What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I pulled Season 1 of the show to watch. I’m watching the episode the Stolen costume. I must say time was not kind to the negatives of this episode. I’m watching the SD DVD is my new Sony 4K UHD player x-800 M2 model. The show looks like I’m watching it on a black &white TV with Rabitt ear antenna.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For that one specific episode, apparently there was no 35mm element readily available so it came from a 16mm print - I think the quality of the episode’s entertainment is more than enough to make up for the presentation shortcomings but yeah, it’s rough.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For that one specific episode, apparently there was no 35mm element readily available so it came from a 16mm print - I think the quality of the episode’s entertainment is more than enough to make up for the presentation shortcomings but yeah, it’s rough.

I had not pulled the show to watch in about 4 years. The last time I watched it in general was on a Blu Ray player and the discs were skipping and freezing even though they are single sided. In this instance I have not experienced that. Which means the quality of the players I’ve used in the past wasn’t that great.

I’d like to see a Blu Ray release of the show but I doubt Warner would invest in that. Besides, if they did, I think special effects would be exposed not to mention some of the set building fronts that were never meant for viewers to notice

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Are some episodes on the 1st season DVD's edited? The episodes that run around 26 minutes seem to be OK, but some run a little shorter and I wonder if those might be edited.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I have the full DVD set, since this was my favorite show when I was growing up. I still remember that headline in the newspaper which said "Superman kills himself." I was positively devastated. Fast-forward to today and I still think that George Reeves was murdered. Suicide in his case just didn't make any sense to me, as well as many others. He will always be one of my TV/movie heroes. It was a great show for its time!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bill,

We will never know for sure how George Reeves died. For many years one of his costars Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen) believed he was killed, but later said that he believed George took his own life.
Most people said in the days leading up to his death, George was in an upbeat mood and preparing to play the man of steel once again for the 1959-60 season.
However, he had recently been in an automobile accident and was taking a pain killer for his injuries. That in combination with some alcohol he consumed before going to bed that night, might have dulled his sense of reasoning leading him to “play” with his gun and accidentally shoot himself.
The investigation into his death was poorly handled by the LAPD.

John

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bill,

We will never know for sure how George Reeves died. For many years one of his costars Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen) believed he was killed, but later said that he believed George took his own life.
Most people said in the days leading up to his death, George was in an upbeat mood and preparing to play the man of steel once again for the 1959-60 season.
However, he had recently been in an automobile accident and was taking a pain killer for his injuries. That in combination with some alcohol he consumed before going to bed that night, might have dulled his sense of reasoning leading him to “play” with his gun and accidentally shoot himself.

John

There was also suspicion around Eddie Mannix and his wife but nothing was ever proven against them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Reading everything about the event and watching films (documentaries plus Hollywoodland) has convinced me that Leonore Lemon killed him. Years later in a drunken moment, she even confessed that she did it because George was leaving her.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Reading everything about the event and watching films (documentaries plus Hollywoodland) has convinced me that Leonore Lemon killed him. Years later in a drunken moment, she even confessed that she did it because George was leaving her.
My mom has always swore up and down that he didn't kill himself.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've had this image in my computer for quite some time. The clarity caught my attention the first time I saw it.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if a remastered edition could look this good?

George_Reeves_Superman.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Bill,

John
Thought Mr. Larsen always believed George took his own life. The GREAT Grossman book stated the cast was on the set getting ready to film new episodes and George was in good spirits - he was financially secure. Will always feel he was murdered just by his association with Mannix's wife. Someone should do a deep dive into Mannix - - MGM's goon and fixer. He was the guy that grabbed Paul Berns (Jean Harlow's husband) suicide note from the scene to protect Harlow and MGM.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Robert,

I personally spoke to Jack Larsen several years ago and he told me that initially, he thought Reeves was killed. He later
changed his mind after further thought.

John

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching the original Unsolved Mysteries (on YouTube). The Reeves story came up - based on the episode, I believe he was killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks