What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Last October, 2023, we lost the beautiful Phyllis Coates. This past January 15th, 2024 would have been her 97th Birthday. Considering she only appeared in 24 of the 104 episodes of Adventures Of Superman, Ms. Coates certainly made her mark as the first Lois Lane opposite George Reeves. Besides being gorgeous as was the Lois Lane of the comic books, her presence was strong, independent and liberated, especially for the 1950’s. She brought believability to a role that had to be difficult to do so. Originally posted at Tributes. (Please note: Due to the terribly inconsistent video quality of this release images in this photo commentary have been heavily modified and inserted at the Thumb-Size to facilitate the best possible appearance.)

Adventures of Superman (1952-1958)

S01E25 The Unknown People: Part I (Jul.10.1954)
S01E26 The Unknown People: Part II (Jul.17.1954)

Opening Theme

176196-69494c2e40f52d3b6c217e497404db6b.jpg

176197-b74a3c8511037837fa072ab393d41413.jpg

One of my very favorite episodes of Adventures Of Superman and clearly one of the most popular was the 25th and 26th Episodes of the First Season, a Two-Part fantasy adventure entitled The Unknown People (1954). Three years earlier it first appeared in movie theaters as the feature film entitled, Superman and the Mole-Men (1951). It contained a science fiction element that was common in the Superrman comic books but somewhat rare for the television series. This production was fresh, brand new, being the very first time George Reeves and Phylis Coates made history portraying their roles as Superman (Clark Kent) and Lois Lane respectively. It was also the final appearance for Phylis Coates in the television series.

Directed by
Lee Sholem
Writing Credits
Whitney Ellsworth Teleplay
Robert Maxwell Teleplay

Stars
George ReevesSuperman / Clark Kent
Phyllis Coates .. Lois Lane
Jeff CoreyLuke Benson
Walter ReedBill Corrigan
J. Farrell MacDonaldPop Shannon
Jack NarzNarrator
Stanley AndrewsThe Sheriff
John T. BamburyMole-Man #2
Stephen CarrEddie
Billy CurtisMole-Man #1
Hal K. DawsonChuck Weber
Margia DeanMother
Byron FoulgerJeff Reagan
Harry HarveyDoc Saunders
Bill KennedyAnnouncer
Jerry MarenMole-Man #3
Irene MartinMrs. Pomfrey
John PhillipsMatt
Johnny RoventiniMole-Man #4
Ray WalkerJohn Craig
Beverly WashburnLittle Girl
Phil WarrenDeputy Jim

Produced by
Whitney Ellsworth Associate Producer
Bernard Luber Producer
Robert Maxwell Producer
Barney A. Sarecky Associate Producer
Cinematography by
Clark Ramsey
Editing by
Albrecht Joseph
Casting By
Harold Chiles
Art Direction by
Ernst Fegté
Makeup Department
Harry Thomas Makeup Artist
Production Management
Barney A. Sarecky Production Manager
Second Unit Director or Assistant Director
Arthur Hammond Assistant Director
Art Department
George Bahr Props
Sound Department
Barton Hayes
Harry Smith
Special Effects by
Daniel Hays
Visual Effects by
Ray Mercer
Jack Rabin
Stunts
George Fisher
Camera and Electrical Department
Clark Ramsey
Costume and Wardrobe Department
Izzy Berne
Music Department
Leon Klatzkin
Script and Continuity Department
Winnie Rich
Stephen Carr
Mary Chaffee
Whitney Ellsworth
Robert Maxwell
Additional Crew
Stephen Carr
Mort Weisinger
Whitney Ellsworth
Robert Maxwell

176198-962f3a1f83a373a354460dfdaa338447.jpg

Clark Kent (George Reeves) and Lois Lane (Phyllis Coates) arrive in Silsby to do a feature story on the world’s deepest oil well however Pop Shannon informs them that Bill Corrigan gave the order to shut the well down. “That’s just ducky” says Lois. Clark still thinks there’s a story. Corrigan is tight-lipped as to why.

Clark Kent: Mr. Corrigan would you mind answering just one question?
Corrigan: Oh what is it?
Clark Kent: How far down did you get before you stopped drilling?
Corrigan: Thirty-two thousand-seven-hundred and forty-two feet
Clark Kent: Thirty-two thousand, that’s more than 6 miles down.
Lois Lane: Good heavens practically to the center of the earth!
Corrigan: Uhh not quite but it’s deeper than man’s ever gone before.
Clark Kent: Do you mind if I get a few shots?
Corrigan: Naw go ahead.
Mr. Grey: I’m awfully sorry about this Mr. Kent but you see how it is. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.We’ll put you folks up at the hotel in Silsby for the night, company’s expense of course. I’m really sorry you came all this way without getting a story.
Clark Kent: I’m not so sure we won’t get a story.

176199-357a4a7ebe63250a85dc247c28e9e5ed.jpg

176200-9a81596e715ff3f8773390c08e1a34cb.jpg

176201-8b2f2ae37eb514388bb654b8f8dbfe20.jpg

176202-3bb9470c1ece83b1c8f65cdc03333b8c.jpg

176203-1e3dc57459b529ef38770148cf84767c.jpg

Creatures, Molemen from beneath the Earth suddenly appear just as Lois and Clark continue snooping for a story. They discover Pop Shannon dead. “He was an old man he had a heart attack it’s as simple as that”, says Lois. “I don’t know?", says Clark.

While calling for help, Lois sees the creatures.

176204-ca58b35d7f2c714ebc2245064c800242.jpg

176205-36409843cf5f9ff43d38196ea3182e2b.jpg

176206-a534a5bc073ff808c2db6e1e60eaa66b.jpg

Lois Lane

Corrigan arrives and finally gives Kent the story he’d been waiting for.

Corrigan: Kent you’re a newspaperman. You want a story. Well I can give you one that’s so big, so fantastic that you wouldn’t dare print it!
Kent: Whatever you can prove I’ll print.

He explains why he shut down the well.

Corrigan: At 32,600 feet the drill broke through.
Kent: Broke through what?
Corrigan: Well it was hanging in mid air as though we’d gone through the last solid layer of the Earth and after that, nothing! Just empty space.
Kent: You mean the center of the Earth is hollow?
Corrigan: Is there any other explanation? Well anyway when I got the drill head up it had sort of a funny look to it.
Kent: What do you mean funny?
Corrigan: Well I don’t know it didn’t look right. So just for luck why I scrapped it and put the stuff in a microscope. Here take a look.
Kent: What are they?
Corrigan: Well I don’t know, but whatever they are, they’re alive!
Kent: I thought that all life ceased below the first rock level.
Corrigan: Yeah so did evderyone else, but these things were alive six miles down.
Kent: Then it’s possible there could be other forms of life down there more highly developed.
Corrigan: Maybe another civilization, but here’s the point. We drilled a hole right down to the hollow center of the Earth so whatever is down the could come up.
Kent: And you think something came out of that hole tonight?
Corrigan: Well I don’t know but those creatures that Miss Lane said she saw and Pop being scared to death, well I put a metal cap on the drill case.
Kent: The cap was off when I got there.

Knowing that anything coming from that deep down in the Earth is radioactive, Corrigan and Kent realize there’s no time to waste. The creatures encounter a child. Curious, they begin playing a game by rolling a ball to her.

176207-78c7933898dd9e70222d8f2027385ed0.jpg

Despite Kent’s warnings local town thug Luke Benson (Jeff Corey) decides to take things into his own hands and assembles a mob intent on exterminating the creatures.

Benson: Pop Shannon maybe don’t mean nothing and Jeff Reagon is old enough to take care of himself, but when these creatures come after a little kid I aim to do something about it!

176190-30dc2af81184e5e043915b7d743c7cdf.jpg

176191-e1935eea2ed3b788ec46bb5429e7ecb9.jpg

176192-3ef770a09d688a30e0ad85aba5407436.jpg

176193-29ffd4848da636e4a63a6433bc725859.jpg

176194-af75f7da03f9ccaacdf9a54a01b546ff.jpg

176195-5fb090832cc25efd2b09955e60b4cc98.jpg

This is a job for Superman!

176343-7f0d6dfad9e37187034343bf14eb7de4.jpg

176344-500579b9c35950d592577856730df2be.jpg

176345-8fd43eb7f0963774aad354c3b60a1e53.jpg

There’s Only One Person Who Can Handle This …

At the damn on the railroad tressle Benson’s thugs shoots down one of the creatures. Superman catches it before plummiting into the water and contaminating the reservoir.

Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-134.jpg

Once again Benson’s gang has the other creature trapped in an old wooden shed which they set ablaze but it’s able to escape. At the Sheriff’s office, after discovering Superman’s rescue, Benson threatens to “string up” the creature who is being operated on at the hospital.

Inside the hospital Lois suspects Clark.

Clark Kent: There goes a young man with Courage.
Lois Lane: WelI wish I could say the same thing for you.
Clark Kent: You know Lois one of these fine days …
Lois Lane: One of these fine days what?
Clark Kent: Nevermind. C’mon I’ve gotta find Corey.
Lois Lane: You always do that, start to say something then abruptly change your mind.
Clark Kent: I do?
Lois Lane: What are you afraid of? What are you hiding?
Clark Kent: Hiding?
Lois Lane: Well you give the impression you’re leading a, a double life.
Clark Kent: Really?
Lois Lane: Yes and I’m not the only one who thinks so.

Outside the hospital a showdown between Superman (and Lois) vs. Benson’s mob!

Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-182.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-193.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-195.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-197.jpg

Superman vs. Benson’s Mob

The two molemen return with a deadly weapon that appears to look like a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner.

Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-238.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-241.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-246.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-250.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-252.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-260.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-282.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-290.jpg

The Weapon

The greatest visual of this entire two-part episode is that of Superman as he helps carry the injured moleman, and walks side by side with the others as they return to the center of the Earth.

Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-292.jpg
Adventures of Superman S01E25 The Unknown People Part I (Jul.10.1954)-297.jpg

Lois Lane: It’s almost as if they were saying, you live your lives, and we’ll live ours.
Superman: [Nods yes.]

176350-cf1bc31ca202e2c93df960c42db46b8f.jpg

176351-955cd15c0f85b33c304134c81a763381.jpg

You can stream it here.

Phyllis Coates Related Media

Invasion U. S. A. (1952)
Stars Gerald Mohr Peggie Castle Dan O'Herlihy

A group of people at a bar witness the unfolding events of a Soviet invasion of the USA.

A mysterious masked rider and his gang are murdering ranchers and robbing stages. Government Agent Johnny Mack Brown has been called in to help the Sheriff. Capturing a henchman he learns of everyone involved except the boss, the masked rider. He eventually suspects the Wells Fargo Agent and has a plan that will trick him into a confession.

The daughter of a medical missionary in Africa carries on her father's work after he dies. She befriends two adventurers prospecting for uranium, and before long she finds herself in danger from crooks trying to get the uranium for themselves and a local witch doctor who sees her as a threat to his power.

An American anthology series, with a new episode and different actors and actresses each week. Hosted by Ronald Reagan, the series was sponsored by General Electric's Department of Public Relations.

Calvin is an unemployed comedian who tries to make some easy money in a gold mine venture, which leads to the usual sitcom complications One of the reasons Phyllis Coates turned down the second season of the Superman TV series as the feisty and beautiful reporter Lois Lane is partially due to this TV pilot. She was told that this pilot would sell. It didn’t, and it opened the way for Noel Neil to be Lois Lane in the classic Superman television show that lasted six seasons. This rare sit-com stars Jack Carson, Phyllis Coates, Allen Jenkins and Mabel Albertson. Transferred from 16mm b-w film. (Moviecraft Inc.)

Bart Matthews defends the poor and others who cannot afford an attorney. All episodes are based on actual cases from across the country.

During a raid on the Carter family still, a warden is shot and killed. Jesse Carter, fresh home from the service, is arrested for the killing.

Whimsical situation comedy involving a child psychologist and his family.

Dr. Wilson's plans to go fishing with Fred Allen are canceled when he's drafted to umpire his son's baseball game.

This show featured four rotating stars, Charles Boyer, David Niven, Ida Lupino, and Dick Powell in individual episodes consisting of everything from comedy to drama.

Episode of the popular 1950s anthology series. This episode stars Teresa Wright and is about a very lonely woman who meets a man. Aired 1 March 1956 on CBS at 9:30PM, aired against "Ford Television Theatre" on NBC and "Down You Go" on ABC (DuMont was barely broadcasting by this point. In NYC, its station showed wrestling during that slot). This copy uses the "Star Performance" opening titles. There were also repeats under the "Golden Playhouse" title.

Alice neglects her housework because she is enthralled with the long-haired piano player, Gregor Flatsorsharpsky, next door. Joe buys a piano, and the accompanying free lessons, and sets out to impress Alice. Alice is vastly unimpressed.

An unglamorized look at the settling of the American West with pioneers dealing with the elements, beset with nefarious characters and other problems that test their fortitude.

King Of The Dakotas (Unknown Episode)
Stars Tom Tryon Phyllis Coates Alan Hale Jr.

King Of The Dakotas western TV series episode starring Tom Tryon, Phyllis Coates, Alan Hale Jr., Dabbs Greer, Raymond Bailey, Paul Langton and Dennis Moore. Directed by Worthington Miner. This is among the rarest of western TV show episodes. In this episode The Marquis de Mores along with his wife Medora and other rich business men plan to dominate the cattle industry and create an empire out of the Dakota Badlands in the late 1800s. (WesternsOnTheWeb)

Joe McDaokes Richard L. Bare Phyllis Coates Q&A At The Cinecon (2012)

Phyllis Coates (1927-2023) Memorial Video

Phyllis Coates ... In Memory ... Forever Remembered

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No one connected with The Adventures of Superman thought it was going to be a hit; some thought it would never even make it to air. By the time the first season was telecast (almost two years after filming) and had become a television sensation, Phyllis Coates had moved on to other endeavors and couldn't get out of the contracts to film more episodes. Thus, Noel Neill, already familiar with playing the part, was cast instead.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
No one connected with The Adventures of Superman thought it was going to be a hit; some thought it would never even make it to air. By the time the first season was telecast (almost two years after filming) and had become a television sensation, Phyllis Coates had moved on to other endeavors and couldn't get out of the contracts to film more episodes. Thus, Noel Neill, already familiar with playing the part, was cast instead.
Coates was in more films and TV shows than I thought. Wonderful tribute.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Coates was in more films and TV shows than I thought. Wonderful tribute.
I own copies of more than a few things Coates was in... a couple of of my favorites are the serials Panther Girl of the Jungle (1955) and Jungle Drums of Africa (1953) which also featured Clayton Moore (The Lone Ranger). It was *always* a pleasure to have her pop up in something. She played Lois' mother in S1E21 of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. That was neat but a shame that she didn't appear in that role going forward (Beverly Garland took it over).

She had a fun comment on the differences in costuming between *her* version of Lois and Hatcher's version:
I saw Teri in this beautiful dress with her boobs pushed up and I thought, "That's Lois Lane?!?!" I had a suit up to my collarbone. I felt like a horse with a bit in my mouth.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't know Superman had overseas adventures on the show (Africa?). Seemed like he was usually somewhere around Metropolis.
Of course he did! There were several set in Africa, both in the black and white and color seasons. They also went to Paris, London, and a couple of tropical islands.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Of course he did! There were several set in Africa, both in the black and white and color seasons. They also went to Paris, London, and a couple of tropical islands.
Huh, I guess I didn't watch that many episodes then. Only saw B&W episodes, and as far as I can recall, they were focused on battling generic gangsters in and around Metropolis. Usually involving Lois or someone else getting kidnapped and needing rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks