What's new

Cheers - Complete List of Cuts and Music Replacements (1 Viewer)

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
yes some footage unique to the NBC cut was restored cause I compared both the DVD finale and the streaming versions side by side and noticed segments on the DVD version missing in the streaming 3 part edit

I was able to tell they cobbled it together from more than one source cause the extra bits unique to the NBC cuts on the DVD release were of much lower quality than the rest of the episode, the DVD finale runs an even 70 minutes

One theory I have is they were attempting to put together the NBC cut but "forgot" to restore some bits in the beginning and end though it's quite possible some of it was due to musical reasons, mainly the bits I noticed were restored were the parts that bridged parts 1/2 and parts 2/3 together

That is very interesting. It sounds to me like they had to work with the syndication masters, and manually add back in film elements from the original cut (rather than working with the original master). It's quite possible that they couldn't find the original elements for the parts they didn't restore, or that they were in such poor quality that they decided to not include them.

I'm not really sure what specifically the edits to the DVD are considering I lost the recording I found long ago but I do believe that some material was music related, if I manage to get the broadcast recording again I'll check and see

I have a list that I found on another message board long ago. Unfortunately, I do not have the contributor's name for attribution and I can't find the list online anywhere, so my apologies to the original poster for not crediting them:

#1. LL Cool J being announced and Paul explaining that he moved his whole schedule around for
Kim Alexis, then goes into the full theme song (0:28)

#2. After the first commercial (following the theme), the episode credits and announcement of
the Ninja Turtles (0:15)

#3. When Frasier is grilling Sam about picking up and going to California, Sam explains that
Diane's annoying habits don't bother him anymore, a pretty funny scene (0:41)

#4. Upon returning from the last commercial break, Sam explains where he got his cigars is cut
(0:28)

#5. Sam kissing Rebecca at the end (0:34)

#6. Cliff talking about Hippocrates being barefoot in his shoe speech was cut (0:19)

#7. Carla makes a comment about the night turning into a pajama party right before the phone
rings (0:10)

#8. The extended credits (0:10)

None of these clips has any music issues in them. The only thing that even remotely could be music-related is that the original end credits has what sounds like a unique cover of the theme music. Otherwise, I don't think there's any clearance-related reasons why any of these clips would be problematic.

Real Name
Nate
That is very interesting. It sounds to me like they had to work with the syndication masters, and manually add back in film elements from the original cut (rather than working with the original master). It's quite possible that they couldn't find the original elements for the parts they didn't restore, or that they were in such poor quality that they decided to not include them.

I have a list that I found on another message board long ago. Unfortunately, I do not have the contributor's name for attribution and I can't find the list online anywhere, so my apologies to the original poster for not crediting them:

#1. LL Cool J being announced and Paul explaining that he moved his whole schedule around for
Kim Alexis, then goes into the full theme song (0:28)

#2. After the first commercial (following the theme), the episode credits and announcement of
the Ninja Turtles (0:15)

#3. When Frasier is grilling Sam about picking up and going to California, Sam explains that
Diane's annoying habits don't bother him anymore, a pretty funny scene (0:41)

#4. Upon returning from the last commercial break, Sam explains where he got his cigars is cut
(0:28)

#5. Sam kissing Rebecca at the end (0:34)

#6. Cliff talking about Hippocrates being barefoot in his shoe speech was cut (0:19)

#7. Carla makes a comment about the night turning into a pajama party right before the phone
rings (0:10)

#8. The extended credits (0:10)

None of these clips has any music issues in them. The only thing that even remotely could be music-related is that the original end credits has what sounds like a unique cover of the theme music. Otherwise, I don't think there's any clearance-related reasons why any of these clips would be problematic.
I don't think it has anything to do with elements as to why the other segments weren't restored

As I said the parts that bridge 1/2 and 2/3 had restored material but beyond that nothing else was restored, it was either due to laziness or forgetfulness, knowing CBS most likely a bit of both

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
The copy of the finale that I ended up with runs 73:22 (about 6 seconds of black screen at the end). It's a fan restoration utilizing the streaming version plus trims upscaled and flown in from vhs.

It always amazes me when a fan edit is better than what a studio with full access to original elements can provide.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The copy of the finale that I ended up with runs 73:22 (about 6 seconds of black screen at the end). It's a fan restoration utilizing the streaming version plus trims upscaled and flown in from vhs.

It always amazes me when a fan edit is better than what a studio with full access to original elements can provide.
Fans care. Companies pump out product for profit.

Much like Grandma's cooking, the special ingredient is love.

...or lard. Either way.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Fans don't have the money and vault access to do it right. Companies do.

If Brandon Tartikoff had treated Cheers as just another product, then it wouldn't have run 11 years.

Real Name
Nate
ok so here's a list of exactly what was cut on the syndicated three part edit and what was restored on DVD, though I'm going off of the runtime of the 73 minute version rather than the 70 minute DVD version

Stuff missing from syndication but restored on DVD:

23:17 - 23:43 - different shot to restore original fade to black instead of the "to be continued" credit from the syndication edit

23:45 - 23:49 - different establishing shot instead of the "Cheers" sign from the syndication edit

24:42 - 25:07 - alternative material along with some extra shots which remove the credits from the syndication edit

45:15 - 45:19 - different shot to restore original fade to black instead of the "to be continued" credit from the syndication edit

45:20 - 47:27 - different establishing shot instead of the "Cheers" sign from the syndication edit along with an entire extra dialogue scene with Carla and Debra

48:22 - 49:34 - extra dialogue between the guys at the bar

Stuff missing in syndication and on DVD:

1:01 - 2:31 - extra dialogue along with the full intro (syndication/DVD used the abridged version)

2:32 - 2:48 - alternative establishing shot along with extra scene of the guys watching the awards ceremony, the credits are altered as well to accomodate

49:59 - 50:40 - extra dialogue

52:26 - 52:40 - slightly longer shot due to there being a fade to black missing from the syndication edit

52:41 - 52:46 - ditto, along with there being an alternate music cue

60:36 - 61:08 - alternate establishing shot along with extra dialogue

61:31 - 62:16 - extra dialogue and kiss between Rebecca and Sam

65:00 - 65:49 - extra dialogue along with alternative takes with Carla's dialogue (she mostly says the same stuff though)

67:43 - 67:55 - extra dialogue

72:36 - 73:19 - longer end credits, Paramount logo in place of CBS logo, and a "thank you" card from the show's writers

that should about cover it all

As I said before I do believe the season 11 DVD is a legitimate attempt at restoring the finale to its original NBC cut though the attempt was clearly very rushed and sloppy, the only restored NBC material was the stuff that bridged parts 1/2 and 2/3 together, everything else CBS just disregarded which is a big shame

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Boy am I glad I taped the original broadcast of the final episode. I just wish my family had gotten a Hi-Fi stereo VCR a year earlier. They not only cut stuff, but they replaced pre-existing shots.

iTunes has it broken up into 3 parts, each one listed as 23 minutes, so they are most likely the same as the DVD but in HD.

Real Name
Nate
no the US DVD has all three parts put together with a 70 minute runtime, I literally just said that in the post above

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I meant that there is no footage on iTunes that isn't also on the DVD. So what they have ended up with is a hybrid that is longer than the syndicated version but is not truly uncut.

Real Name
Nate
I meant that there is no footage on iTunes that isn't also on the DVD. So what they have ended up with is a hybrid that is longer than the syndicated version but is not truly uncut.
yes I do agree it's really weird and should've been completely uncut, but alas CBS is lazy

what makes this even weirder was every other "special" episode would be uncut on DVD (sans occasional music trims) and EVEN WEIRDER was once again those "special" episodes would be in their split versions on streaming releases

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, going through Cheers, so far it looks like the best option through season 8 is the discs. Virtually no difference between the two (unless the discs are missing that Unforgettable part in the season 3 episode).

The last three seasons, though, look to be streaming over discs, except in the cases of hourlong or more episodes. And in the one case for season 10, it's full hourlong cut on DVD vs. one restored line and syndication cuts on streaming.

Oh, and I Fought The Law is back on the jukebox in S9E6.

Real Name
Nate
So, going through Cheers, so far it looks like the best option through season 8 is the discs. Virtually no difference between the two (unless the discs are missing that Unforgettable part in the season 3 episode).

The last three seasons, though, look to be streaming over discs, except in the cases of hourlong or more episodes. And in the one case for season 10, it's full hourlong cut on DVD vs. one restored line and syndication cuts on streaming.

Oh, and I Fought The Law is back on the jukebox in S9E6.
That's cool about I Fought The Law, even though it's also strange cause I remember years ago the Netflix version had the replacement song

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's cool about I Fought The Law, even though it's also strange cause I remember years ago the Netflix version had the replacement song

There appear to have been further changes since then, then. That Unforgettable bit is on the Streaming versions now, as well.

Unfortunately, the other replacements for the first 8 seasons appear to be permanent. And they changed Shout to Howlin Wolf in that one episode, so that's a new to streaming edit.

Oh, and Monster Mash is gone for good. Sorry.

One thing I don't get... why did they never fix You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin for season 7? They retained it for season 8, but never fixed the original gag that actually name checked it. Hell, they could've changed the S8 version to Unchained Melody for all I care. I just want consistency.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe that's why they've held off on a Blu-ray release. They want to use that to get everything right. For this show, you'd think they'd put in the effort.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Because I figure if it hasn't been fixed by now, it's not going to be.

They've taken what appears to be three passes at music and it's still changed. But who knows.

I wonder whether the rights to some of these songs have changed hands since then and the new owners are less agreeable to favorable licensing terms than the old ones were. With the way the music industry has consolidated, that's more than likely.

I'm surprised they cheaped out on "Monster Mash." Fox did not when The Simpsons used it in season 4 (concurrent with the last season of Cheers).

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Part of the reason being they'd need to go back to the original 35mm broadcast prints to work from. Although all 275 episodes of Cheers were filmed to start with, the 1986-93 episodes were edited on videotape.

~Ben
The series has been remastered in HD for over a decade now, it's on iTunes, Amazon and I think it's even been on Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks