What's new

Happy Days question (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I did a search and didn't really find an answer. I was a big fan of "Happy Days" when it originally aired -- our family watched it every week at 7:00 on Tuesday nights, as well as the ABC daytime reruns and later in syndication as "Happy Days Again." However, I really haven't watched this series much since maybe the 1980s.

Something reawakened my interest in this show recently. I had bought the first season on DVD back when it was released years ago, but I went no further with it on hearing that subsequent seasons had a lot of music replacements. Anyway, all these years I had been under the impression that the first season had the original music. I know I remembered "Rock Around The Clock" as the theme song, but again, I probably watched a few shows when I first got this, but hadn't revisited it since.

So last night I put on an episode which happened to be "Fonzie Drops In." The show starts with Bill Haley's song. Then the opening scene of the episode begins and I was hearing the early version of the "Happy Days" theme song which was played in the closing of the first two seasons. It just seemed a little odd to me, then as it faded out I could hear a tiny little bit of a 1950s song, but not enough for me to identify what it was. On the flip side, later on in the show I did hear "See You Later, Alligator" in the background, but it seems like otherwise there wasn't much music from the era like I remember.

So there's music replacements on Season 1 as well? I really wasn't aware.

I really wanted to get the second season, especially as one of my favorite episodes is in it, but the reviews I read made it sound like it was badly compromised with music replacements. But I also read that some International versions of the release have the original music. Is that correct, and can anyone fill me in on that?

I do remember several favorite episodes and looking at online guides, a bunch of them are in the third season, which is later than I expected. I know they didn't (haven't?) finished this series on DVD but with what they have released, what is the status of the music on the later seasons?

Stuff like this gets me regretting not taping these during the years they were on every day in reruns.

A couple of asides...like I said, even though it's a favorite show of my youth, I haven't revisited it often in recent decades. But I remember reading that in some fairly recent cable reruns, some episodes had the syndicated "Happy Days Again" titles. That would be cool to get just for the sake of nostalgia. Is this still the case? Anyone know which ones?

I also remember like other network shows, they had a mid-show bumper in the original prime time broadcasts as well as the ABC daytime reruns. I remember in one Erin Moran said something like "Happy Days will be right back...I think." I miss stuff like that. Our local station that ran "Mission: Impossible" in the late 1980s included those bumpers, yet stuff like that is very rarely included in DVD sets, even as extras.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I also remember like other network shows, they had a mid-show bumper in the original prime time broadcasts as well as the ABC daytime reruns. I remember in one Erin Moran said something like "Happy Days will be right back...I think." I miss stuff like that. Our local station that ran "Mission: Impossible" in the late 1980s included those bumpers, yet stuff like that is very rarely included in DVD sets, even as extras.

I remember some of them:

Marion: "Happy Days will return in a moment. Won't it, dear?"
Howard: "Yes, sweetheart."

and

Fonzie: "Happy Days will be right back. Just hang on for a moment, huh?"

and

Joanie: "Stay tuned for more Happy Days. Or you know who will send me to my room."

Might have a word or two wrong there. But it wasn't mid episode. It was after act 2 before the tag.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I remember some of them:

Marion: "Happy Days will return in a moment. Won't it, dear?"
Howard: "Yes, sweetheart."

and

Fonzie: "Happy Days will be right back. Just hang on for a moment, huh?"

and

Joanie: "Stay tuned for more Happy Days. Or you know who will send me to my room."

Might have a word or two wrong there. But it wasn't mid episode. It was after act 2 before the tag.

I remember a Potsie comeback, but I don't remember the set up: "Funny as a rubber crutch, Rich." Anyone?

Also a Fonzie one: "Hey, stay tuned for more Happy DAYS...whoa!"

Some of these wind up on later episodes of the show run on Me-TV

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
MeTV has shown one or two o those bumpers around season 7 or 8.

They had them on Laverne & Shirley, too. I remember this one.

Shirley: “There’ll be more fun when the commercial’s done. Hey Laverne, I made a rhyme!”
Laverne, sarcastically: “Whoopee.”

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MeTV has shown one or two o those bumpers around season 7 or 8.

They had them on Laverne & Shirley, too. I remember this one.

Shirley: “There’ll be more fun when the commercial’s done. Hey Laverne, I made a rhyme!”
Laverne, sarcastically: “Whoopee.”

I remember that L&S one! So these pop up here and there on MeTV then? Cool. (Although I am not thrilled with MeTV caving to the outrage mobs -- but when you're running a business, you gotta do what you gotta do.)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As much as I disliked the audience participation of that era of the sitcom, it did kind of feel like we were all watching the show about people we liked as one large group across the country. The bumpers helped keep the really sweet and light energy.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Has MeTV done more than just pull a few episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies off?

I don't know. I've only read a Robert Feder column about it, which suggested they are going through all kinds of shows and cutting or digitally altering things which might provoke bad behavior.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As if it wasn't bad enough to just randomly cut two minutes from every episode to sell more commercial time to begin with.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As if it wasn't bad enough to just randomly cut two minutes from every episode to sell more commercial time to begin with.
Yes M*A*S*H really got trimmed for the syndication reruns. I watched a bunch of these episodes, then I bought the (mostly) unedited series on DVD. A big difference.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At this point I would love for CBS to just cut all the remaining music that is problematic and release the rest of the DVD season. I love those late seasons with Jenny Piccalo, and it looks like I will never see them again.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
At this point I would love for CBS to just cut all the remaining music that is problematic and release the rest of the DVD season. I love those late seasons with Jenny Piccalo, and it looks like I will never see them again.

They do run on Me-TV. I saw the entire series.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

They didn't mind gutting Laverne & Shirley to get it out.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hate being teased by the Connie Francis credits at the end of many Laverne & Shirley episodes on DVD, yet I've never heard a Connie Francis song play yet in the jukebox at the bowling alley and such on any of the discs. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks