What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue??? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This film is on Disney+ but I haven’t watched it.

I believe it is hd only.

will we be seeing more fox films on Disney+?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
This film is on Disney+ but I haven’t watched it.

I believe it is hd only.

will we be seeing more fox films on Disney+?

Who knows at this point. As of this post, the only other older Fox films on there are the original Miracle on 34th Street and Journey to the Center of the Earth (which transfer are they using for this one?). I sampled the Disney+ print of the film this topic is about and can confirm that it is not only regular HD, but the same transfer as the Blu-ray, so if you have that you’re not missing much.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read (maybe The Hollywood Reporter) that Doctor Dolittle is coming to Disney+ at some point in April, so that will be another Fox film in their rundown.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I read (maybe The Hollywood Reporter) that Doctor Dolittle is coming to Disney+ at some point in April, so that will be another Fox film in their rundown.

Rex Harrison or Eddie Murphy? I ask because both of them were Fox movies and the second Eddie Murphy film is already on there.

EDIT: Just checked the site and the Eddie Murphy version is listed as being recently added. Still no sign of the Rex Harrison version though.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I assumed it was the Rex Harrison version, and it was not at the top of the list (meaning there on April 1) but rather later on down the list meaning later this month.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I assumed it was the Rex Harrison version, and it was not at the top of the list (meaning there on April 1) but rather later on down the list meaning later this month.

I do not see the point of having an inferior HD version on Disney + when it looks fantastic on Blu-ray.
Disney could show 4k version instead and that might be an improvement if properly done.

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Another wish I have is that they release SOUTH PACIFIC with the filters intact. The desaturated version just looks weird. It was meant to have filters. Also, please give us the uncut version in HD even though it might be faded in sections.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Another wish I have is that they release SOUTH PACIFIC with the filters intact. The desaturated version just looks weird. It was meant to have filters. Also, please give us the uncut version in HD even though it might be faded in sections.

The (general release) version of South Pacific on Blu-ray has the filters intact.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just watched the standalone Blu-ray of South Pacific the other night.

Godawful filters and Godawful choreography were all still intact!

Every time a filter appeared, my wife and I went "Ack! We should have turned it into a drinking game.

Reactions: PMF

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just watched the standalone Blu-ray of South Pacific the other night.

Godawful filters and Godawful choreography were all still intact!

Every time a filter appeared, my wife and I went "Ack! We should have turned it into a drinking game.

Yes, the filters are there, but for the first time I didn't find them so terrible on the blu, unlike the VHS and DVD. As for the choreography, "South Pacific" is one of the rare musicals that had no choreographer, for the simple reason that Rodgers & Hammerstein didn't think any was needed. All the "choreography" was improvised (mainly by director Joshua Logan), just as it would have been in a Pacific war camp show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the filters are there, but for the first time I didn't find them so terrible on the blu, unlike the VHS and DVD. As for the choreography, "South Pacific" is one of the rare musicals that had no choreographer, for the simple reason that Rodgers & Hammerstein didn't think any was needed. All the "choreography" was improvised (mainly by director Joshua Logan), just as it would have been in a Pacific war camp show.
I had the same reaction to the filters on Blu. High definition resolves them better and makes them palatable since you can get so many more details underneath them in HD rather than on the DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It may be a better South Pacific with the colour filters removed in your opinion but then it would not be South Pacific, would it?

Yes it would be, but better! ;) I wonder if they even have the non-filtered trims.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes it would be, but better! ;) I wonder if they even have the non-filtered trims.
The filters were done in camera and they did not shoot filtered and unfiltered as I think Shamroy had suggested. He was right and Joshua Logan was wrong as it looked quite bad and the damage was done and could not be reversed contrary to what Shamroy had been told.

As for The Sound of Music apart from it popping up on Disney+ in 1080p there don't seem to be that many news recently. Is there any sign that we will get a 55th anniversary UHD release?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I understand that Logan was not pleased with the result. But I was about 16 when I saw it in Melbourne on its first release and thought everything looked just lusciously beautiful. Mind you, I couldn't see much past France Nuyen... I still love the effects on my Blu ray and Mitzi Gaynor is a total treat too, especially when she struts her stuff on the sand.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
South Pacific was a tremendous success across the world in its day, so the filters must not have been objectionable enough to turn off most patrons. It ran for years in New York, London, and Tokyo at roadshow prices. Being filmed in Todd-AO like The Sound of Music, they'd both be prime candidates for UHD treatment if done correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.