What's new

Overtures, intermission, entr’acte, exit music on Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Steven Ward

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
A note on ''HEAVEN'S GATE'' (1980). As IF a nearly 4-hour movie can IGNORE having an INTERMISSION! Well, Michael Camino's own 'DIRECTOR'S CUT 'for the Criterion BLU-RAY edition did just that. The earlier DVD(MGM-2000) has a welcomed INTERMISSION TAG, and what a perfect place for it--right after the gang of mercenaries departs from the train leaving John Hurt behind in the dust, then a shot of the train with it's haunting whistle-blow,-- a CHILLING and perfect place for that intermission! Me, mortified when I discovered that this was REMOVED for this ''ultimate Blu-ray edition'' !! Whether it was originally shown with an intermission is anyone's guess or memory (?). However, since the epic was chopped -up with several different running times upon it's release, and perhaps an irrelevant issue in any case, I do believe that the DVD-version's PLACEMENT OF THAT INTERMISSION remains a POWERFUL statement, and PERFECT for the story, at that point. The booklet explains that Camino didn't want to include an INTERMISSION!! Really difficult to comprehend, for ANY of the EDITS.. BTW, does anyone here know whether the original and even LONGER-PRE-RELEASE VERSION of ''HEAVEN'S GATE" is available anywhere in media to view? Also, the DVD (MGM-2000) version clocks virtually the same as the Criterion edition (sans INTERMISSION time, and perhaps maybe giving or taking a few seconds here and there, due to people with scissors throughout the years). This EPIC improves with repeated viewings, for sure; and granted that the film suffers from some ill-constructed character development, along with it's shocking and horrible ending --I believe it remains a massive , stunning, and beautiful piece work from all those involved with it's making. Also, perhaps someone out there can explain WHY-OH-WHY??!! the CRITERION COLLECTION chose NOT to include SUBTITLES with their films----especially with their 'International appeal'?!? Is this their policy? Also, (perhaps cringing ), I ask : Are there ANY other fans of this film?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anybody know if they took breaks on the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions when those were all shown on Trilogy Tuesday?
They didn't during the LotR extended edition marathon that happened a month before the first Hobbit film came out.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A note on ''HEAVEN'S GATE'' (1980). As IF a nearly 4-hour movie can IGNORE having an INTERMISSION! Well, Michael Camino's own 'DIRECTOR'S CUT 'for the Criterion BLU-RAY edition did just that. The earlier DVD(MGM-2000) has a welcomed INTERMISSION TAG, and what a perfect place for it--right after the gang of mercenaries departs from the train leaving John Hurt behind in the dust, then a shot of the train with it's haunting whistle-blow,-- a CHILLING and perfect place for that intermission! Me, mortified when I discovered that this was REMOVED for this ''ultimate Blu-ray edition'' !! Whether it was originally shown with an intermission is anyone's guess or memory (?). However, since the epic was chopped -up with several different running times upon it's release, and perhaps an irrelevant issue in any case, I do believe that the DVD-version's PLACEMENT OF THAT INTERMISSION remains a POWERFUL statement, and PERFECT for the story, at that point. The booklet explains that Camino didn't want to include an INTERMISSION!! Really difficult to comprehend, for ANY of the EDITS.. BTW, does anyone here know whether the original and even LONGER-PRE-RELEASE VERSION of ''HEAVEN'S GATE" is available anywhere in media to view? Also, the DVD (MGM-2000) version clocks virtually the same as the Criterion edition (sans INTERMISSION time, and perhaps maybe giving or taking a few seconds here and there, due to people with scissors throughout the years). This EPIC improves with repeated viewings, for sure; and granted that the film suffers from some ill-constructed character development, along with it's shocking and horrible ending --I believe it remains a massive , stunning, and beautiful piece work from all those involved with it's making. Also, perhaps someone out there can explain WHY-OH-WHY??!! the CRITERION COLLECTION chose NOT to include SUBTITLES with their films----especially with their 'International appeal'?!? Is this their policy? Also, (perhaps cringing ), I ask : Are there ANY other fans of this film?

I don't have the Criterion blu of Heaven's Gate but I have the DVD (alas, not anamorphic) with the intermission. Personally, I feel any film longer than 2 1/2 hours should have an intermission. I had intended to see Blade Runner 2049 theatrically but as soon as I heard it pushed the 3 hour mark sans intermission, I knew I'd have to wait until it hit the home video market. Both my bladder and my butt were suffering during the 3 hour Blue Is The Warmest Color and I vowed then and there I would never again see a movie over 2 1/2 hours theatrically. I think there's something egotistical about a director insisting that an audience sit for 3 hours without a break (granted, there's nothing stopping them from getting up to use the bathroom or going in the lobby to stretch our legs) but still.

Steven Ward

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I don't have the Criterion blu of Heaven's Gate but I have the DVD (alas, not anamorphic) with the intermission. Personally, I feel any film longer than 2 1/2 hours should have an intermission. I had intended to see Blade Runner 2049 theatrically but as soon as I heard it pushed the 3 hour mark sans intermission, I knew I'd have to wait until it hit the home video market. Both my bladder and my butt were suffering during the 3 hour Blue Is The Warmest Color and I vowed then and there I would never again see a movie over 2 1/2 hours theatrically. I think there's something egotistical about a director insisting that an audience sit for 3 hours without a break (granted, there's nothing stopping them from getting up to use the bathroom or going in the lobby to stretch our legs) but still.
I totally agree!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Quite a few films have extended end title music where the music continues after the film has ended. Classic Fix's recent THE MAN WHO WATCHED TRAINS GO BY for example, has 30 seconds of music which continues following the end titles but I'm not sure whether such examples qualify as Exit Music.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same has Starway To Heaven played over the end credits, which are not long, and the whole song continues to play after the credits fade. So the full 8 minutes of Stairway is played at the end.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I have a question about It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Is what is featured on the 90's VHS and Laserdisc; which is what TCM airs and what is on Criterion's release the same thing as the original premiere and theatrical run, up until the general release versions?

For anyone who might be confused on what I'm talking about, I'll clarify.

On the VHS/Laserdisc/, the Overture has the globe logo moving around screen as cards changes different colors as the theme song is sung. The old DVD screen saver idea may have been inspired from Mad Mad World. The Intermission is a Military looking green card with word Intermission in the center of the screen. The Entr'act is a blue screen with the globe as a spinning toy from the credits and portions of Ernest Gold's score is played. And finally the Exit Music is a rainbow gradient card with the words Exit Music in the center and the instrumental version of the theme song playing.

I don't remember if Criterion's Blu-ray had the same stuff on it or not. I'm asking because I remember with some airings on TCM the overture was a blurry closeup of spinning disco ball/chandelier while the theme song played in the background. Also TCM has skipped the entr'act a few times as well. I know the DVD's don't have the overture, but they do have the intermission, entr'act and exit music, the last two being music playing on a blank black screen.

Last edited:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
We have Diary of anne frank, but the overture is not correctly placed.
The last twenty seconds of the Overture plays OVEER the filmed Fox Logo.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have a question about It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Is what is featured on the 90's VHS and Laserdisc; which is what TCM airs and what is on Criterion's release the same thing as the original premiere and theatrical run, up until the general release versions?

For anyone who might be confused on what I'm talking about, I'll clarify.

On the VHS/Laserdisc/, the Overture has the globe logo moving around screen as cards changes different colors as the theme song is sung. The old DVD screen saver idea may have been inspired from Mad Mad World. The Intermission is a Military looking green card with word Intermission in the center of the screen. The Entr'act is a blue screen with the globe as a spinning toy from the credits and portions of Ernest Gold's score is played. And finally the Exit Music is a rainbow gradient card with the words Exit Music in the center and the instrumental version of the theme song playing.

I don't remember if Criterion's Blu-ray had the same stuff on it or not. I'm asking because I remember with some airings on TCM the overture was a blurry closeup of spinning disco ball/chandelier while the theme song played in the background. Also TCM has skipped the entr'act a few times as well. I know the DVD's don't have the overture, but they do have the intermission, entr'act and exit music, the last two being music playing on a blank black screen.

On the theatrical prints, the Overture and Entr'acte are black - there is no image. They were designed to be played over closed curtains.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
We have Diary of anne frank, but the overture is not correctly placed.
The last twenty seconds of the Overture plays OVEER the filmed Fox Logo.

I stand to be corrected but I believe Diary Of Anne Frank also had an entr'acte that played before the second half of the film began but the blu ray eliminates it.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I stand to be corrected but I believe Diary Of Anne Frank also had an entr'acte that played before the second half of the film began but the blu ray eliminates it.

I believe George Stevens, Jr. is on record as stating that his father never wanted an intermission in this film. When Fox restored this several years ago and I attended a screening with the younger cast members in attendance, it played straight through with no break.

However, I miss any elimination to Alfred Newman's score and wish the blu ray had the option to let us insert the intermission and entr'acte where they were originally placed.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I believe George Stevens, Jr. is on record as stating that his father never wanted an intermission in this film. When Fox restored this several years ago and I attended a screening with the younger cast members in attendance, it played straight through with no break.

However, I miss any elimination to Alfred Newman's score and wish the blu ray had the option to let us insert the intermission and entr'acte where they were originally placed.

The intermission card is there in the proper place but it isn't followed by the entr'acte. If my memory serves me correctly, the laser disc did have the entr'acte included. I can't remember if the DVD had the entr'acte.

Les Mangram

Agent
Real Name
Alan
I have the 2011 Sony BD of The Guns of Naverone and it does not have an intermission. In fact I have never seen this film on any format with an intermission.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have the 2011 Sony BD of The Guns of Naverone and it does not have an intermission. In fact I have never seen this film on any format with an intermission.

My 2011 blu ray of The Guns Of Navarone most definitely does have an intermission and entr'acte. When I hit play on the menu a card comes up asking me if I want to play it with the original intermission. So you have the option of watching straight through or with the intermission and entr'acte. The intermission occurs 1:27 minutes into the film right after the little greek girl brings the flowers to Peck's table and the Nazis arrest them. The blu ray has the intermission card on screen during the entire entr'acte. The entr'acte is about 4 minutes in length.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks