What's new

The Andy Griffith Show: Missing Scenes, Laugh Tracks, And Other Issues (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yesterday, I viewed "The Darling Fortune" Season 7 (#6) episode, the final TAGS episode to feature The Darlings/The Dillards. I found that in a number of aspects, it represented a sort of coming full circle; where in their first appearance, Charlene Darling had designs on Andy Taylor, it was his girlfriend Helen Crump that Briscoe Darling was fixing to have hitched with one of his boys; they even reprise with "Salty Dog Blues," which is missing from nearly every release of "The Darlings Are Coming" episode. It even sounded like the same recording that was used in the Season 3 (#25) episode, which in my opinion, is where it represents a more essential, integral component. As it stands,"Salty Dog Blues" inclusion in the latter episode makes for one of the more compelling arguments in favor of not completely dismissing the AGS color seasons; plus there's a pretty funny gag towards the end of that episode!

The Dillards Reprise Their Brand Of "Salty Dog Blues" In The Season 7 Episode "The Darling Fortune" (#6), Which Was Their 6th And Final TAGS Appearance!:
vlcsnap-2017-08-08-22h08m02s685.png

There's Even A Reprisal Of Charlene Darling (Margaret Peterson) Squatting Next To Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith) In Close Up During The Same Section Of The "Salty Dog Blues" Number!:

vlcsnap-2017-08-08-22h16m22s071.png

There's no doubt in my mind that Andy Griffith really enjoyed himself whenever The Dillards were around! While his "Extra Good" exclamation wasn't uttered this time around, Andy was undeniably cheerier than usual!

I believe what may have thrown me off in what I for many years thought a false memory of The Dillards playing "Salty Dog Blues" in the Taylor household, was that I had seen it in Black & White, or at least that was how I remembered it!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Greenbaum and Fritzell were indeed, the credited writers for THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN (1966), which starred Don Knotts. This film, which was an expansion of "The Haunted House" TAGS episode (#2) from Season 4, was released the same month (January, 1966) that Don's two Season 6 TAGS guest appearances aired. I wonder whether there might have been some promotional tie ins with these?

Although I believe that the AGS production was basically done with Hal Smith's Otis Campbell character (He only appeared once more during Season 7!), I do think that a Goober/Warren pairing could have bore more fruit, but unfortunately, it seems that Andy Griffith had already made up his mind about releasing Jack Burns before such a pairing had any chance of catching on.

Perhaps Warren would've gotten better with time. Goober really grated my nerves at times, but he became a bit more bearable towards the end of the show when he was acting in a more serious manner. A bit off from our topic, but when Lindsey reprised the Goober character on Hee Haw, I still found him unfunny and forced. Gomer was never forced or unnatural. I guess it's the same correlation with Warren. He was trying to replace Barney just as Goober tried to replaced Gomer, and the results weren't as good as one would've hoped for.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Perhaps Warren would've gotten better with time. Goober really grated my nerves at times, but he became a bit more bearable towards the end of the show when he was acting in a more serious manner. A bit off from our topic, but when Lindsey reprised the Goober character on Hee Haw, I still found him unfunny and forced. Gomer was never forced or unnatural. I guess it's the same correlation with Warren. He was trying to replace Barney just as Goober tried to replaced Gomer, and the results weren't as good as one would've hoped for.
I do also recall Jack Burns occasionally appearing on HEE HAW, although I don't believe he ever reprised his Warren Lawson/Ferguson character. In my opinion, the poor bugger wasn't given a fair chance, and the writers must have had a severe mind burp, having changed Warren's last name over the course of only 11 appearances within a half season spread!

Though I hate to admit to it, I'm less fond of George Lindsey's Goober character than I was in my youth. Gomer Pyle, on the other hand, I'm even more fond of in my middle age, and his character seemed to remain consistent. In my opinion, everything you stated above also applies.

That said, having viewed most of the AGS Season 7 episodes, Goober Pyle is downright endearing next to Howard Sprague. Oh my gawd, would somebody please wipe that silly smile from his face, already? I also stand by my previous statement that Mrs. Sprague is the least likable recurring TAGS character, at least through the first seven seasons!

Of course, there is Emmett to look forward to in the 8th and final TAGS season! :rolleyes:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW: Season 7 - Observations & Opinions:

This penultimate season would see many lasts. A few are listed below:

- The last Series appearance of Denver Pyle and Maggie Peterson as Briscoe and Charlene Darling, and The Dillards in "The Darling Fortune" (#6). They also reprise "Salty Dog Blues" for the second and last time. This was also their only appearance in a TAGS color episode!

Briscoe Darling, Once Again Looking Somewhat Wary Over His Daughter Charlene's Attentions Towards Sheriff Andy Taylor! It's Been Said That Fellow Recurring TAGS Character Gomer Pyle's Last Name Was Inspired By Denver Pyle!:
vlcsnap-2017-08-08-22h15m58s474.png

- The last Series appearance of Hal Smith as Otis Campbell, the Town Drunk, in "Otis The Deputy" (#13) which looks to me like a reworking of the Season 3 episode "Convicts-At-Large."

Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague); Hal Smith (Otis Campbell); And Andy Griffith (Sheriff Andy Taylor) In "Otis The Deputy" (#13), Which Was Hal's 32nd And Last TAGS Appearance As Town Drunk, Otis Campbell. Hal Smith Was Said To Be A Non-Drinker In Real Life!:
vlcsnap-2017-08-13-16h16m31s990.png

- The last Season in which Don Knotts would make back to back guest appearances, including the one that led to his 5th and last Emmy win for the latter "Barney Comes To Mayberry" episode. That's Five for Five for Barney Five! (Hey, Barney Fife's character was actually called that once, in one of several Fife mispronunciations and misspellings (IE. Fike!) that frequently occurred, always much to the Deputy Sheriff's chagrin!)

Don Knotts (As Barney Fife) Makes Yet Another Emmy Winning Appearance In "Barney Comes To Mayberry" (#19), Which Also Marked The Last Of His Back To Back TAGS Guest Appearances! Diahn Williams (As Teena), Plays Former Mayberry Resident Irene Flogg, Turned Movie Star (And Barney's Date!), Teena Andrews!:
vlcsnap-2017-08-13-16h50m23s183.png

- The saddest last of all: Howard McNear, as the Town Barber, Floyd Lawson, left the Series after it became painfully clear that he could no longer handle the rigors of shooting, and remembering lines. Howard McNear's 80 appearances rank among the highest of the recurring TAGS cast members, this in spite of his not appearing in any 1963 episodes, due to having suffered his first stroke in 1962 during shooting of the show's third season. Floyd's final appearance in the closing Season 7 TAGS episode, "Goober's Contest" (#30), which was also the final one produced for that season, is indeed, most painfully heartbreaking!

Howard McNear (Right, As Beloved Town Barber, Floyd Lawson!) Is Definitely Not Quite Himself At Times, In His 80th, And Final TAGS Appearance, In "Goober's Contest' (#30). It's George Lindsey (As Goober Pyle) On The Left:
vlcsnap-2017-08-18-20h56m48s730.png

Rob Reiner (Center) Makes A TAGS Guest Appearance (As Joe, The Printer's Apprentice) In The "Goober's Contest" Episode. Owen Bush (As Mr. Hammond) Is On The Left, With George Lindsey (As Goober Pyle) On The Right:

vlcsnap-2017-08-18-21h00m07s475.png

Thankfully, There Is This Lovely Final Shot Of Floyd Lawson (Howard McNear) Comforting Goober (George Lindsey), With Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier) Also Offering Her Support, In The "Goober's Contest" Episode!:

vlcsnap-2017-08-18-20h55m50s955.png

Below are a few technical notables:

- After viewing a full color season of 25 minute + episodes, "Otis The Deputy" was the first color TAGS episode that I encountered, in which the running time was under 25 minutes in length.

- As presented on the Season 7 DVDs, the first of the two Don Knotts guest appearances "A Visit To Barney Fife" (#18), fails to give him credit, verbally, or otherwise! In Don's second appearance "Barney Comes To Mayberry" (#19), there is a "Guest Star Don Knotts" credit superimposed over the opening, preceding the usual opening Series name and credits. Was the lack of a listing in the previous episode a leftover syndication era foul up, or could this be how it was originally presented? It's too bad there aren't any readily available original closing credits for either of these episodes for comparison, at least that I'm aware of!

The Only Don Knotts Credit That Appears On Either Of His CBS/Paramount DVD Issued Season 7 TAGS Guest Appearances!:
vlcsnap-2017-08-13-16h44m57s251.png

- To wrap up the technical aspects; while a minor point, no logos follow the end credits for the AGS Season 7 episodes on the CBS/Paramount DVDs.

- Believe it or not, this season was the only one in which THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW ever received an Emmy nomination for Best Primetime Comedy Series! In light of the show being well past the halcyon Black & White era Griffith/Knotts pairing (How did the show never get nominated in those years?), it is little wonder to me that THE MONKEES bagged the Emmy, instead! However, Frances Bavier DID win an Emmy in the Best Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series category!

But Honestly, Did This Really Stand Any Chance....

vlcsnap-2017-08-18-20h47m26s881.png

....Against This At Emmy Time?
vlcsnap-2017-08-18-21h54m14s301.png

- For a final notable tidbit, despite TAGS often pointed out shortcomings during the later color seasons, the show finished a then personal best of number 3 among prime time shows, in the then all important Nielsen Ratings!

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Nice wrap up on Season 7. I can't remember which of my books I read it in, but an interview with a crew member during the season said that Howard McNear would sometimes cry on the set because he couldn't deliver his lines due to his condition after multiple strokes. I think it was one hell of a gesture that Andy Griffith still aloud McNear to work as long as he was willing.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without going through the whole Thread, Theres an Issue with Season one episode Ellie Comes to town. I tried in 2 players and it wont play

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Without going through the whole Thread, Theres an Issue with Season one episode Ellie Comes to town. I tried in 2 players and it wont play
I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with that episode, John! While I've read about some people having playback issues with some of the AGS episodes, every episode from the 8 seasons played fine for me, including the DVD and Blu-ray versions of the Season 1 "Ellie Comes To Town" episode.

My advice would be to contact whatever merchant you purchased your TAGS Season/Series set from for a disc replacement. All the best in getting this matter resolved!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with that episode, John! While I've read about some people having playback issues with some of the AGS episodes, every episode from the 8 seasons played fine for me, including the DVD and Blu-ray versions of the Season 1 "Ellie Comes To Town" episode.

My advice would be to contact whatever merchant you purchased your TAGS Season/Series set from for a disc replacement. All the best in getting this matter resolved!

Thank you Tony ..

I will be doing that later today. However, I Noticed the set I bought contains Some special Features .."Opie Joins the Marines" From Season 2 of Gomer Pyle USMC, An Episode of The Danny Thomas Show aka Make room for Daddy where Andy Griffith is introduced and The Return to Mayberry Telemovie from 1986 ... I purchased my set from Amazon and noticed there were 2 release Dates ... Was the Set Updated after the complete Series was released ?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Hate to say it, but I'm thinking you bought a bootleg for three reasons.

I'm no expert on this series on DVD, but I've never heard of that episode of Gomer Pyle ever having been included on a DVD release for this series. It's also a strange inclusion to toss into a newly minted season one set.

And I've never heard of Return to Mayberry showing up outside of the recently released standalone DVD, the original complete series DVD set from years ago , the 50th Anniversary set, and the Blu-Ray season 1 release. And it's not in the 2016 version of the complete series set that left out the bonus disc, nor the Wal-Mart set from last year that had the first 5 seasons (If they revised season 1 recently, it seems like we'd of seen it last year in those two big sets).

And lastly, their quality control in manufacturing is one thing that you can give them credit for. Playback issues with their discs are rare. Sadly, the same can't be said for what they actually put on the discs, as evidenced by this thread and past missteps like their last complete series set for The Fugitive when the incorrect masters are used instead of the fixed versions. But you can usually rest assured that there won't be playback issues with a CBS release.

I don't think you bought an official CBS Home Entertainment/Paramount Home Media Distribution release.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I Noticed the set I bought contains Some special Features .."Opie Joins the Marines" From Season 2 of Gomer Pyle USMC, An Episode of The Danny Thomas Show aka Make room for Daddy where Andy Griffith is introduced and The Return to Mayberry Telemovie from 1986

The bonus shows you've listed were part of the complete series collection 40 disc set that was released in 2007. It has cardboard sleeveswith the appearance of a tablecloth as packaging.
andydvd2.jpg

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Darin,

The set in your photo is the set I bought. When I started playing the Discs yesterday, the first 3 Episodes played perfectly. Then when the player got to the fourth one, the disc started Skipping. I then tried it in my DVD drive on my computer where again, the first 3 played and the 4th one started skipping. Upon inspecting the disc, I saw what I thought were scratches on one side. When I noticed the Bonus Disc, I put it in and the Episode of Gomer Pyle Played with no problem as did Return to Mayberry. However, the Danny Thomas show Episode started Skipping. When I looked at the disc, I did not see any obvious damage

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Darin,

The set in your photo is the set I bought. When I started playing the Discs yesterday, the first 3 Episodes played perfectly. Then when the player got to the fourth one, the disc started Skipping. I then tried it in my DVD drive on my computer where again, the first 3 played and the 4th one started skipping. Upon inspecting the disc, I saw what I thought were scratches on one side. When I noticed the Bonus Disc, I put it in and the Episode of Gomer Pyle Played with no problem as did Return to Mayberry. However, the Danny Thomas show Episode started Skipping. When I looked at the disc, I did not see any obvious damage
That type of packaging which is becoming more common is not good for the playing surface of DVDs which really are delicate and easily damaged. You may possibly have minute scratches which affect play . I discussed this "issue " with someone with ties to a DVD/Blu-ray company and asked him why such shoddy packaging is used and he informed me that very often the people who come up with the packages , don't use DVDs and Blu-rays . In other words , they are clue-less!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Darin,

I hope you can get a replacement set. I've had mine for years with no playback issues. The newer release date is for the clam shell release without the bonus disc. Return To Mayberry is now sold individually as a stand alone release.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
In everything I ever saw, that bonus disc from the original complete series release included the Make Room For Daddy episode and Return To Mayberry.

I wonder why Opie Joins the Marines is never mentioned then? Seems like only a handful of retailers I've never heard of bothered to note it in their product description after doing a search just now.

At least it's not a bootleg. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In everything I ever saw, that bonus disc from the original complete series release included the Make Room For Daddy episode and Return To Mayberry.

I wonder why Opie Joins the Marines is never mentioned then? Seems like only a handful of retailers I've never heard of bothered to note it in their product description after doing a search just now.

At least it's not a bootleg. :)
Given that no subsequent mention of Opie's running away to Camp Henderson is ever made in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW series proper, why was "Opie Joins The Marines" included as a bonus, as opposed to say, the MAYBERRY, R.F.D. series premiere, "Andy And Helen Get Married"? In my opinion, the inclusion of that episode would have made a lot more sense, especially with the inclusion of the much later RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV movie, in which Barney And Thelma tie the knot at long last!

OK, getting off my Soapbox now! ;)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
why was "Opie Joins The Marines" included as a bonus, as opposed to say, the MAYBERRY, R.F.D. series premiere

I agree that it would be a better addition. Sad reality is that Warner Bros. distributes Mayberry R.F.D. and CBS did not license it from them. There are also Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. episodes where Goober and Aunt Bee visit as well.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was able to get a replacement. The bonus materials in the season One set and the 4th episode, "Ellie comes to Town" all play normally where they didn't in the original set I got. Am I mistaken, or were the episodes digitally remastered ? Im not in any way complaining. But when I see the episodes on Television, they don't seem as Clean from a film perspective

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
For a final notable tidbit, despite TAGS often pointed out shortcomings during the later color seasons, the show finished a then personal best of number 3 among prime time shows, in the then all important Nielsen Ratings!

Enjoyed reading through this interesting thread. As a casual watcher of The Andy Griffith Show growing up, it's only been recently that I've become a big fan and appreciator or this fine series.

I was just curious, Tony, if you ever finished your epic marathon through the complete series, as you've yet to comment on the final 8th season?

As for myself, while somewhat curious to see the show in color, I think I'll stick to the first five B & W seasons of the show, which seem to be unilaterally considered the best. It's odd you mention the laugh track dropping out at the 18 minute mark in a few episodes. I watched "The Sermon for Today" from season 4 several months back and never noticed the laugh track disappearing (of course, I did watch it on the 50th Anniversary set). What a strange DVD authoring mistake to make!

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Enjoyed reading through this interesting thread. As a casual watcher of The Andy Griffith Show growing up, it's only been recently that I've become a big fan and appreciator or this fine series.

I was just curious, Tony, if you ever finished your epic marathon through the complete series, as you've yet to comment on the final 8th season?

As for myself, while somewhat curious to see the show in color, I think I'll stick to the first five B & W seasons of the show, which seem to be unilaterally considered the best. It's odd you mention the laugh track dropping out at the 18 minute mark in a few episodes. I watched "The Sermon for Today" from season 4 several months back and never noticed the laugh track disappearing (of course, I did watch it on the 50th Anniversary set). What a strange DVD authoring mistake to make!
I’d suggest you at least watch the color episodes when Don Knotts returns. They’re worthy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I did view the final season episodes, but life's distractions unfortunately took my focus away from posting about them. We've been through a lot of life changes this past year, and are still in the midst of adjusting. My posting about the final season of GOMER PYLE: USMC also wound up getting derailed, although I have also viewed these, and have the running times for each episode noted.
I’d suggest you at least watch the color episodes when Don Knotts returns. They’re worthy.
I wholeheartedly agree regarding the Don Knotts guest episodes! There are some other bright spots in the AGS color seasons, as well.

My plan was to follow my TAGS and Gomer viewings with RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986), which I do have on Blu-ray. Upon discovering the existence of the "Andy And Helen Get Married" MAYBERRY, RFD episode, I had hoped to eventually get the season one RFD set to view that one first. Unfortunately, by the time The Warner Archive reissued it earlier this year, I was no longer able to budget for it even at the lower price point, what with moving expenses, and our now much lower month to month available finances (Or lack, thereof!) has made it all but impossible for me to get this, or any other set. C'est la vie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks