What's new

Overtures, intermission, entr’acte, exit music on Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also didn't notice that Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Overture) wasn't listed.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
It is not included on the Blu-ray, but I have seen at least one home video version of BONNIE AND CLYDE that included a lovely bit of Exit Music played over a black screen after the closing credits. I would have loved it to be on the Blu-ray. And as many times as I saw the movie in a theater on its initial release and subsequent revival screenings, I don't think I ever heard that Exit Music. Or maybe I just didn't realize that is what it was. It is not the rollicking blue grass music. It is more like the melancholy/romantic string bit that plays over the scene where Clyde runs to and embraces Bonnie in the dry corn field before the family picnic scene.

Does anyone else remember that or know what the history was with regard to the Exit Music for that great movie re it being played in its original theatrical release or only in a home video version or two?

Last edited:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Becket always had an intermission and intermission music when I saw itl.
Greatest Story Ever Told always had an Overture.
Over the years, the Music for Agony and Ecstasy has become switched. The Overture is now where the Exit music was and the Exit Music is now played as the Overture.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Over the years, the Music for Agony and Ecstasy has become switched. The Overture is now where the Exit music was and the Exit Music is now played as the Overture.

I also saw BECKET with an intermission in London but I don't recall whether there was any entr'acte music. I don't remember GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD having an Overture when I saw it at the London premiere but I couldn't say for sure that there wasn't one. However, the CD has no separate overture track.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

1. When I saw Becket at Loews State NYC Becket had an Overture as well as Entr'acte . Same music
2. GSET. I believe everyone is talking about the same thing but calling it different....The overture was the short tie in on a blank screen to the main title.
3. Confused by your Agony switch as the overture was always to my knowledge the Goldsmith music to the documentary and the main title is what is used for the exit music. The Entr'acte is the same music as prior to the actual intermission. That's how I remember it and is the same as the blu ray. But I certainly can be wrong.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I also saw BECKET with an intermission in London but I don't recall whether there was any entr'acte music. I don't remember GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD having an Overture when I saw it at the London premiere but I couldn't say for sure that there wasn't one. However, the CD has no separate overture track.

The Greatest Story Ever Told’s overture was supposed to seamlessly segue into the main title music similar to My Fair Lady’s overture. Of course, George Stevens replaced Alfred Newman’s intended overture/main title (which is on the CD of Newman’s score) with an excerpt from a later cue (“Who Do Men Say That I Am” or “Come Unto Me” to use its album title) which after a very brief pause goes into the album version of Newman’s main theme.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Also, can anyone who has the blu ray of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? (I only have the DVD) confirm that the blu ray includes the exit music from the DVD?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Re: Wild Rovers.

I did rent the Wild Rovers DVD some time ago. Don't recall an Overture but do recall the intermission and Entr'acte.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I saw it listed but I never knew, did Apocalypse Now have an intermission? Even when I saw the 70mm version back in a late night screening in the 90s at Navy Pier in Chicago, it played straight through. I would assume after the boat massacre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks