What's new

Advanced look at Thoroughly Modern Millie Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Boy, I hope next year's french release by Elephant Films don't mess with the stereo tracks. :rolleyes: This will be my second chance to get it clean. I'm going to write to Elephant about that. They take their masters from Universal. And, this is probably Universal's goof.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
As I said elsewhere, you posting in these thread will go nowhere. Post in the Kino Blu-ray discussion thread at the top of the page. NOT the new release thread, the discussion thread. Otherwise you're just yammering in the wind.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
KL posted this response on that "other site" regarding the mono segments:

"When Universal delivered the restored master to us and told us the roadshow portions were only available in mono. We released what we received from them."
Is there anything that stops someone like KL fixing an issue like this from the start? Is it breaking an agreement to make a change that actually is a correct fix?

Im not being smart Im just curious?
Being an old time and long time projectionist from an error when presentation was KING....If a print had ever arrived like this (which they never) we would have cut off the mono Overture/Entracte and played it in stereo from the LP.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Im not being smart Im just curious?
Being an old time and long time projectionist from an error when presentation was KING....If a print had ever arrived like this (which they never) we would have cut off the mono Overture/Entracte and played it in stereo from the LP.
I think someone said earlier that the Overture/Entracte/Exit music on the LP, differs from what is played in the movie. I'd have to get out my soundtrack and compare them because I'm not for sure myself.

John Skoda

Second Unit
KL posted this response on that "other site" regarding the mono segments:

"When Universal delivered the restored master to us and told us the roadshow portions were only available in mono. We released what we received from them."

I'm surprised the roadshow portions even existed in mono. How many theaters told Universal, yes, we want to run this as a roadshow, but please send us a mono print?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have watched this film on Turner Classic Movies when Julie presented it a few months ago, streamed it, watched the laserdisc, the current DVD from Universal, downloaded the film, everywhere else the overture, intermission and exit music are in stereo, beautiful full stereo. So there is no truth to the fact that they were unavailable. That DVD came out less than 10 years ago. Maybe the tracks got lost in the Universal fire, but they have the DVD all over the world for God's sake.
Here is how to contact Universal, would everyone please send them a kind note to please do a recall for history's sake, this was not how the roadshow was presented and we do have the stereo tracks readily available, I am watching them now on my DVD which I purchased months ago from Universal. I believe they did not do any kind of search for these elements which I believe they have readily available. Click below to make a complaint PLEASE:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Kino response is typical. They do not care. They clearly don't want to make any waves with Universal. If Universal said that to them up front, the obvious thing to have done would have been to check previous releases and TELL them it was stereo on the DVD - they could have taken it right from that. But when you roll over then all is lost. "We released what we received from them." What you didn't do, Kino, was have the sense to ask them to please check or investigate. I do understand that when quantity is your business model, then none of this is important to you.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Its a scam by Universal so that they can release their own disc down the line with corrected audio and everyone will buy it again. They'll do the same with Charity. What f*@# up can we expect with Flower Drum Song?

I watched the disc today and the most important thing...the image...is thoroughly satisfying.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, at least we now know that Robert Siegel has NOT posted in the Kino discussion thread on this site, and therefore he should not be surprised no one from Kino has responded. He posted on another site and that's where a couple of people took him on. I'm not sure WHY he won't post in the proper thread here - he's been given a link to it and everything.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have been working on this issue all day Haineshisway, I will post on the Kino thread here tomorrow. Imagine, people over "there" took me on and bad mouthed me because I was disgusted at Millie having mono overture, intermission and exit music when it's stereo everywhere else (Turner Classic Movies about 90 days ago), laserdisc, DVD, download and streaming. They are all stereo except on the blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I posted on the right thread now. By the way the thread I posted on the other site was the Kino insider so he did respond negatively.
Robert,

I'm sorry about what happen on that other site. We try to maintain a certain level of decorum on this forum so that everybody is treated with respect. With that said, you still might not like the answer the Insider gives you about this Blu-ray here. However, it should be done so in a respectful manner.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have some great news to share, thanks to Martin Brousseau (posting on another site) has written to Elephant Films which plans to release Thoroughly Modern Millie, and he wrote them about the problem with the U.S. release. I then also wrote them and here is the response I got.

And I quote "Hi Robert, first of all, many thanks for your message. To be honnest, we have already noticed this on the Kino Edition and we're quite sure it could be rectified on our edition. And Flower Drum Song is a nice idea, indeed ! Best."

This sounds to me like they aere willing to do the work to get the stereo tracks for the overture, intermission and exit music for Millie for their release. So for those who are down due to the U.S. version having mono, I believe we might actually get the stereo tracks for the 3 musical segments. Many thanks must go out to Martin (screen name over there is MBrousseau). Seems they also liked my suggestion to release Flower Drum Song. I think this is major news but only posted it here due to the fact that it is still just a response to several emails, and we are not 100% sure yet.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Brousseau thinks they exist even though Universal says they don't? I'm not surprised if Universal was being lazy but I'm surprised they existed in mono at all considering that they were meant for roadshow engagements which would definitely have been in stereo. Will Kino give refunds?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Brousseau thinks they exist even though Universal says they don't? I'm not surprised if Universal was being lazy but I'm surprised they existed in mono at all considering that they were meant for roadshow engagements which would definitely have been in stereo. Will Kino give refunds?
I highly doubt it. He is correct though, Elephant films also wrote to me too and said they were going to fix this, and said they were well aware of the issue. The best thing to do I think is to wait and see what Elephant Films puts out, according to them, the problem will probably be fixed and we will have stereo for the overture, intermission and exit music. Aside from this issue, The Kino version has the movie itself in a great new transfer and I don't wan to put Kino down, obviously they released what was sent to them by Universal, and I tend to think the problem is on Universal's side. So it sounds like they will be correcting it with the Elephant films release. Once it is confirmed I will sell my "mono" edition on Ebay. I do think there should have been a recall, having mono on the musical breaks from a roadshow that was mastered in 4k which were in stereo on the DVD and the most recent showings on Turner Classic Movies and the streaming and download versions, there's no reason the blu-ray should have those sections in mono. So we have to watch Elephant films and see what they are going to announce. I was given no date. Are Elephant Films region locked? I can accommodate that but just wondering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.