What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue??? (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just got back from seeing the national tour of the recent revival of The King and I. It was excellent.

In preparation for the show I re-watched the first half of the movie on Blu Ray. It was definitely tinted more blue than what I would have expected but it wasn't Cyan.

I will get the 4K Sound of Music even though I don't have any large issues with the existing disc.
Perhaps we should consult Samantha Eggar
s-l1600[1].jpg
;)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The irony of quoting this advertisement in the context of the KING AND I colors is awesome, since Eggar starred as Anna Leonowens opposite Yul Brynner in the 1972 television series ANNA AND THE KING.
I believe there's a song by Alanis Morrissette ...;)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I just got back from seeing the national tour of the recent revival of The King and I. It was excellent.

In preparation for the show I re-watched the first half of the movie on Blu Ray. It was definitely tinted more blue than what I would have expected but it wasn't Cyan.

I will get the 4K Sound of Music even though I don't have any large issues with the existing disc.

I preferred seeing Yul Brynner in THE KING AND I on Broadway many years ago.That was a treat to behold

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone know about the DCP Fathom showings of "The Sound of Music"?
Wondering what I may have been seeing last night (09/09/18) in terms of the technical.
I suspect that I was viewing it in 2K.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wondering what I may have been seeing last night (09/09/18) in terms of the technical.
I suspect that I was viewing it in 2K; as it seems that some theaters are not all in 4K.
Looked Ike 4K to me but I’m not sure.

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw the new 70mm version which is a 4K out to film in 2 screens in London.
Some of it was very good and some parts were not.
The best thing was is it was screened in Datasat/DTS Special Venue and it still had the directional dialogue
using the front five channels which sounded great.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I saw the new 70mm version which is a 4K out to film in 2 screens in London.
Some of it was very good and some parts were not.
The best thing was is it was screened in Datasat/DTS Special Venue and it still had the directional dialogue
using the front five channels which sounded great.

filmouts - you have to like them as it keeps the film stock production and the 70 mm projectors going...

I take it that you also own the Blu-ray, could you see differences in color timing and was the sound more detailed?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
filmouts - you have to like them as it keeps the film stock production and the 70 mm projectors going...

I take it that you also own the Blu-ray, could you see differences in color timing and was the sound more detailed?

The sound was more detailed but the color timing looked better than the BD.
But some of the picture was much better than the Lawrence 4K to 70mm new version.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The sound was more detailed but the color timing looked better than the BD.
But some of the picture was much better than the Lawrence 4K to 70mm new version.

Glad to hear that. If that is the last we will see of 70 mm they better try to perfectionize the process.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher

My issue with the current BD of TSOM is its sound. The ambient sound from the original sound design is missing. I want it back! Anyone know what they're using in the Fathom showing?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I suspect that I was viewing it in 2K.
Looked Iike 4K to me but I’m not sure.
I wrote to Fathom concerning this question and they were kind enough to respond and clarify:

"The file provided to the participating theaters was a 4K file. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if theaters played in 4k or 2k as theaters can place this event in any auditorium and projectors are not the same from auditorium to auditorium."

Hopefully, when calling certain theaters to confirm, the person answering the phone will know which is which.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is not that the 50th anniversary blu-ray is bad but I would love to see a properly done SOM 4K blu-ray come out! I would be all over a 4K blu-ray release with HDR or Dolby Vision as that would be an instant sale as long as the transfer is done right! Come on Fox lets see some older catalog titles on 4K. Mark Booth's mention of Oklahoma reminded me that I still need to pick up that title, thanks Mark.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It is not that the 50th anniversary blu-ray is bad but I would love to see a properly done SOM 4K blu-ray come out! I would be all over a 4K blu-ray release with HDR or Dolby Vision as that would be an instant sale as long as the transfer is done right! Come on Fox lets see some older catalog titles on 4K. Mark Booth's mention of Oklahoma reminded me that I still need to pick up that title, thanks Mark.

You’d not purchase without HDR or Dolby Vision?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You’d not purchase without HDR or Dolby Vision?

I would strongly prefer to have it with 12 Bit and 2020 color space but without HDR. But I do not think that this is a realistic goal as studios will try to get as many sales as they can and HDR is their biggest sales pitch. I would love to be proven wrong or even to get the solution that I have been asking for from the start: Why not have one version with HDR and another one without?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the blu of SOM the other night, for the first time n a long time.
The sound is not what it should be with the high end cut off.
Just swith during any orchestral part to the French track and you can hear what is missing.
Everyone who is supposed to have blond hair has red hair in this transfer.
Its like SOM has been reset in Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.