1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Andy Griffith Show: Missing Scenes, Laugh Tracks, And Other Issues

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tony Bensley, Jun 4, 2017.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John

This is the nightmare scenario. I hope it doesn’t occur. However, as I stated earlier, I think it could open a Pandora’s Box.

That being said, I seem to remember that Andy Griffith released an album through time life in the 70s or 80s in which he sung The Ol Fishin Hole. Wouldn’t the rights have had to be granted to him for that purpose?

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. Message #242 of 247 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Don't forget the theme is not just heard with the credits. It is often heard within an episode as part of the score of an episode. That music would have to be changed or the episode edited to remove the music. I am sure there are people here who remember how this effected the initial release of "The Fugitive ", season releases of "My Three Sons", among others when the music within the shows was changed.

This dispute is over uses of the music that did not exist at the time the contracts were negotiated and were not anticipated .
    I assume the contract specifically gave permission to use the theme for broadcast on TV only. The fee paid to the writers was based on this use only. If this was a work for hire, meaning the producers of the show paid the writers to create a theme and then the producers owned the song then we wouldn't have this problem. I think it is unfair to call the owners of the music greedy because the producers didn't pay to own the music. I don't know for certain if these are the facts , I am just assuming they are and the actual facts will come out at trial. Ether CBS will reach a settlement or the case will go to trial. Discontinuing DVD sales or removing the music from future DVDs and streaming version will not make the case go away as there are already many DVDs out there for which the owners of the music claim they have not been properly compensated.

This also means the theme will continue to be heard on METV and where ever else the Andy Griffith Show is broadcast since the broadcast on TV use of the music is not in dispute.

There are two streams of revenue for music. One is for the use of the music in a TV program, movie, commercial etc. and the other is the transmission of the music in public places such as bars, restaurants, hotels, theme parks, department stores, office buildings etc via radio TV, Sirius/XM , music services etc. Whoever holds the publishing rights to the music negotiates the music's use on TV, movies, commercials etc. The public performance of music is mostly handled by one of the performance rights organizations (PROs). In the US they are ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and GMR, which collect royalties on behalf of songwriters or their heirs. The users of the music, bars, restaurants etc and/or the music suppliers such as Muzak (now Mood Music) have contracts with the PROs which allow them to play any music the PROs collect royalties for. In order to cover all music the user must have agreements with all the PRO's as they represent different songwriters. A songwriter is free to move from one PRO to another but can not belong to more then one at anytime.

3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I am very happy to report that these episodes are intact on the new Time-Life Mayberry Collection DVD set!

"Barney Mends A Broken Heart"
    vlcsnap-2019-06-05-12h28m01s953.

"The Darlings Are Coming"
    vlcsnap-2019-06-05-12h30m57s808.

Tony Bensley, LeoA and Mysto like this.
  4. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Pretty steep price for two episodes.

Is there a way to buy just volume 1? That would pretty well cover what interests me here other than not having the opening episode of Mayberry RFD where Andy and Helen get married.

Looks to even have all the guest episodes with Barney, which would be nice to have for someone like me that only owns the black & white seasons and didn't care enough for the color years to buy the season sets.

5. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k Agent

Chad
    Wow.. that's a big development considering even the streaming versions of Andy Griffith on Amazon and other platforms don't have those portions included. I'm probably going to spring for this set just to get the additional RFD episodes included in it.

6. PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    Kinda related:
    CBS/Paramount just released MY THREE SONS - Season Three on DVD. Not ideal quality, but the original background music is intact.

Hope they don't regret THAT decision after this TAGS situation.

7. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k Agent

Chad
    I ordered the Mayberry Collection set. You can use the Coupon Code "SAVE10" to bring the price down to $89.95 at least. Still steep, but having those episodes "complete" and more RFD out there was the deciding factor for me. I'm a sucker for these though. I also own the "Best of" release they did for the Andy Griffith Anniversary a few years ago, and the Target Exclusive "best of" I Love Lucy set.

Blimpoy06 likes this.