What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There wouldn’t be a 16mm fine grain. This was the standard lab workflow at the time of production.

1. 35mm camera negative, separate picture and optical track
2. 35mm Composite fine grain master positive
3. 16mm reduction picture and track negative
4. 16mm composite positive print for syndication

The video masters were done from number two, the composite fine grain master positives.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I’m pretty sure they did. It was also included as a bonus feature in the Superman movie box set that came out in 2006 around the same time the series was coming to disc.
I'd have to dig into my ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set to confirm, but the inclusion of "Superman And The Mole Men" as a bonus feature on that set correlates with my recall, as well.

CHEERS! :)
I have it backed up to my iTunes library, so I either got it from season one or two which are both in storage, or in this case, dare I say, my fortress of storatude (sorry folks), but I'm pretty sure it was on season one.
While I can't get a photo easily enough at the moment, I can confirm "Superman And The Mole Men" is indeed a bonus feature on disc 5 of the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set, which also includes the reedited 2 part season finale "The Unknown People" (Episodes 25 - 26). I'm actually kind of hazy on whether I viewed the original feature, or just the repurposed episodes. I also don't recall the music scores being different if I did.

Also included on the same disc are a Series retrospective; the 1940 two reel Technicolor short subject PONY EXPRESS DAYS, which features George Reeves as Bill Cody; and some Kellogg's commercial spots!

I'm thinking I may revisit these, soon! :)

CHEERS! (And "UP, UP, UP, AND AWAY!!") :)

Last edited:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
There wouldn’t be a 16mm fine grain. This was the standard lab workflow at the time of production.

1. 35mm camera negative, separate picture and optical track
2. 35mm Composite fine grain master positive
3. 16mm reduction picture and track negative
4. 16mm composite positive print for syndication

The video masters were done from number two, the composite fine grain master positives.

Bob,

Thanks for the detailed info on the process. I guess I wasn’t given the correct film processing details by a supposed “insider.”

John

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I can't get a photo easily enough at the moment, I can confirm "Superman And The Mole Men" is indeed a bonus feature on disc 5 of the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set, which also includes the reedited 2 part season finale "The Unknown People" (Episodes 25 - 26). I'm actually kind of hazy on whether I viewed the original feature, or just the repurposed episodes. I also don't recall the music scores being different if I did.

Also included on the same disc are a Series retrospective; the 1940 two reel Technicolor short subject PONY EXPRESS DAYS, which features George Reeves as Bill Cody; and some Kellogg's commercial spots!

I'm thinking I may revisit these, soon! :)

CHEERS! (And "UP, UP, UP, AND AWAY!!") :)
With the exception of SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951), I have viewed all of the Season 1, Disc 5 Bonus Features.

A few observations from this fresh viewing:
The PONY EXPRESS DAYS (1940) transfer, while acceptable for its time, isn't without a few momentary rough spots, and perhaps registry issues. This is a 2005 DVD release, which is important to bear in mind.
screenshot017.jpg

While viewing the 17 minute documentary retrospective, THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: FROM INKWELL TO BACKLOT, the inferior quality of THE STOLEN COSTUME episode clips is rather painfully evident! Were the 35mm prints for this episode "Stolen?"
screenshot091.jpg

The Kellogg's commercial spots PQ wise, are approximately akin to what one might observe viewing vintage commercials on YouTube. I'm not entirely certain these weren't sourced from telecine transfers.
screenshot115.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the detailed info on the process. I guess I wasn’t given the correct film processing details by a supposed “insider.”

John

it’s all good, many times people with limited inside knowledge like to spread rumors.

If you wanna get an idea how good this show could look from original 35mm camera negatives, I very highly recommend our new release via ClassicFlix of the Abbott and Costello Show.

On the 26 first season episodes, only 6 reels (out of 156) had to be scanned from fine grains. 150 are from Camera negative!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
it’s all good, many times people with limited inside knowledge like to spread rumors.

If you wanna get an idea how good this show could look from original 35mm camera negatives, I very highly recommend our new release via ClassicFlix of the Abbott and Costello Show.

On the 26 first season episodes, only 6 reels (out of 156) had to be scanned from fine grains. 150 are from Camera negative!
Would love you to propose a Blu Ray release of Adventures Of Superman you would do it right

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Today, I viewed both SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951) and the two part ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 finale, THE UNKNOWN PEOPLE.

A few differences and other things I noticed:

With the Theatrical release running 58 minutes, and the 2 part Television presentation less than 52 minutes, some bits obviously had to be edited out for time. For me, it was the absence of this clever POV camera shot is the casualty that stood out the most!

screenshot138.jpg

Also, there was some added voice over narration near the end of THE UNKNOWN PEOPLE, PART 1, and the start of THE UNKNOWN PEOPLE, PART 2, which recaps the first part of part 1. The stated "Stay tuned for the preview of our next episode" followed directly by the end credits tells us it wasn't included in the print transfer that is on the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Season 1 DVD set.

Also worthy of note, is while these episodes otherwise appear to be derived from film sources, it is undeniable to me that the closing credits for THE UNKNOWN PEOPLE, PART 2 were derived from a videotape transfer, as in motion, they display the telltale tape wobble. While this is difficult to fully capture in screenshot form, the latter day WARNER BROTHERS TELEVISION DISTRIBUTION logo should provide the vital clue that 35mm film stock was not the source of these end credits!

These next three screenshots need to be zoomed in to pick up on the slight wobble that occurs between each of them! Take particular note of the ART HAMMOND credit!
screenshot440.jpg

screenshot441.jpg

screenshot442.jpg

This latter day Warner Brothers Television logo simply would not be on an original 35mm fine grain ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN print!
screenshot444.jpg

Attachments

• screenshot440.jpg
    screenshot440.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 22

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I personally find the entire process of syndication fascinating. Who used what prints, what they were called and so on. I've picked up a few terms here and there, but I know I use them incorrectly or don't understand some. I would love to read up on it. Are there any good and accurate resources for learning the history and nuts and bolts of rerun syndication? I imagine what I am asking is pretty broad, but all the same....

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Bob,

Been wanting the restored Abbott and Costello Show since it first became available last month. My wife has ordered it as a birthday gift for my 66th Birthday which is next week. Can’t wait to see it.
Thanks again.

John

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Fantastic John, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. That said, it will further frustrate you knowing how good Superman could look if properly restored!
Hopefully someone from Warner's is reading this thread and with the DVD releases seeming to be out of print who knows --- might happen!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Bob,

Been wanting the restored Abbott and Costello Show since it first became available last month. My wife has ordered it as a birthday gift for my 66th Birthday which is next week. Can’t wait to see it.
Thanks again.

John
Happy Early Birthday John! Bob and his teams work will really impress --- stunning work on Abbott and Costello!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Bob,

Thanks again.

John
Your mind will be Blown!!! I only remember the show as a kid off of my familys antenna. And with those you had good days and bad days, LOL!!! These are pristine!!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Would love you to propose a Blu Ray release of Adventures Of Superman you would do it right
Of Bob Furmanek and his amazing restoration team, I have no doubt they would do it right! :)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhh!!! I Second that Rob!!!
I third that! :)

Fantastic John, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. That said, it will further frustrate you knowing how good Superman could look if properly restored!
No, and yes! I definitely aim to get THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Season 2 Blu-ray set ASAP upon its release!! :)

Hopefully someone from Warner's is reading this thread and with the DVD releases seeming to be out of print who knows --- might happen!
If Warner takes on a 2K/4K ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN restoration, hopefully they can obtain a better source print (Whether a superior 16mm print, or ideally, a 35mm source print!) for "The Stolen Costume" from Season 1!

My impression having viewed DISC 5 from Season 1, is while they look better than say, the previous telecine sourced DVD releases of THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW, they could certainly use a proper HD restoration!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I wanted to share my photo essay with strictly Adventures of Superman fans. Hope you all enjoy.

Adventures of Superman (1952-1958)
S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)

Cast:

George Reeves as Boulder
Jack Larson Jimmy Olsen
John Hamilton Perry White
Robert Shayne Inspector Henderson
Carleton G. Young as Fairchild
Percy Helton as Hamlet
George Chandler as Scratchy
William Newell as Grocery Store Clerk
Nolan Leary as Jewelry Store Guard
Sam Balter as The Radio Announcer
I. Stanford Jolley as The Plastic Surgeon
Hayden Rorke as Tom
Chet Brandenburg Man listening To Hamlet
Bill Kennedy Announcer
Bert Stevens Man Listening To Hamlet

Writer:
Jackson Gillis

Director:
George Blair

Petty thief Boulder has a slight resemblance to Superman aka Clark Kent. Incredibly, after some plastic surgery he becomes a dead ringer for The Man of Steel! Problem is Boulder sounds just like someone from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn NY. In comes Hamlet (Percy Helton) for some lessons in grammar. Wearing a Superman costume with a bullet-proof vest underneath Boulder convinces just about everyone that he is The Man Of Steel. The real Superman begins to question his own sanity. The Face and the Voice is a classic episode of this series in that it shows the acting versatility of George Reeves as he plays not one not two but three roles.

While creating this photo essay it occurred to me just how much we all loved George Reeves, how much we love Superman and what his portrayal as the Man of Steel meant to all of us through our lifetimes. From our childhood to adulthood. I know I was not old enough to see it first run but grew to love The Adventures of Superman in syndication. The tragedy surrounding his mysterious death, how it affected the children of that era can only be imagined. We’ll never really know what happened. But what we do know is that thank goodness this series made it to DVD. Yes it’s a damn shame it never has been and probably never will be remastered, but what we have is certainly better than having nothing at all. Due to the inferior prints used for TAOS by Warner the images below were greatly reduced in size in addition to being tweaked as best I could. See the full version here.

S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-1 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-4 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-11 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-14 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-22 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-27 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-28 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-35 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-36 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-58 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-72 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-76 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-77 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-84 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-85 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-88 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-89 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-94 copy.jpg S02E10 The Face and the Voice (Nov.21.1953)-118 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks