What's new

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ll be watching the DecadesTV binge this weekend too, just have it on while doing my weekend home tasks. I have the series on DVD too, but have not gotten back into all the episodes yet. I also loved this show as a kid.

In looking at the Decades Binge page, the schedule for the weekend shows they are starting with the 21’st episode. The Human Bomb. On the last time they did the binge, they started with the first episode. I guess they decided to curate the epsiodes differently this time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The DecadesTV Adventures of Superman binge is halfway over now and I’ve been watching it on and off. It’s been about 5 years since I last watched the last binge. At the time of the last binge, I bought the series on DVD. Those are nice sets. And I’ve watched the first 2 seasons from the DVD sets.

Its been a while as I used to watch this series as a kid and now as I’m older, it’s amazing to rewatch it because of the simplistic and campy nature of the middle years. I do remember the cooky episodes with the crazy professors and their inventions. I’d sort of forgotten the amount of gangsters and thugs who populated the series as the bad guys. I thought the first couple of seasons were trying to be a little more serious.

I was also surprised to see some of the actors show up as guest stars. Claude Akins, Paul Burke, and Jeff Corey. These are actors I associate more with the 1960’s and 70’s. I guess they got started in the 50’s. Some other actors show up on Star Trek, such as Paul Fix as another thug and a young Anthony Caruso.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I remember in the 50's, the next day, after watching an episode I of SUPERMAN, putting on my red rain boots, tying a towel around my neck and jumping off our wall pretending to fly and being screamed by my grandma that I was going to kill myself.

Isn't it funny how you can remember some things from childhood and not others. I guess thinking I was SUPERMAN had a big effect on me.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nelson,

I feel the b/w episodes were the best of the series. Although there are a few gems among the color episodes, most of them are more childish and just plain silly.

John
You can blame that on Kellogg's who began sponsoring the show for seasons 3-6. Their demands that the violence be toned down and the tone lightened to make it more acceptable for a kiddie audience resulted in a much more juvenile show. Didn't impact the ratings at all, but the earlier shows certainly are more gripping for an adult to watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool comments guys. I also remember as a very young kid wishing I could fly at the school playground.

Watching the show now, yes, Matt I can see also more emphasis in the later seasons to appeal to children with stories about children and helping them. It’s not a bad thing and the intention was noble. ( while I read that George Reeves took his role model position seriously after the series became a hit, I can imagine his dissatisfaction with not getting more serious roles might have played into his mindset.)

Its interesting to look back at not only this show, but to think back to what it was like in the day to watch this. I don’t know what the average TV most people had in 1953 and well into the 1950’s, but I guess around 19” screen at the high end and smaller and at lower resolution. Watching Superman now must look pretty amazing verses what it was like then. I was watching on a 50 and 65” screen!

Speaking of Kellogg’s, I was reading the wikis about the series and I did see they were a sponsor. I’ll have a look for the extras of the Kellogg’s commercials.

I was also inspired to revisit Christopher Reeve Superman this weekend. And there is a couple of things I never realized. One, the character of Otis has to been influenced by the George Reeves series as it had so many thugs, particularly played by Ben Welden who were similar to Otis. Otis had to have been modeled on those thugs! Of course, I realized the use of words like “swell” and “golly” had to be an homage to the series.

And I noticed the Cheerios product placement at the Kent farmhouse scene. It would have been a nice homage to see a box of Kellogg’s instead. But I imagine General Mills won the opportunity to have their product shown in the film.

I’ve been a Superman fan for most of of my life, but not a super fan. I guess more casual. I never read the comics and so I’m only into the character from the TV show and Christopher Reeve films. I do own the 2011 Anthology set and I was really glad it included the Expanded version of first film. I do have the recently released TV cut blu ray and I have yet to sit and watch that. I have seen it on TV, but not recently. And I did see the Donner cut of Superman II. Not sure I like that because of the mateirals Donner had to use to assemble that cut. It’s too bad he wasn’t allowed to finish that film as he intended. I’m also glad the set has the Fleischer animated Superman shorts. I’ve seen a few and those are great. Great artwork.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We had a 19" BW when I was a kid - watched everything on it until the late 60s when dad purchased a 19" color set (a Heathkit that I helped assemble).

Superman was just GREAT! I'd get up early (~5:30) on Saturday, turn on the TV, turn the sound down (mom complained about that 1000 cycle tone if I didn't), and watch the test pattern while eating a bowl of cereal waiting for sign on and Superman. She could never understand why she had to drag me out of bed during the week but I was "up with the chickens" on Saturday - and without an alarm clock.

I read *All* of the Superman comics: Action!, Superman, Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, World's Finest, and any other they chose to publish. And like many other kids, did the towel around the neck bit.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You can blame that on Kellogg's who began sponsoring the show for seasons 3-6. Their demands that the violence be toned down and the tone lightened to make it more acceptable for a kiddie audience resulted in a much more juvenile show. Didn't impact the ratings at all, but the earlier shows certainly are more gripping for an adult to watch.
Thought Kelloggs was sponsor from on from day one, thought the change in tone was from Ellsworth taking over from Maxwell?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The first subscriptions I ever had delivered to my door were the Superman family of comic books (including Superboy and Adventure which weren't mentioned in Howie's listing above). I was simply going to the dime store to buy them all every month, and my mom told me about this wonderful thing called subscriptions: cheaper than buying them at the store, too, to order by the year! Added MAD Magazine to my group of subscriptions once I became old enough to understand some of its satire.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I read *All* of the Superman comics: Action!, Superman, Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, World's Finest, and any other they chose to publish. And like many other kids, did the towel around the neck bit.
For your childhood memories Howie!​

Action Comics-258a.jpg Action Comics-270a.jpg Action Comics-271a.jpg Action Comics-290a.jpg Action Comics-300a.jpg Justice League Of America-10a.jpg Superman Annual-4a.jpg Superman-143.jpg Superman-145a.jpg Superman-149a.jpg Superman-170a.jpg Superman's Pal, JImmy Olsen-24a.jpg Superman's Pal, JImmy Olsen-42a.jpg Superman's Pal, JImmy Olsen-46a.jpg Superman's Pal, JImmy Olsen-47a.jpg World's Finest Comics-94a.jpg World's Finest Comics-113a.jpg World's Finest Comics-116a.jpg World's Finest Comics-128a.jpg World's Finest Comics-134a.jpg

Just a smidgen from my private collection.​

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Quite impressive, Neal. I never bought comics myself, I had an older brother (by 4 1/2 years) that did so I just read his collection. Most of his were of the 12 cent and 25 cent variety. Unfortunately, it fell pray to the go to college and come home to find mom has cleaned house and given away your collection syndrome.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Quite impressive, Neal. I never bought comics myself, I had an older brother (by 4 1/2 years) that did so I just read his collection. Most of his were of the 12 cent and 25 cent variety. Unfortunately, it fell pray to the go to college and come home to find mom has cleaned house and given away your collection syndrome.
Thanks Brad. A common tale about the destiny of comic book collections. My childhood collection met a similar fate. But in the late 80's through current I rebuilt it. I love comics of all genres.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neal, you sold those posters at auction? If I had those, I’m not sure I could part with them if I was a fan. That is an impressive collection of comics!

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I remember as a kid in the late 60's or early 70's my parents bought my brother and I some large size compilation books of comic reprints. He got a super heroes origins and Buck Rogers, while I got Dick Tracy. I have no clue where the books went, but a few years back I picked up about six of the Complete Chester Gould's Dick Tracy books from the early 40's through early 50's. I enjoy looking back at them from time to time.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, you sold those posters at auction? If I had those, I’m not sure I could part with them if I was a fan. That is an impressive collection of comics!
Unfortunately yes Nelson. As a collector sometimes you realize you just cannot keep everything. The ones I posted weren't the best of my Reeve's collection. Also comics have long since performed better than posters particularly in recent years and there were some big ticket books I just had to have.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I remember as a kid in the late 60's or early 70's my parents bought my brother and I some large size compilation books of comic reprints. He got a super heroes origins and Buck Rogers, while I got Dick Tracy. I have no clue where the books went, but a few years back I picked up about six of the Complete Chester Gould's Dick Tracy books from the early 40's through early 50's. I enjoy looking back at them from time to time.
It's nice to have reprints and reading copies so they can still be enjoyed without fear of damaging them. With certification once they are in the holders you can kiss that goodbye. All my expensive books went that route.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately yes Nelson. As a collector sometimes you realize you just cannot keep everything. The ones I posted weren't the best of my Reeve's collection. Also comics have long since performed better than posters particularly in recent years and there were some big ticket books I just had to have.
Thanks Neil. Yeah, I can understand, you hold onto the ones that you value most and sell some to fund something else you really want.

About the sealed comics, makes me think of the money spent on a complete restoration of a vintage car. You think twice about driving it. :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Neil. Yeah, I can understand, you hold onto the ones that you value most and sell some to fund something else you really want.

About the sealed comics, makes me think of the money spent on a complete restoration of a vintage car. You think twice about driving it. :)
Ha ha good one Nelson. Here's a couple I won't be driving. :)

Action Comics-108a.jpg
Action Comics-252a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenorlyrico
Recent bookmarks