1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jim*Tod, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would like it to have HDR or Dolby Vision as I feel it would add to the color pallet of the colorful scenes but if HDR or Dolby Vision was not applied I would still buy it. I just want a really high quality 4K blu-ray at the end of the day. A properly done 4K transfer onto 4K blu-ray is an instant purchase for me.

PMF likes this.
  2. Message #82 of 95 Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I'll be checking out the French track. Thanks for the heads up.:thumbs-up-smiley:
    Meanwhile, Shawn Belston's work on the initial SoM is what sold me on switching to Blu Ray. I thought it looked and sounded beautiful. And for that, I thank him. But oh, how quickly technology has since advanced. So, with that said, here's to hoping that FOX is taking notes on all our posts in prep for an even grander work on a future 4K/UHD.:)

OliverK likes this.
  3. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Don't know if anyone mentioned this before but on the streaming version from Movies Anywhere the sound effect where Maria slaps her side during the opening song is back. It is not on the steaming version on VUDU.

4. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

A good documentary about the real story, the family, and the film.

PMF likes this.
  5. Message #85 of 95 Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Stu's Cheesecake

Stu's Cheesecake Auditioning

David
    In summer of 2018 I saw a 70MM print of SOM at Museum Of The Moving Image. The print was crystal clear with great color and sound. However, two changes in the opening credits caught my eye.

Omitted is the “With the partial use of ideas by Georg Hurdalek” credit. The “stage musical” credits are in a different font.

Unmistakably this is a new (or recently struck) print. Did I see a restored 4K version? There were no restoration credits at the end.

6. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The "slap" is there in the Movies Anywhere streaming version, but the PQ is not good...unrestored with lines , specks, less color and more grain.

PMF likes this.
  7. Message #87 of 95 May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

How fun going back to read this thread, especially since we are getting close to 2020, the film's next 5-year anniversary and hopefully the time Fox will release this in 4k.

I have stated my feelings on the blu-ray anywhere people will listen. The sound was not spectacular, Oklahoma, made 10 years earlier, sounds so much more alive. If you listen closely, and Joe Capps will agree with me on this one, they filtered off the high end of the soundtrack, probably to get rid of the tape hiss sound from 1965 recording. There was no Dolby then so every soundtrack had tape hiss. I would much rather have the tape hiss there and get the entire high end of the soundtrack. And my other complaint is that the picture has just too many earthtones. No version of this film (no theatrical release or video release) ever looked like the blu-ray, it's just wrong in its color palettes. They didn't stay with the Robert Wise approved transfer, which was the laserdisc box set. Those are the colors all the projectionists who remember this say are correct. And seeing this over 50 times in 70mm between 1965 and the 1973 reissue, it never looked like the blu-ray. But I have to give Shawn B major credit for the sharpness and detail, now that is astounding on the blu-ray. To me, the most accurate versions of The Sound of Music as far as color and sound are the 40th anniversary DVD and the ABC TV showings done around Thanksgiving every year.

It is said for the first time they used the original 6 track master. But I think they altered the high end with filtering to get rid of tape hiss. So sad. Just leave the hiss there, that is what is on the tape. If you go back and forth between the blu-ray DTS MA soundtrack and the French soundtrack, you will hear exactly what I am talking about, the French soundtrack was obviously taken from the 40th anniversary DVD transfer. In my opinion, that version had the right colors and the soundtrack had a much better high end to it.

But I digress, the main reason I posted here was to respond to Noel Aguirre when he mentioned a 3D version of the film. What better film to convert to 3D than this one. Just watch the film and think of 3D, imagine Julie on the hill in 3D and all of that scenery in the film. I truly believe a theatrical (and blu-ray) 3D release of this film could have earned Fox millions of dollars. Look what The Lion King made for Disney when converted to 3D, and look how stunning The Wizard of Oz looks. Of all of Hollywood's classics, I believe it is this one that would have been a huge success with a proper 3D conversion. I suppose it will never happen now with 3D as it is.....very sad.

Also, a note to Fox: There are some new extras that could appear on the 4k edition. Oprah did an hour long reunion show for the 50th anniversary. Diane Sawyer also did an hour long special going back to Austria with Julie, also there are some screen-test compilations out there with screen tests from this movie. Plus there was an English hour long documentary which can be seen on YouTube, plus I believe a few more I didn't list here, all of those could be added to disc 2 which came out with the last set which had one blu-ray with just one program. If they really wanted to go all out, they could add the Andrew Llooyd Webber series "How do you solve a problem like Maria" from the U.K., the reality show in which they cast the new Maria!

PMF and Brent Reid like this.
  8. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I am one of the posters unhappy with the SOM blu-and I also think that The King and I is an abomination. We do not "hate" The Sound of Music transfer for the blu-ray, we just want the original colors back and the high end of the sound unfiltered. I believe the blu-ray of SOM is one of the sharpest detailed blu-rays out there, but for those of us who have been bat-nuts fans of this film, we are picky, and want the version that Robert Wise okay'd. The King and I blu-ray was one of my biggest let-downs and I can't believe they didn't do a fix on it like they did for Patton.

AnthonyClarke, PMF and Brent Reid like this.
  9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

When I look at the King and I blu-ray, I don't even understand what I'm seeing.

10. Message #90 of 95 May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    And remember the recent 70mm/ DTS print is a digital out, nowwhere as good as an original 1965 print.

You are in the show in Todd-AO , not with this print.

PMF likes this.
  11. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Hey having just re-read this I fully get what you now mean by the sound. Yes the high end is missing. I remember that original LP in all its stereophonic glory sounding better. As to the picture it’s still much better than any previous blu-ray which were all terrible. Of course I would love to see this as accurate as possible on all its 70M glory.
    But Fox please fix The King and I first- it’s unwatchable.

12. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    Lets not forget poor STAR! that only has a DVD release

DP 70, Ken Koc and PMF like this.
  13. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    LeoA, Robin9 and PMF like this.
  14. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Some thoughts - this is NOT the first use of the six track. Apparently the six track was in bad shape, so they used a print master.
    To haear the lack of high end, go to the dance portion of Sixteen Going on Seventeen and switch to the French language track. the difference is like night and day.
    Never in this entire transfer is julies haie blond - born and often red, but no blond !!!

15. Message #95 of 95 Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    With both "Sound" and "Music" in and of its title; and an Oscar win in each of these categories;
    it's so clear, obvious and demanding as to what must be done.
    If the powers that be can do it right, this hopeful 4K/UHD could prove itself as being one of the highest selling discs of all time;
    just as it initially was in 1965 when "The Sound of Music" had set its historical box-office record.

benbess likes this.