What's new

PHE Press Release: The Ten Commandments (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CELEBRATING ITS 65TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR, CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC ARRIVES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

ten.jpg

4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray™ Combo with Digital Debuts March 30, 2021 in Time for Easter

Renowned director Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic THE TEN COMMANDMENTS arrives in spectacular 4K Ultra HD for the first time on March 30, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Bringing to life the inspiring story of Moses in all its stunning glory, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has withstood the test of time. To commemorate the film’s 65th anniversary in 2021, DeMille’s groundbreaking cinematic triumph will be available to watch at home in time for Easter in sparkling 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range.

As part of the restoration done in 2010, the film was scanned in 6K and those files were the basis for this brand-new Dolby Vision version, which shows off the full beauty of the original VistaVision negative. The VistaVision format used special cameras to feed 35mm film into the camera horizontally in order to capture a wider image spread over two 35mm film frames, giving VistaVision twice the resolution of regular 35mm film. In addition, Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan. The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible.

The 4K film presentation contains an introduction by DeMille, an intermission, an overture/exit music card, and an entr’acte card, along with a DTS-HD 5.1 lossless soundtrack.

The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:
4K Ultra HD Disc
· 1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD
· Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

Blu-ray Disc™ #1
· 1956 feature film in high definition (Part 1)
· Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”
Blu-ray Disc™ #2
· 1956 feature film in high definition (Part 2)
· Newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere
· Theatrical trailers, including at 10-minute “making of” trailer

For sheer pageantry and spectacle, few motion pictures can claim to equal the splendor of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. DeMille’s last motion picture made Charlton Heston a superstar and remains an unprecedented achievement and perennial fan favorite. Filmed in Egypt and the Sinai with one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS tells the story of the life of Moses (Heston). Once favored in the Pharaoh's (Yul Brynner) household, Moses turned his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom.

# # #

About Paramount Home Entertainment
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
Street Date: March 30, 2021
U.S. Rating: G

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I Am SHOCKED ... Round up the usual suspects ...
1611258267199.png

NO 3D NO SALE :D! ... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sorry the silent version is missing.
Should have been released in time for Passover, as this story is about the first Passover.
The first night of Passover is Saturday March 27th this year. Release date is the following Tuesday.

Next question is will those who own a digital copy of the HD version of the film get a free update to the UHD version on Itunes?

Last edited:

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I’ll get this but for presentation nothing beats that magnificent limited edition Blu-ray box set.

The excellent 1 hour + making of documentary doesn’t seem to be included. On the Blu-ray box set the documentary is after the film on blu-ray disc 2. So of course those who have the blu-ray deluxe box will keep it for the documentary and the silent version, not to mention a book and replica of the commandments.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I was going to ask if the commentary is new, but I doubt it? However, I will buy this?

The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:
4K Ultra HD Disc
· 1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD

I'm sure it's the same one as before
1611282444701.png

It's from the DVD release -
1611282675214.png

I think it's old enough to drive a car in most states without a licensed driver ;) !

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Making-of documentary was uploaded to YouTube at some point. I watched it about a week ago. Of course, it may have been taken down by now, but I hadn't seen it since I first got the box set, and it was so easy to just hit play and watch rather than dragging out that big box.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Making-of documentary was uploaded to YouTube at some point. I watched it about a week ago. Of course, it may have been taken down by now, but I hadn't seen it since I first got the box set, and it was so easy to just hit play and watch rather than dragging out that big box.
It's still there, but it's kind of weird that Paramount is leaving off both the original 1923 film and the documentary for this new release. Leaving features off other releases seems to be a recurring thing with them.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For real? Just how much can you really keep improving on picture quality with more numbered K resolutions?
It's not fake news. Japan's NHK has already started production on 8K material.

Japan’s major TV broadcasters began broadcasting in ultra-high definition on satellite channels on December 1, 2018. The country’s only public broadcaster, NHK, launched 4K and 8K channels. NHK’s 8K channel operates for 12 hours (from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.) every day. Its content encompasses drama, music, documentaries, culture, and travel.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
6K? I thought 4K was be all to end all picture quality.
4k? 6k?

In this case I would presume that 6k is 4k. It’s all just bragging rights.

Turn the image one way, it’s 4k. Turn it the other, and like magic, it’s 6.

In VVLA 4k can be construed to mean 6k.

Scan a 24 x 36mm image in 4k, ie perf to perf, akin to any other roll of 35mm film, and it’s 4k.

Flip it sideways for proper viewing, and it’s 6k.

But it’s still a 4k scan.

As to possible scanning resolutions, one can go higher today, but for a 1956 5248 production - 4k is just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks