What's new

Conan the Barbarian (1982) 4K Arrow Release Discussion (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What is going on with Arrow? I read earlier they cancelled Robert Crawford's order of a couple movies, and this morning, without explanation they cancelled my order of a completely different title with no explanation!

Hello Bryan

Thank you for your purchase.

We have cancelled the following item(s) from your order----- If a charge has been taken, then a refund will be processed and the money returned to your account within 3-5 working days.

As the item I ordered was a limited edition, I will not get another chance to purchase as I won't pay scalper prices. I'm very upset, and like Robert this is the last time I order anything from them.

Also, Amazon cancelled my Conan Chronicles 4K set preorder I had locked in, so I lost out on that as well

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Could Arrow be having some issue with manufacturing delays? Seems odd they'd be cancelling pre-orders placed months ago. Should have known well before now that they wouldn't be able to fulfill so many pre-orders.

EDIT: Though I see from the scuttlebutt on the web that this is somewhat SOP for Zavvi/Arrow.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Could Arrow be having some issue with manufacturing delays? Seems odd they'd be cancelling pre-orders placed months ago. Should have known well before now that they wouldn't be able to fulfill so many pre-orders.
If they are having delays a simple e-mail explaining that would be sufficient. With the success of Conan, I can't imagine they would be shutting down or anything.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just got another e-mail from them.
We are sorry for any frustration and confusion caused by the unexpected cancellation of your Arrow pre-order(s). You should have received a cancellation email detailing this earlier today.

Upgrading our systems has inadvertently cancelled your pre-order(s), and we’re doing all we can as a matter of priority to prevent this happening again the future. Unfortunately, cancelled orders cannot be reinstated, and you must place your order again if you still want to purchase this product.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just got another e-mail from them.
We are sorry for any frustration and confusion caused by the unexpected cancellation of your Arrow pre-order(s). You should have received a cancellation email detailing this earlier today.

Upgrading our systems has inadvertently cancelled your pre-order(s), and we’re doing all we can as a matter of priority to prevent this happening again the future. Unfortunately, cancelled orders cannot be reinstated, and you must place your order again if you still want to purchase this product.
You either have too laugh or cry, This seems to be more and more the norm...now, creeping into the Pre-order titles...Damn, that's just wrong!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They didn't do a system backup before the upgrade? Sounds like they're scraping bottom if those are the best IT people they can find.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
They are the worst. I had an issue ordering from them directly in the past, so I made sure I never made that mistake again. Now my Conan orders are in limbo on Amazon. They don't seem interested in selling me movies.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It looks like there is going to be another release of Conan the Barbarian without the superfluous collectors stuff. Is this how Arrow normally does it, issue a movie with lots of ancillary material and then a disc only release? I'm always baffled by their releases. I'm only interested in the movie and the disc based extra features, so if this how they do it, I can skip the limited early edition and not get frustrated.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like there is going to be another release of Conan the Barbarian without the superfluous collectors stuff. Is this how Arrow normally does it, issue a movie with lots of ancillary material and then a disc only release? I'm always baffled by their releases. I'm only interested in the movie and the disc based extra features, so if this how they do it, I can skip the limited early edition and not get frustrated.

Arrow typically first puts out a limited edition. The contents of the limited edition can vary from release. It almost always includes extra packaging. Some releases contain an additional disc with extra bonus features and/or alternate cuts of the film.

Once the limited edition sells out, they then put out a standard edition. The standard edition omits any specialty packaging, and will usually eliminate the bonus disc if there was one.

If it’s a title that has disc based extras I will usually opt for the limited edition; if it’s just extra packaging for the limited edition then I typically wait for the standard. You kinda have to do the research on each title to see if the limited version has an extra disc or not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Arrow typically first puts out a limited edition. The contents of the limited edition can vary from release. It almost always includes extra packaging. Some releases contain an additional disc with extra bonus features and/or alternate cuts of the film.

Once the limited edition sells out, they then put out a standard edition. The standard edition omits any specialty packaging, and will usually eliminate the bonus disc if there was one.

If it’s a title that has disc based extras I will usually opt for the limited edition; if it’s just extra packaging for the limited edition then I typically wait for the standard. You kinda have to do the research on each title to see if the limited version has an extra disc or not.
Amazon links were posted the other day for April 30th release date.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't see how you can do that if the standard edition comes out later and is unannounced.

What I mean is - if you’re only interested in disc-based content and not extra packaging - you look at the limited edition press release. If it’s a single disc limited edition, and you only want the disc but don’t care about the limited packaging, then you are safe to wait.

If it’s a two disc limited edition and you want all of the disc-based content, then you have to buy the limited edition because when they announce the standard edition, that standard edition will only be the first disc from the limited set.

So that’s the research you have to do if you want all the disc based content, just determining if the limited edition is a single disc or multiple discs.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If it’s a two disc limited edition and you want all of the disc-based content, then you have to buy the limited edition because when they announce the standard edition, that standard edition will only be the first disc from the limited set.
Except there will be a 2-disc standard edition of Conan the Barbarian.

This all strikes me as consumer unfriendly. I've been getting movies on video for over 40 years. I've followed the industry for over 30 years. Arrow's releases confuse me. I don't know where to reliably buy them and I'm never sure what the contents are.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

This all strikes me as consumer unfriendly. I've been getting movies on video for over 40 years. I've followed the industry for over 30 years. Arrow's releases confuse me. I don't know where to reliably buy them and I'm never sure what the contents are.
And to make things even more fun, as of today there's ZERO mention of the upcoming 4K Standard Editions of either Barbarian or Destroyer on Arrow's website.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yikes.

Arrow puts out a terrific product. While Witness has some problems with forced subtitles, I can deal with that, and it delights me that they went to the effort to include the 35mm theatrical mix. This Conan disc includes the original mono audio, which again thrills me. So nothing against the discs...if I can get them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

That’s a new wrinkle for me, the non-limited having the bonus disc. Historically it hadn’t. Yeah, that is frustrating.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

But, but, but they come in a box that takes up more space on your shelf & they also have very small versions of the one-sheet & lobby cards AND you get to pay more money for it all. What's not to love about that?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
And to make things even more fun, as of today there's ZERO mention of the upcoming 4K Standard Editions of either Barbarian or Destroyer on Arrow's website.
They always come, if the Limited Edition sells out! Just give them three or four months, from the Limited Edition release date. I'm betting a May release for the 4K Standard Edition release. Conan The Barbarian 4K was the fastest selling Limited Edition, Arrow Video has yet released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks