What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the movie was about Superman, I’d say yes. But it’s a movie about the death of George Reeves, who just so happened to play Superman, and I think fair use would allow the brief usage of the logo in that specific context. That’s an argument for lawyers but I think there’s a reasonable case to be made.

My interpretation of HollywoodLand is that it stops just short of suggesting that Eddie Mannix was a bad guy who could have ordered Reeves Killed but never would have actually done it himself .. I didnt like the Simo Composite Character because there is No such person to base him on

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember enjoying the film and particularly Affleck’s performance when I saw it, but after more than a decade I have to admit I can’t remember any of the details. Maybe it’s time to see it again one of these days.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
You're both right. While Kellogg's WAS the sponsor from the premiere episode, as they had been on radio, the first season was produced without their input because they didn't commit to the sponsorship until after the first season was completely finished shooting. There was quite a lag between the end of filming and when those episodes started airing.
Yes for a while it looked like they would never get the series on the air. One thing no one has mentioned is that Superman Vs The Mole Men was actually movie made to test the waters (so to speak) as to whether the general public would accept a different person playing Superman. Kirk Allen had played the man of steel in the serials. When it was edited to be The Unknown People (parts 1 and 2) the music was replaced with the MUTEL needle-drops and cues by Herschel Burke Gilbert used in the television series instead of the original music used in the movie produced by Lippert Pictures, Inc. I was surprised they did not include the feature film on one of the DVD sets as a bonus feature. These days the feature film seems to be in the public domain as it has been issued on DVD by by Cheezy Flicks Ent. But the great thing about those first two seasons, the show was produced like the old B movies of the 40s, complete with the same basic supporting cast of villains, town sheriff's etc. Great character actors. Today the feature version is available for streaming on Amazon and other companies.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I would think tv prints of Adv of Superman would be 16mm not 35mm
They were 16 mm prints back in the 60s. At least some 35 mm material still exists. The B&W television series Riverboat was distributed to TV stations on 16mm. I believe it was Universal that used the original 35mm material to edit two episodes together into a TV movie to use in their movie packages. Eventually when television went all color they threw away the 35mm tv movie masters. All they have that remains is 16mm distribution prints. No original source material.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m pretty sure they did. It was also included as a bonus feature in the Superman movie box set that came out in 2006 around the same time the series was coming to disc.
They were 16 mm prints back in the 60s. At least some 35 mm material still exists. The B&W television series Riverboat was distributed to TV stations on 16mm. I believe it was Universal that used the original 35mm material to edit two episodes together into a TV movie to use in their movie packages. Eventually when television went all color they threw away the 35mm tv movie masters. All they have that remains is 16mm distribution prints. No original source material.
Wonder if the features they made from the series and that Fox distributed exists anywhere?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I’m pretty sure they did. It was also included as a bonus feature in the Superman movie box set that came out in 2006 around the same time the series was coming to disc.
I'd have to dig into my ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set to confirm, but the inclusion of "Superman And The Mole Men" as a bonus feature on that set correlates with my recall, as well.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bob,

I was told by several people in the know ( not that you’re not 😉) that many of the 35mm masters, especially the B/W ones were too damaged to be used for the DVD set. 16mm fine grain masters transferred to tape were used instead.
IMHO the B/W episodes look far from 35mm pristine.

John

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bob,

I guess we will never know for sure then.
I respect your knowledge in this area.
All I was told was that Warner created this DVD using the same videotape transfer from 16mm fine grain elements used for syndication back in the late ‘80’s early 90’s.

John

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I'd have to dig into my ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set to confirm, but the inclusion of "Superman Vs The Mole Men" as a bonus feature on that set correlates with my recall, as well.

I have it backed up to my iTunes library, so I either got it from season one or two which are both in storage, or in this case, dare I say, my fortress of storatude (sorry folks), but I'm pretty sure it was on season one.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I certainly wasn't there but that's not what I heard. They look like dated SD scans from 35mm to me.
It has been a long while since I last viewed them, but I don't recall noticing any tell tale signs of videotape sourcing from any of the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN episodes. The ragged looking "The Stolen Costume" episode that was sourced from a 16mm print, I do recall!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Bob,

I guess we will never know for sure then.
I respect your knowledge in this area.
All I was told was that Warner created this DVD using the same videotape transfer from 16mm fine grain elements used for syndication back in the late ‘80’s early 90’s.

John
I certainly wasn't there but that's not what I heard. They look like dated SD scans from 35mm to me.
Frustrating thing is they did put an effort into the releases with some nice bonus content. The series continues to air on H & I and I love when they do the Decades Binges so the studio is still raking in the moolah.

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
I think the dvd series is out of print. One disc of season 5/6 rotted about 2 years ago (after all it's Warner) picked up a replacement for 19.00, (different code #'s from known bad warner discs) now I see that set is going for high prices on amazon. Check that seasons disc to see if it still holds up. Don't remember episode, pretty sure it was a season 5 episode.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
RobertMG,

Warners really didn’t put much effort into this DVD set actually. It was generally done on the cheap.
Jack Larsen and Noel Neill did their commentary on this DVD for free because Warners refused to pay them. Can you believe it ??
Their love of the show was stronger than any monetary gain. How do I know this ? They personally told me.

John

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Seasons 1 thru 4 episodes of Adventures Of Superman display the episode title at the beginning, the seasons 5 and 6 episodes do not display the episode title. It doesn't negatively affect the episodes but I would prefer if seasons 5 and 6 also displayed the episode titles. There's just something missing without the episode title at the beginning, it isn't the same, I notice little things like that.

I also wonder if there is a scene edited or missing from the episode Superman Silver Mine because it runs a minute shorter compared to the other episodes.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
RobertMG,

Warners really didn’t put much effort into this DVD set actually. It was generally done on the cheap.
Jack Larsen and Noel Neill did their commentary on this DVD for free because Warners refused to pay them. Can you believe it ??
Their love of the show was stronger than any monetary gain. How do I know this ? They personally told me.

John
Yikes did not know that

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
RobertMG,

John
Same thing happened on the classic Father Knows Best two of the "kids" took part in the special features one did not because they were not to be paid. I suggested to SHOUT to have them sitting on director's chairs on the old Columbia Ranch in front of the house from the show,

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think the dvd series is out of print. One disc of season 5/6 rotted about 2 years ago (after all it's Warner) picked up a replacement for 19.00, (different code #'s from known bad warner discs) now I see that set is going for high prices on amazon. Check that seasons disc to see if it still holds up. Don't remember episode, pretty sure it was a season 5 episode.
Interesting region 2 season 1-4 $39.99 Walmart has season 1 15.99
1642466303702.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks