Cheers - Complete List of Cuts and Music Replacements

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
It seems like every time there is a thread about Cheers, the topic of music replacements comes up. Rather than putting this in an existing thread, I thought this topic deserved its own thread given how many times this has come up over the years.

Searching through the various threads here and elsewhere, I have compiled a list of all known edits to Cheers on the Region 1 (North American) DVD releases. This does NOT cover edits to streaming episodes, as there have been reports that there are different edits to them. However, I have noted when an edit from the DVD is fixed on the streaming version.

Season 4, Episode 20 - Save the Last Dance For Me - Last few seconds of "Da Doo Ron Ron" replaced with generic music.

Season 6, Episode 22 - Slumber Party Massacred - Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" replaced with generic music.

Season 7, Episode 12 - Please Mr. Postman - “Unchained Melody” used instead of “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling.” Syndicated versions have this difference too. “You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling” was mentioned by name in the episode, so the change is quite noticeable. One person on HTF reported that they checked their recording of the original broadcast and it does include the correct song, so the change was made after the original airing.

Season 9, Episode 5 - Ma Always Liked You Best - One scene is cut short to remove Carla singing the theme from Winnie the Pooh. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 9, Episode 6 - Grease - “I Fought the Law” replaced with generic music (multiple instances). The music being played is part of the gag, so this is especially unfortunate.

Season 10, Episode 2 - Get Your Kicks On Route 666 - An establishing shot and the first few seconds of a scene was cut to remove the gang singing along to Dion's “The Wanderer.” This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 4 - The Norm Who Came in from the Cold - While Frasier and Lilith are in bed, the rest of the Cheers gang can be heard singing. The part with them singing "Those Were the Days" is replaced (with, I think, a repeat of the previous song they were singing. A few seconds are then cut that contained direct video of them singing "Those Were the Days."

Season 10, Episode 7 - Bar Wars V: The Final Judgement - Monster Mash replaced with “Vampire Twist.”

Season 10, Episode 23 - Bar Wars VI: This Time It's for Real - There are a few second of the gang joyfully walking into Cheers and sort of grunting some notes. Their grunts have been muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 26 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding, Part 2 - Lilith sings “Make 'em laugh” as she leaves the kitchen. This was muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 26 - One for the Road - Various cuts due to CBS apparently using the three-part cut version and then editing them back together without adding back the cut footage. Runs about 3 minutes short. This is the only episode with cuts that are not music related.

If you are aware of any additional edits to the DVD releases, please add them here. If anyone wants to add a post describing the edits unique to the streaming episodes, please feel free to do so (I kept the thread title generic enough to allow more than just the DVDs to be discussed).

Last edited:

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
On the DVD's, is the music that plays while Norm is working at the beer distillery in 'The King of Beers' (Season 11 - Episode 3) original?

Seemed different to me than I recall from syndication, but I haven't watched this episode on tv in probably 5 years or more until yesterday when I watched it on DVD, so I could be mistaken.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Season 11, Episode 3 - The King of Beers - About a minute of instrumental music during the beer factory montage has been replaced with a soundalike. Original version sounds like a jazzy Put On A Happy Face with piano and saxophone. Replacement is generic and piano (with a little bit of flute). Might be wrong about the instruments, as my ear for that isn't great. Original version has regular Cheers scene intro cue that flows into the music, but the replacement just starts right with the replacement music. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

On the DVD's, is the music that plays while Norm is working at the beer distillery in 'The King of Beers' (Season 11 - Episode 3) original? Seemed different to me than I recall from syndication, but I haven't watched this episode on tv in probably 5 years or more until yesterday when I watched it on DVD, so I could be mistaken.
Excellent ears, my friend! I would add it to my list, but I apparently can't edit posts that old. The new addition is above.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeoA

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm 99.9% sure that I found another one.

The music that plays during "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Bar" (Season 11 - Episode 14) when the Cheers regulars are tearing apart the bar looking for a non-existent money belt, isn't familiar sounding to me nor what I'd consider a very suitable replacement. It sounds very much out of place, as if they weren't even trying at this point with trying to substitute music with something that still sounds like it fits.

Much unlike earlier seasons. I hate to say it since music replacement is obviously annoying to us that know the show, but Vampire Twist for instance instead of Monster Mash in Bar Wars V doesn't sound out of place. I don't think anyone unfamiliar with the show would question if it was original when viewing this episode.

This though sounds obviously out of place.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
In the Slumber Party Massacred episode- is Orbison’s Only The Lonely playing during the “party” scene at Carla’s house? She’s wearing the dark glasses and the black bandana over her hair, kind of swaying to music, while Rebecca and Dorothy are messing with Lilith’s hair.

The I Fought The Law replacement in the Grease episode is awful- completely ruins a couple of jokes.

Last edited:

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, the removal of I Fought the Law is the worst. I don't know what the licensing fee would've been, but I sure wish they would've splurged and paid it since unlike most all of these other cuts, this one goes beyond being annoying and genuinely harms the episode.

I suspect Only the Lonely has been gone even in syndication for many years. I can't recall ever hearing it in that episode. Anyone happen to know?

Same with the Da Doo Ron Ron in the episode 'Save the Last Dance For Me'. I don't remember that one at all even though I love that song and Only the Lonely.

I didn't get into Cheers until perhaps 2005, so I suspect both of these had already been replaced in the syndication versions by that point? I suppose I should just count my blessings that the Righteous Brothers stuff was and remains basically intact, since that really would've been a shame (The song swap in the episode 'Please Mr. Postman' works fine).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Season 11, Episode 14 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bar - Music while the gang tears apart the bar looking for hidden money has been replaced. Original music was Money (That's What I Want) by Barrett Strong. Replacement music is a knock-off: “I Want Money.” This has been restored in streaming episodes.

I'm 99.9% sure that I found another one. The music that plays during "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Bar" (Season 11 - Episode 14) when the Cheers regulars are tearing apart the bar looking for a non-existent money belt, isn't familiar sounding to me nor what I'd consider a very suitable replacement. It sounds very much out of place, as if they weren't even trying at this point with trying to substitute music with something that still sounds like it fits.
Correct again! That was definitely weird. I wouldn't say that they weren't trying, because they did use a "money" themed song for the replacement when they could just thrown in generic music of any kind, but it did sound bad. Warner Bros. was able to license that song for Tiny Toon Adventures on DVD, so I can't imagine that it was too expensive. They seem to have decided to pay for it for Cheers in the years since, so I suspect that they were being unreasonably cheap for the DVD release.

In the Slumber Party Massacred episode- is Orbison’s Only The Lonely playing during the “party” scene at Carla’s house? She’s wearing the dark glasses and the black bandana over her hair, kind of swaying to music, while Rebecca and Dorothy are messing with Lilith’s hair.
Yes, that is the place where the replacement was made.

Yeah, the removal of I Fought the Law is the worst. I don't know what the licensing fee would've been, but I sure wish they would've splurged and paid it since unlike most all of these other cuts, this one goes beyond being annoying and genuinely harms the episode.
Seasons 9, 10, and 11 were handled by CBS DVD rather than Paramount Home Video like the other seasons were. It might not have been that the licensing cost was unusually high, but rather that they were trying to save wherever possible. We'll never know what happened, but given that some other music has been restored and that one hasn't, I suspect that it really is more difficult or expensive to get.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to keep in mind is that for quite awhile CBS Home Entertainment had a policy of clearing music for their DVD releases in perpetuity. That way they would never have to worry about it again. While a great idea, it could get very expensive (CBS paid a small fortune for season 1 of Happy Days). I'm pretty sure that policy was in place throughout the Cheers DVD releases. For "The Lucy Show" DVDs they switched to a "penny rate" deal, which allowed them to clear almost all the music. (I don't think they had been educated on it up to that point). A music publisher could potentially make more money with the penny rate if sales were good, and it was less money up front for CBS. Example: Suppose it costs $1500 to buy out one song. CBS pays that money regardless. With a 10 cent "penny rate", if the release sells only 1,000 units, the song only costs CBS $100 and at least the music rights holder gets something. If the release sells 30,000 units, the song costs CBS $3,000 but it's worth it for the sales. Also the music publisher is happy because he actually makes more than he would have. Of course it always depends on what the music rights holder is willing to negotiate.

Reactions: ClassicTVMan1981X

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timmy Bee