They were heading off a cliff even before Covid. At this point they need multi billion dollar generating IPs. And a lot of them with all the debt burying the conglomerate. How many ways till Sunday did they shoot themselves in the foot with Mulan?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Bottom Line(s):

Disney is aware of the film library they purchased through 20th Century-Fox; and, in one form or another, their investment will be utilized

Disney is absolutely aware of “The Sound of Music”.

Disney and every film studio; like any other business, cooperation or conglomerate; are all facing their specific set of circumstances during this pandemic. Expect further delays.

Even a 4K/UHD of “Mary Poppins” took forever; be it by design or not.

Everyone on this thread will be amongst the first of consumers to make purchase of a 4K/UHD of “The Sound of Music”, if only it were announced. May our voices be hopefully ever heard.

P.S. Amy Adams will one day win an Oscar;
and I, too, am also a fan.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
'Even a 4K/UHD of “Mary Poppins” took forever; be it by design or not.'

Is it in the pipeline? I haven't heard or read anything.
By the way I got a 4k player and I've got problems with the MFL soundtrack. It's got crackling throughout. It played fine on my old bluray player. All the other DVDs play fine with no problems. I bought a second copy of the film and it's got the same problem. It has to be the player. It figures it has to be this film it has a problem with.
I also got an 86" LG and the film is visually beyond stunning. Better than on my 65". It captures what I remember from the old Warner Cinerama.
What lousy luck.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My mistake. Thanks for the correction. It was the BD of “Mary Poppins” that took forever. And because it looks so damned good, I often forget. Still, the point remains intact. Look how long we’ve been waiting for a 4K/UHD of the perfect nanny and governess, for that matter.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Two Bobs' comedy team has so mismanaged Disney in the last few years while accruing for themselves major fortunes that the existence of a mouse, a duck and a dwarf means little to them.
They definitely are denying the existence of a fox, a bear and a rabbit ...
1602923132189.png

harync

Agent
Real Name
Harrison

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
TSOM first needs a remake a la Spielberg’s West Side Story. I just read this morning Little Shop Of Horrors musical is going to be remade w Scarlet Johanssen and Chris Evans with Billy Porter as the plant. Sorry Billy- you’re no Levi Stubbs. Dear god why??

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
TSOM first needs a remake a la Spielberg’s West Side Story. I just read this morning Little Shop Of Horrors musical is going to be remade w Scarlet Johanssen and Chris Evans with Billy Porter as the plant. Sorry Billy- you’re no Levi Stubbs. Dear god why??
...um no ... it been there, done that, bought the DVDs ...
1603316997742.png

1603317033560.png

• Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks