What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hey Neal, it was great of you to post all those great comic covers! You have a real passion for it! That’s great.

Last night I watched a couple of the season 1 episodes that were not shown over the weekend binge. The Stolen Costume and Runaway Robot. plus the extra features, Noel Neill and Stamp Day for Superman on the second season set.

I did listen to the audio commentary from Gary Grossman on the Stolen Costume episode and learned of his book From Serial to Cereal. So that’s pretty cool the author of that book contributed to the extras on the Superman series set. I might have to find a copy of that book too.

I might have to watch another episode. The DVDs look better then the episodes broadcast too.
Thanks Nelson! Comic books have been a passion of mine since I was probably 6 years old. When the rest of my childhood seemed to be mostly troubling there were the comic books with all the great super heroes and my lone ray of light. Stan Lee rescued me as his fantasies were the only things that a confused little kid gravitated to. I practically learned to read write and speak from reading Marvel Comics and ultimately it gave me a career that lasted over 38 years.

Those two early Season 1 episodes are wonderful examples of how great the Adventures of Superman were, (particularly the first two seasons). I need to go back and listen to that audio commentary. All too often I neglect to listen to those on many classic TV DVD releases. Thanks for reminding me about it. Although I didn't know about Superman Serial to Cereal the name Gary Grossman was familiar to me.

I wondered during this past weekend why you were watching the cut episodes on the Decades Network Adventures of Superman Binge when you mentioned you had purchased the complete DVD series, but I figured maybe you just didn't feel like going through the trouble of inserting the discs into your DVD player. Also I don't exactly know why but in a way it feels better to watch something being aired on tv than on a DVD player. Perhaps it's because we don't know what episode is about to be shown or because it brings back the way we actually watched it for the very first time? But I didn't post that in any of the threads where you mentioned it was airing because I thought to myself, why spoil your good time.

I've always loved reading about your enthusiasm here as you are just now discovering so many classic tv series. You might be single-handed keeping physical media alive.
icon_e_thumbsup.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neal, That’s really cool you found a world to go to that brought you happiness! My childhood passions were die cast cars! I’d love to rebuild that collection today!

I’ve been finding the DecadesTV weekend binges kind of fun during this pandemic. There are shows that I know and own and more so, there are shows I do know, but do not own. There are shows too that I am familiar with, but have not seen in ages and got me to buy the series. So yes, there’s a certain comfort to just leave the TV, and other TV’s on and go about my day doing what I need to do and let the shows just play all day to watch or listen to. There’s some shows I never seen before like Highway Patrol that was on a few weeks ago. I knew about it and knew who the star was. I might try to buy it.

I have not converted Superman to MKV files yet for quick and easy streaming. I watched this show as a kid and loved it. But not so much as an adult. The first season is much less familiar to me because I think the Noel Neill episodes were mostly shown it seemed. Many are a bit of a revelation because the bad guys are really bad and people get killed! The later seasons did seem more juvenile as been noted. But can be fun if you’re just in the right state of mind. :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, That’s really cool you found a world to go to that brought you happiness! My childhood passions were die cast cars! I’d love to rebuild that collection today!
Nelson as it turned out I was very lucky to have found something that I made a good living at which I also loved doing. For the first 25 years that is.
I’ve been finding the DecadesTV weekend binges kind of fun during this pandemic. There are shows that I know and own and more so, there are shows I do know, but do not own. There are shows too that I am familiar with, but have not seen in ages and got me to buy the series. So yes, there’s a certain comfort to just leave the TV, and other TV’s on and go about my day doing what I need to do and let the shows just play all day to watch or listen to. There’s some shows I never seen before like Highway Patrol that was on a few weeks ago. I knew about it and knew who the star was. I might try to buy it.
That makes much sense. I’ve done that too. Comfort television is what I think you’d call it. Better pick up those Highway Patrol season sets asap as I believe they will be OPP real soon just as other ZIV properties like Sea Hunt have. S02 already is OPP. MGM gave us Season 1. Broderick Crawford was tough as nails. So much so they went ahead and filmed episodes despite his obviously visible cold sores. Read Private Life Wikipedia.
I have not converted Superman to MKV files yet for quick and easy streaming. I watched this show as a kid and loved it. But not so much as an adult. The first season is much less familiar to me because I think the Noel Neill episodes were mostly shown it seemed. Many are a bit of a revelation because the bad guys are really bad and people get killed! The later seasons did seem more juvenile as been noted. But can be fun if you’re just in the right state of mind. :)
Agreed. Are into The Fugitive yet? Happy viewing my friend!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Better pick up those Highway Patrol season sets asap as I believe they will be OPP real soon just as other ZIV properties like Sea Hunt have. S02 already is OPP. MGM gave us Season 1. Broderick Crawford was tough as nails. So much so they went ahead and filmed episodes despite his obviously visible cold sores. Read Private Life Wikipedia.
10-4 Neal! I had been researching the sets and yeah, it’s kind of hard to figure. Season One is a bit expensive and Season 4 is really expensive. But I’ll do some more digging around.

I have not started my journey with The Fugitive yet, but I hope to soon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Can you ask the sellers any questions regarding the items? The original 1976 softcover version measures 8" x 11" and should be a length of 191 pages and weigh about a pound. The mass market version was released in about 1978 (I want to say it was reissued as a tie-in with the movie) and is a lot smaller but a telltale sign is that it has far more than 191 pages (but still manages to drop a lot of the appendices, the episode guide and photos) and it's not glossy paper. The original has a 1976 cover price of $3.95 (I don't know if that changed with reprints or not?)

The original should have the cover I posted, I don't believe it was altered until the second version.

Good luck, it's a great source!

EDIT: Looking at the ebay links (Which I should have just done from the very beginning), there IS an easy tell. The covers with the Superman cartoon NEXT to the logo and no writing under the photo look to be the orginals and the narrower covers with the cartoon moved OVER the top of the logo and writing under the picture look to be the second, mass market printing.
The author, Gary Grossman, is selling new copies on Amazon for about $30 plus shipping. I have no idea which version but its nice the money would go to the author. The link also says you can ask him questions.

New​

$29.50$29.50

$3.99 delivery October 22 - November 8. Details

Add to Cart

Ships from
GARY GROSSMAN
Sold by
GARY GROSSMAN
(20 ratings)
95% positive

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
10-4 Neal! I had been researching the sets and yeah, it’s kind of hard to figure. Season One is a bit expensive and Season 4 is really expensive. But I’ll do some more digging around.

I have not started my journey with The Fugitive yet, but I hope to soon.
10 4!!!

Tom.W

Second Unit
Hi Neal, that opening shot is of Phyllis Coates, the first Lois Lane from The Adventures of Superman, as I'm sure you know. Not sure how that got into the retrospective of Noel Neill, I think from the dvd. Nice to know that Phyllis is still with us at 94.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hi Neal, that opening shot is of Phyllis Coates, the first Lois Lane from The Adventures of Superman, as I'm sure you know. Not sure how that got into the retrospective of Noel Neill, I think from the dvd. Nice to know that Phyllis is still with us at 94.
Interesting observation Tom. Perhaps Gary Grossman might answer your question? If you watch the video directly on YouTube you don't see that Phyllis Coates bumper.

Noel Neill really was The First Lady of Metropolis.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Betty White and Superman.
Anyone know where this came from?
I check IMDB but unless I missed something it didn't solve the mystery for me.

BettyWhiteSuperman.jpg

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I was a big Superman fan as a child. I’d discovered him on Sesame Street & the Super Friends. I just loved the character. My mom and I were talking one day and she said when she was a girl, there was an actual Superman on tv. This is 1976 so there was so way to access the 50’s show. Maybe a year or more later, one station started running the show around 5pm everyday. Mom worked a lot and rarely took days off but she left work early the day Superman premiered to watch it with me! The episode was one from the later seasons where Superman is in a trap with Kryptonite rays coming down on him. What shocked my mom was seeing the show in color! She’d never known some episodes were in color. Never forgot that day & I became a big fan of the show.

Mom was the best.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
John,

I highly doubt Warners will do anything further with this series.
This was just a quick buck DVD release, using a video transfer from 30+ years ago of fine grain 16mm film.
Word has it that some of the original 35mm prints are too damaged to work with without a costly restoration.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks