What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s probably a “fair use” argument to be made where they may not have needed permission to show it.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
All bets were off by the mid-70s but in the 50s and 60s, most of their programs were broadcast from 35 mm.

In the case of Star Trek and Batman, the 35mm NY network prints were sent over by NBC and ABC respectively as soon as they got the license.
What would you think the condition of the color negs would be in today Bob? Do you know what type film was used Eastman? We all now they sealed the negs in the 50's and waited till color took hold before breaking them out. I was in WPIX's vault about 5 years ago and they had tapes everywhere I actually got to hold the tape for The Yule Log and one of The Honeymooners episodes - they still had somewhere their copy of "It's A Wonderful Life" then I got to stand in the area that was Officer Joe's Studio!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the movie was about Superman, I’d say yes. But it’s a movie about the death of George Reeves, who just so happened to play Superman, and I think fair use would allow the brief usage of the logo in that specific context. That’s an argument for lawyers but I think there’s a reasonable case to be made.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Warners doesn't own George Reeves' story so anyone could do what they want with that. I'm pretty sure that the movie didn't get use the Superman logo (which Warners does own).
And at the time Reeves contract had probably expired has anyone ever verified he had re-upped before he passed away? And at the time Warners did not own the property it was National Periodical (in regards to another post) One thing I do not get is the Grossman book says National bought out Reeves estate?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And at the time Reeves contract had probably expired has anyone ever verified he had re-upped before he passed away? And at the time Warners did not own the property it was National Periodical (in regards to another post) One thing I do not get is the Grossman book says National bought out Reeves estate?
According to Jack Larson, contracts had been signed for another season of 13 episodes with George set to direct several of them as well as starring as Clark/Superman. Pierre Watkin had also been signed to play Perry White since John Hamilton died after season six was in the can.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
According to Jack Larson, contracts had been signed for another season of 13 episodes with George set to direct several of them as well as starring as Clark/Superman. Pierre Watkin had also been signed to play Perry White since John Hamilton died after season six was in the can.
Interestingly, Pierre Watkin himself died in February 1960, so he wouldn't have had very long to play Perry White, either.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
RobertMG,

With all the tapes that WPIX erased or tossed, you’d think that in that mass of videotape, there would be one or two of their kiddie shows saved. So much NY TV history lost. Same goes for WNEW and WOR.
Lucky you, standing in Officer Joe’s studio.

John

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
RobertMG,

With all the tapes that WPIX erased or tossed, you’d think that in that mass of videotape, there would be one or two of their kiddie shows saved. So much NY TV history lost. Same goes for WNEW and WOR.
Lucky you, standing in Officer Joe’s studio.

John
They had tons of film - 16mm from the 1950's-60's from the News stories that WPIX would send out their crews - oh my the news they must have on the film - my contact wanted to get the Telecine at the station so they could transfer it to video. I told them they could air a weekly show featuring the footage.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
They had tons of film - 16mm from the 1950's-60's from the News stories that WPIX would send out their crews - oh my the news they must have on the film - my contact wanted to get the Telecine at the station so they could transfer it to video. I told them they could air a weekly show featuring the footage.
Quite a bit of 16mm prints for sale https://www.ebay.com/itm/143709761520

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The black and white first season prices are really high! https://www.ebay.com/itm/133463748232?hash=item1f130f2e88:g:4aoAAOSwlude-W8t

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Man, I used to collect 16mm film prints about 10 years ago and if you weren't picky about the subject, you could get a nice piece of broadcast history for not a lot of money. Some prints are still really reasonable. I may get back into it some day.

As for AoS, I actually like the quality of most of the prints. The color is very vibrant and deep in a very 50's Technicolor way. And since I used to collect 16mm syndie prints, the episodes mastered form those on the DVDs don't bother me at all. I have this show because it represents my childhood and a long gone era, not because it's a masterpiece of television. And for what it is, the representation is fine with me. I'll take how this show was presented is over how VEI and Mill Creek do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks