What's new

The Andy Griffith Show: Missing Scenes, Laugh Tracks, And Other Issues (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I did view the final season episodes, but life's distractions unfortunately took my focus away from posting about them. We've been through a lot of life changes this past year, and are still in the midst of adjusting. My posting about the final season of GOMER PYLE: USMC also wound up getting derailed, although I have also viewed these, and have the running times for each episode noted.

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the Don Knotts guest episodes! There are some other bright spots in the AGS color seasons, as well.

My plan was to follow my TAGS and Gomer viewings with RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986), which I do have on Blu-ray. Upon discovering the existence of the "Andy And Helen Get Married" MAYBERRY, RFD episode, I had hoped to eventually get the season one RFD set to view that one first. Unfortunately, by the time The Warner Archive reissued it earlier this year, I was no longer able to budget for it even at the lower price point, what with moving expenses, and our now much lower month to month available finances (Or lack, thereof!) has made it all but impossible for me to get this, or any other set. C'est la vie!

CHEERS! :)

Thanks for the response, Tony! Life does have an unfortunate habit of getting in the way of our hobbies sometimes, doesn't it? Thank you for your response (thanks to Gary, too). I hope things continue to improve for you this year and in the future. i always enjoy reading your cheerful posts.

I would indeed be happy to check out those color Don Knotts episodes...if they were smart, CBS/Paramount would release a single DVD featuring those 5 episodes (heck, even throw in the Return to Mayberry reunion film, for those who only bought the individual season sets.) I bet they'd sell pretty well. Then again, if they did that, they'd probably kiss good-bye more sales of seasons 6-8.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
vlcsnap-2018-10-07-22h16m30s449.png
I will defend the last three years of The Andy Griffith Show until the day I die! Don Knotts was great, but it's The Andy Griffith Show. The show still has interesting characters without Knotts. If you can watch and enjoy a B&W episode where Barney is on vacation at the YMCA in Raleigh, you should take the same approach to the episodes in the last few years. You might even want to watch Mayberry R.F.D.!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
If you can watch and enjoy a B&W episode where Barney is on vacation at the YMCA in Raleigh, you should take the same approach to the episodes in the last few years.

Point well taken about the final The Andy Griffith Show color seasons. I may give them a try once I'm done working my way through the first 5 black-and-white years. I think I'll draw the line at Mayberry R.F.D. though. Watching The Andy Griffith Show without Don Knotts is one thing, but The Andy Griffith Show without Andy Griffith? No thanks. ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm with Gary OS on the question of TAGS getting the full series Blu treatment... but then we got others I thought would never receive such treatment. In today's environment I can't see CBS/Paramount doing the release but someone like Kino or Olive *might* if the license were inexpensive enough.

I just looked up S1 on Blu... Holy cow! It's only ~$14 from several Amazon MP vendors - with Prime shipping! I may have to get one "just because" at that price - especially since S1 is one of my favorite seasons of this one.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm with Gary OS on the question of TAGS getting the full series Blu treatment... but then we got others I thought would never receive such treatment. In today's environment I can't see CBS/Paramount doing the release but someone like Kino or Olive *might* if the license were inexpensive enough.

I just looked up S1 on Blu... Holy cow! It's only ~$14 from several Amazon MP vendors - with Prime shipping! I may have to get one "just because" at that price - especially since S1 is one of my favorite seasons of this one.

Been thinking along the same lines, Howie! That S1 Blu-Ray price is mega-cheap. Am pretty dang satisfied with the video quality of the first 5 seasons on DVD, though...I'd mainly get the Blu-Ray set for the original cast commercials that seemed to be incorporated back into the episodes proper, like in the 50th Anniversary set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Been thinking along the same lines, Howie! That S1 Blu-Ray price is mega-cheap. Am pretty dang satisfied with the video quality of the first 5 seasons on DVD, though...I'd mainly get the Blu-Ray set for the original cast commercials that seemed to be incorporated back into the episodes proper, like in the 50th Anniversary set.
A review on another site (from a reviewer I trust) indicates that S1 set of TAGS has the commercials included:

As with Paramount/CBS's release of I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1, viewers are given the option of watching the more familiar syndication cuts or their original network versions. You'll definitely want to select the latter, as each episode features original footage of the cast sometimes literally singing (even Aunt Bee!) the praises of Post Cereal and Sanka Coffee ("It's G-o-o-o-o-d!"), in segments cleverly tied to that week's storyline.

It's a marvelous set that, significantly, also includes Return to Mayberry, the highly-rated 1986 TV reunion movie featuring most of the surviving cast. It, too, was shot in 35mm and looks splendid as it's in high-def, too...

Also in high-def is The Danny Thomas Show show episode featuring Andy Taylor debut, as are the Howard family's On-Set Home Movies. Finally, there's Edward R. Murrow's Person-to-Person interview with Griffith from June 1957, just as his star was rapidly ascending. It's a smart and fascinating addition.
An Amazon reviewer cites the inclusion of the commercials and:
...the original end credits scene (with Andy and Opie walking away from the lake).

That's good enough for me! I'll be ordering this one soon!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Point well taken about the final The Andy Griffith Show color seasons. I may give them a try once I'm done working my way through the first 5 black-and-white years. I think I'll draw the line at Mayberry R.F.D. though. Watching The Andy Griffith Show without Don Knotts is one thing, but The Andy Griffith Show without Andy Griffith? No thanks. ;)

Just about as bad as Laverne & Shirley without the Shirley (for that eighth and final go [1982-83]), I take it?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mayberry RFD Andy and Helen come back to Mayberry to Christen their new Baby. But he is never mentioned again.. do we know what became of him?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I watched Return to Mayberry today. twice in fact. After which I read up on it .. I knew it was filmed on location in California. What I did not know until today was that the Original TAGS Sets (where the show was Originally filmed) were razed .. Why was this? It seems you would want to maintain such Iconic sets

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
So I watched Return to Mayberry today. twice in fact. After which I read up on it .. I knew it was filmed on location in California. What I did not know until today was that the Original TAGS Sets (where the show was Originally filmed) were razed .. Why was this? It seems you would want to maintain such Iconic sets

The outdoor location for TAGS in Culver City, Calif known as the Forty Acres, was falling into disrepair and was bulldozed in 1976. Star Trek and the Adventures of Superman were some shows that were also filmed there.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The outdoor location for TAGS in Culver City, Calif known as the Forty Acres, was falling into disrepair and was bulldozed in 1976. Star Trek and the Adventures of Superman were some shows that were also filmed there.
Off the TV topic, but Forty Acres was also used for numerous Hal Roach films in the 1930s.

CHEERS! :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok , So it had nothing to do with the "Rural Purge" which is Well established Also to follow Tony Off the topic a little, I saw a Youtube Clip which stated that both Jim Nabors and Frank Sutton were ready to move on from Gomer which led to the Jim Nabors Hour. It was stated that CBS was wanting Nabors to Push Sutton out and when he refused, His show was canceled ..Im guessing by then Andy Griffith wasn't involved in CBS decisions?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My sister and her family were at my home for Christmas. My brother in law and I watched the Gomer Pyle Pilot where Andy takes Gomer to Boot camp. the Scene where Sgt Carter (Frank Sutton) Is telling the recruits that they would be well to remember his name because he is going to be their whole world from now on is Hilarious. We thought back to My Dad telling us that his Drill Instructor at Paris Island said something similar and in more colorful language LOL

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do I have it wrong or Did Gomer Pyle film in Color before TAGS did? Why was that that TAGS wasn't first

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks