What's new

Overtures, intermission, entr’acte, exit music on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
There was a title card saying "Overture" for the first run 70 millimeter engagement of The Hateful Eight. Sadly, this was a reflection on our times. The era of the Roadshow long over, younger audiences wouldn't know that this was part of the film proper rather than some generic music being played until the movie started.
I’d forgotten that, and yes, the distance of time would account for possible confusion without that at this late date.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
uncledougie you're from Dallas? I lived in Plano for a short while in the late 70s. While I was there TSOM played at the Inwood and I went to see it. It was so crowded a woman by me thought people were there actually to see Animal House. There was a poster for that movie in the lobby. Imagine my surprise and pleasure decades later when I saw online that Music had its Dallas premiere there and had a very long roadshow run. Dallas had a wonderful revival house that was a full size old movie theater not something resembling a screening room like we would have in NY. To my surprise(ok NY prejudice) Dallas was a good place to see movies.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I do not like an Overture title card, but I see why they use them. A co-worker returned two copies of Funny Girl because she thought there was something wrong with the disc. I asked her what was wrong with it. She said, "There's just music, no credits or anything. No video." I said, "That was a roadshow in 1968, it had about 5 minutes of music to set the mood before the curtain opened for the movie to start." She was very embarrassed that she had returned two perfectly good discs.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
uncledougie you're from Dallas? I lived in Plano for a short while in the late 70s. While I was there TSOM played at the Inwood and I went to see it. It was so crowded a woman by me thought people were there actually to see Animal House. There was a poster for that movie in the lobby. Imagine my surprise and pleasure decades later when I saw online that Music had its Dallas premiere there and had a very long roadshow run. Dallas had a wonderful revival house that was a full size old movie theater not something resembling a screening room like we would have in NY. To my surprise(ok NY prejudice) Dallas was a good place to see movies.
Yes indeed, a Dallas native, and it used to be a great place to experience the roadshow attractions. The Sound of Music actually had its initial Dallas run at the Inwood and ran I believe for just over a year. Hard to imagine such a thing anymore, but hit movies were “held over” as long as the BO demand lasted, and obviously The Sound of Music had multitudes of repeat patrons. The theater is still open, though the balcony was long ago remodeled into two smaller screen venues. But that’s where Camelot and Star! and Sweet Charity and many other roadshows had their local premieres.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I thought IMDB was the only major web site with incorrect info.

The Greatest Story Told
Wikipedia - "The original running time was 4 hr 20 min (260 min)."

2/6/65 preview ticket:
1664925435623.png

Newspaper ad:
1664925578839.png

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes indeed, a Dallas native, and it used to be a great place to experience the roadshow attractions. The Sound of Music actually had its initial Dallas run at the Inwood and ran I believe for just over a year. Hard to imagine such a thing anymore, but hit movies were “held over” as long as the BO demand lasted, and obviously The Sound of Music had multitudes of repeat patrons. The theater is still open, though the balcony was long ago remodeled into two smaller screen venues. But that’s where Camelot and Star! and Sweet Charity and many other roadshows had their local premieres.
91 weeks at the Inwood.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen

The Greatest Story Told

2/6/65 preview ticket:
View attachment 156232
Newspaper ad:
View attachment 156235
The longer time is attributed to a preview length. Original premiere is the 3hr 41minutes plus intermission length. Though I found the premiere length to be quite long I would look forward to seeing it again.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The longer time is attributed to a preview length. Original premiere is the 3hr 41minutes plus intermission length. Though I found the premiere length to be quite long I would look forward to seeing it again.

2/6/65 was a preview for United Artists employees.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug

The Greatest Story Told

2/6/65 preview ticket:
View attachment 156232
Newspaper ad:
View attachment 156235
My understanding is the film had multiple lengths due to director Stevens tinkering with it, probably under studio pressure, so the varying running times aren’t necessarily incorrect, depending on the time frame of when an audience saw it during early previews, its initial first run roadshow engagements, up to the loathsome cut that took it under 2 1/2 hours. I do believe Stevens initially intended the film to run over four hours, which United Artists nixed.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My understanding is the film had multiple lengths due to director Stevens tinkering with it, probably under studio pressure, so the varying running times aren’t necessarily incorrect, depending on the time frame of when an audience saw it during early previews, its initial first run roadshow engagements, up to the loathsome cut that took it under 2 1/2 hours. I do believe Stevens initially intended the film to run over four hours, which United Artists nixed.

No movie theatre in a preview showed a 260 minute version. Let me know when you find the date and theatre.

1664927127499.png

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
No movie theatre in a preview showed a 260 minute version. Let me know when you find the date and theatre.

View attachment 156238
I’ve never heard that it was shown at that length, may have just been an early rough cut. It was notoriously long in production and troubled, and George Stevens it was said never recovered from the trauma of finalizing and getting it released. I did see his follow up and final film, The Only Game in Town (1970), but other than my movie going high school BFF, don’t know anyone else who did.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
91 weeks at the Inwood.
Possibly a local record. I lived about 20 miles south but didn’t move to Dallas until Summer of 1967, so always had access to Dallas theater venues; I ended up about 6 miles north of the Inwood. But with that timing in mind, it likely was immediately followed by Hawaii, also of course starring Julie Andrews, since I know it played the Inwood as well. To be sure, that film didn’t play nearly as long there.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Hawaii had its world premiere at the DeMille in Times Square in Oct '66. I remember being wowed by that 3D wraparound billboard of the artwork the DeMille had. By the summer of '67 it was playing at suburban drive ins. Children under 12 free, which I was. A lifetime ago.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Longewst day in its original and reissue release, ithad an intermission, missing from both the fox dvd and blu ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did see his follow up and final film, The Only Game in Town (1970), but other than my movie going high school BFF, don’t know anyone else who did.
I did and I also have the Twilight Time Blu-ray disc.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Star! and Paint Your Wagon, sadly, are not on blu ray. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe the Kino blu ray of The Lion In Winter has the intermission. Does the current blu ray of Greatest Story Ever Told have all four (overture, intermission, entr'acte, exit music)?
I don't see Paint Your Wagon hitting blu, unless maybe with Ensign Pulver and Camelot in a "Bombs of Joshua Logan" collection.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Thomas T said:
Does the current blu ray of Greatest Story Ever Told have all four (overture, intermission, entr'acte, exit music)?

Yes.

The picture is pretty bad but the sound is better.

1664994744859.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks