What's new

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
0a9c98469932d6ec299acb196529d8bc--father-knows-best-house-floor-plans.jpg

That's the Hazel house and can be seen I think in some Stooges shorts also in Movie Serials
338c57ec3c71acdf9bbe242a6f8e8ee6--father-knows-best-i-dream-of-jeannie.jpg

Blondie house and then FKB and Mr Wilsons house in Dennis The Menace later I Dream Of Jeanie

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
And if I'm not mistaken, The Three Stooges as well.

Once when I was there, facing the Dennis house to the right at the end of the street, were some multiple story buildings that looked like the ones they used in the census takers short, and I also recognized the saloon on western street as the one they used.

Woo woo woo woo...It soooitinly made my day.

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
A couple of comic book anecdotes. The first Superman related, the second not.

Some of the most amusing reads are in the letters pages of many old comic books.
This was from the Letter’s Page of Jimmy Olsen #35 March 1959. I tried to photograph it but I feared cracking the book open might cause it damage.

Dear Editor,
If Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are such crack
reporters why can’t they tell that Clark Kent is
Superman when he takes his glasses off in the
DAILY PLANET office? After all his face is the same
as SUPERMAN’S. —— Richard Klein Bronx N.Y.

We’d venture to say that Lois and Jimmy aren’t
as observant as you are. Meanwhile please don’t
breathe a word about your suspicions to a soul or
you'll put us out of business. —— Editor

This video segment is from Naked City Season 4 Episode 1 Hold for Gloria Christmas with Burgess Meredith. Look closely at what's hanging up on the newsstand.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You can blame that on Kellogg's who began sponsoring the show for seasons 3-6. Their demands that the violence be toned down and the tone lightened to make it more acceptable for a kiddie audience resulted in a much more juvenile show. Didn't impact the ratings at all, but the earlier shows certainly are more gripping for an adult to watch.

Thought Kelloggs was sponsor from on from day one, thought the change in tone was from Ellsworth taking over from Maxwell?

You're both right. While Kellogg's WAS the sponsor from the premiere episode, as they had been on radio, the first season was produced without their input because they didn't commit to the sponsorship until after the first season was completely finished shooting. There was quite a lag between the end of filming and when those episodes started airing. Kellogg's was appalled by the violence and dark themes in the first season (especially since comic books in general were just coming under fire from parents groups, leading to the eventual adoption of the "Comics Code") but didn't want to miss the opportunity as they wisely smelled a winner. They took sponsorship but demanded (and got) content control from Season 2 onward. Maxwell left at the end of year one as a result. IMO, the first season remains the finest of the entire series. In fact, season 1 is the only one I actually bought.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
A couple of comic book anecdotes. The first Superman related, the second not.

Some of the most amusing reads are in the letters pages of many old comic books.
This was from the Letter’s Page of Jimmy Olsen #35 March 1959. I tried to photograph it but I feared cracking the book open might cause it damage.

Dear Editor,
If Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are such crack
reporters why can’t they tell that Clark Kent is
Superman when he takes his glasses off in the
DAILY PLANET office? After all his face is the same
as SUPERMAN’S. —— Richard Klein Bronx N.Y.

We’d venture to say that Lois and Jimmy aren’t
as observant as you are. Meanwhile please don’t
breathe a word about your suspicions to a soul or
you'll put us out of business. —— Editor

This video segment is from Naked City Season 4 Episode 1 Hold for Gloria Christmas with Burgess Meredith. Look closely at what's hanging up on the newsstand.

The comic book that was depicted in the Naked City segment above, Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages, sold for $3,600,000 on September 9th, 2021.​

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC NM+ 9.6.jpg

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I never collected comics as a kid, but did the next best thing. I was allowed to sit below the comic book rack at our drug store every Saturday morning, out of every ones way and read every comic that came out that they carried. I started doing that around 1958 until I went to 'Nam. :wub:

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
I never collected comics as a kid, but did the next best thing. I was allowed to sit below the comic book rack at our drug store every Saturday morning, out of every ones way and read every comic that came out that they carried. I started doing that around 1958 until I went to 'Nam. :wub:
Sweet story John. But alas, you didn't keep them did you?

Thank you Neal Rose for the time you took to post all those beautiful pictures!!!
You're very welcome and thank you for saying that John!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
One of the first "entertainment" books I ever bought as a little kid was this phenomenal reference that gives the entire history of the Fleischer cartoons, the movie serials, television show and all of the varied incarnations up until the mid 70's. I could never bear to part with it. Those were the golden days of "movie" books and you can see it's been well loved over the years, lol.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone is looking for a copy, make sure you get the original oversized softcover with glossy pages and not the mass market version released a year or so later as the mass market printdown is missing quite a bit of information and photos.

245662924_10226328562738831_6750807477811219005_n.jpg

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I started collecting every mag/book/whatever that had anything to with sci-fi/horror/action starting in 1971 when I got back from 'Nam. I sold everything that I collected, including that thick mag a few years ago. I must have read SERIAL to CEREAL many times from cover to cover it was so enjoyable.

Sky King

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Wow! How long ago did u meet John Hamilton's son? Did you speak with him about his dads long career?

RobertMG,

I met John Hamilton’s son (also named John) in August of 2014 at a Superman gathering in California. Jack Larson was also there and it was nice seeing the two of them reunite after 56 years.
John was very shy and never attended gatherings of this sort. He really had to be convinced to go by the host of this gathering, Jim Nolt. John was very touched by the admiration shown his dad at the meet. He didn’t have too much to say about his dad’s career as his dad died when he was young teenager, he was an only child and he didn’t have any other family members that could have passed on such info. John Jr. died in 2018.

John

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
RobertMG,

I met John Hamilton’s son (also named John) in August of 2014 at a Superman gathering in California. Jack Larson was also there and it was nice seeing the two of them reunite after 56 years.
John was very shy and never attended gatherings of this sort. He really had to be convinced to go by the host of this gathering, Jim Nolt. John was very touched by the admiration shown his dad at the meet. He didn’t have too much to say about his dad’s career as his dad died when he was young teenager, he was an only child and he didn’t have any other family members that could have passed on such info. John Jr. died in 2018.

John
Thank you John for the info - so sad that John Jr lost his dad when he was so young - his dad had been in so many films and thankfully thanks to the classic Adventures Of Superman will always be remembered - may John Jr RIP

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
One of the first "entertainment" books I ever bought as a little kid was this phenomenal reference that gives the entire history of the Fleischer cartoons, the movie serials, television show and all of the varied incarnations up until the mid 70's. I could never bear to part with it. Those were the golden days of "movie" books and you can see it's been well loved over the years, lol.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone is looking for a copy, make sure you get the original oversized softcover with glossy pages and not the mass market version released a year or so later as the mass market printdown is missing quite a bit of information and photos.

View attachment 115941
GREAT BOOK!!!! The best about Superman!

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose

View attachment 115941
Hi Will,

Never saw this before and I'd like to own a copy. There sure are a lot of these listed on eBay, but I'm not sure which one is the original oversized softcover. Any other telltale differences? Thanks!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
There sure are a lot of these listed on eBay, but I'm not sure which one is the original oversized softcover. Any other telltale differences? Thanks!

Can you ask the sellers any questions regarding the items? The original 1976 softcover version measures 8" x 11" and should be a length of 191 pages and weigh about a pound. The mass market version was released in about 1978 (I want to say it was reissued as a tie-in with the movie) and is a lot smaller but a telltale sign is that it has far more than 191 pages (but still manages to drop a lot of the appendices, the episode guide and photos) and it's not glossy paper. The original has a 1976 cover price of $3.95 (I don't know if that changed with reprints or not?)

The original should have the cover I posted, I don't believe it was altered until the second version.

Good luck, it's a great source!

EDIT: Looking at the ebay links (Which I should have just done from the very beginning), there IS an easy tell. The covers with the Superman cartoon NEXT to the logo and no writing under the photo look to be the orginals and the narrower covers with the cartoon moved OVER the top of the logo and writing under the picture look to be the second, mass market printing.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
Can you ask the sellers any questions regarding the items? The original 1976 softcover version measures 8" x 11" and should be a length of 191 pages and weigh about a pound. The mass market version was released in about 1978 (I want to say it was reissued as a tie-in with the movie) and is a lot smaller but a telltale sign is that it has far more than 191 pages (but still manages to drop a lot of the appendices, the episode guide and photos) and it's not glossy paper. The original has a 1976 cover price of $3.95 (I don't know if that changed with reprints or not?)

The original should have the cover I posted, I don't believe it was altered until the second version.

Good luck, it's a great source!

EDIT: Looking at the ebay links (Which I should have just done from the very beginning), there IS an easy tell. The covers with the Superman cartoon NEXT to the logo and no writing under the photo look to be the orginals and the narrower covers with the cartoon moved OVER the top of the logo and writing under the picture look to be the second, mass market printing.
Ok great. Your additional EDIT made it easy. Some of these sellers are asking stupid money for these. I usually do well with the Best Offer format. I like sellers who make a nice presentation with multiple images like this guy. Perfect feedback too. I'll make him a lowball offer and see if he counters. Thanks very much!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Ok great. Your additional EDIT made it easy. Some of these sellers are asking stupid money for these. I usually do well with the Best Offer format. I like sellers who make a nice presentation with multiple images like this guy. Perfect feedback too. I'll make him a lowball offer and see if he counters. Thanks very much!

That's definitely the one! It's funny, I went to look at the "printing page" and mine is identical. As an aside, I find it odd that it doesn't mention First Printing yet there isn't any mention of WHAT printing it actually is, lol. I have no idea what printing I even have and there's no ISBN listed anywhere on the book. Popular Library must have been a bunch of rebels!

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
That's definitely the one! It's funny, I went to look at the "printing page" and mine is identical. As an aside, I find it odd that it doesn't mention First Printing yet there isn't any mention of WHAT printing it actually is, lol. I have no idea what printing I even have and there's no ISBN listed anywhere on the book. Popular Library must have been a bunch of rebels!
Badaboom! My offer was auto-declined. But I can be very patient. I'll get this for about $12 bucks from someone somewhere out there in eBay land!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neal, it was great of you to post all those great comic covers! You have a real passion for it! That’s great.

Last night I watched a couple of the season 1 episodes that were not shown over the weekend binge. The Stolen Costume and Runaway Robot. plus the extra features, Noel Neill and Stamp Day for Superman on the second season set.

I did listen to the audio commentary from Gary Grossman on the Stolen Costume episode and learned of his book From Serial to Cereal. So that’s pretty cool the author of that book contributed to the extras on the Superman series set. I might have to find a copy of that book too.

I might have to watch another episode. The DVDs look better then the episodes broadcast too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks