What's new

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Sorry but here's another of my old time anecdotes:

In 1967-68 I spent part of a pre-drama school year working in the very large HMV Record Store on London's Oxford Street.

Cassettes hadn't yet flourished but were gathering force, eight tracks were beginning and there were some reel to reel versions of the most popular LPs. But whereas all LPs were 12 inch irrespective of their running time (10 inch LPs had died out by then) many people didn't understand why a 3 3/4inch reel of tape running at 3.75 ips didn't seem to have much tape and frequently looked like half a reel.

We all tried to explain that there was enough tape for the recording and it ran for the same time as the LP but there was widespread suspicion. That could have something to do with why they died out as unless you looked at cassettes very carefully, because the actual cassette was standard, it wasn't obvious to the astonishingly untechnical that the amount of tape varied according to the length of the programme.

I can't remember where I bought it but I had a 7.5 ips 1/4 track stereo of HOW THE WEST WAS WON and it sounded terrific.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Finally received my copy today as it was bundled with the restored Hunchback direct from Kino. The picture is so much improved from the DVD though in the opening number the flesh tones are lacking in the red spectrum but I think it’s just bad makeup everyone looks overly pancaked. But once MTM arrives it’s spot on. Andre Previn’s orchestrations sound marvelous as always. Great film though MTM IMO is miscast and drags it down- and I luv MTM.
And glad to see the Overture picture used has the cherry red hat w the Bob Peak signature.
Only gripe is why do some discs like this one have chapters yet not a chapter menu. Can it be that much more expensive to add that to a disc if you’ve added actual chapters?? Sloppy IMO.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Finally received my copy today as it was bundled with the restored Hunchback direct from Kino. The picture is so much improved from the DVD though in the opening number the flesh tones are lacking in the red spectrum but I think it’s just bad makeup everyone looks overly pancaked. But once MTM arrives it’s spot on. Andre Previn’s orchestrations sound marvelous as always. Great film though MTM IMO is miscast and drags it down- and I luv MTM.
And glad to see the Overture picture used has the cherry red hat w the Bob Peak signature.
Only gripe is why do some discs like this one have chapters yet not a chapter menu. Can it be that much more expensive to add that to a disc if you’ve added actual chapters?? Sloppy IMO.

Kino's leaving off the chapter menu option from all their recent releases, for whatever reason.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wouldn't say MTM drags the picture down the part is underwritten and she's very pretty which is pretty much all she needs to be. She plays against Andrews very nicely and they make an attractive pair.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I wouldn't say MTM drags the picture down the part is underwritten and she's very pretty which is pretty much all she needs to be. She plays against Andrews very nicely and they make an attractive pair.
I respectively disagree. She’s playing a demure young lady and she’s barely convincing as to the demure aspect and I’ll leave at that.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Exactly, she's PLAYING a demure young lady but she in fact comes from a rich sophisticated background which the movie gives clues to and in the final scene where all is explained she has an assurance not exhibited previously.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I always thought it was a good performance of a sophisticated young lady pretending to be unaware of the ways of the big city, but also, being somewhat spoiled, taking advantage of every one around her. Millie saw through this and recognized the real person beneath. Holy crap! Was this heavy and we all never realized it?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
My copy arrived today and it looks really fantastic, very film like.

Out of courtesy to the household, I used earphones - and to my surprise (and disappointment) the Overture, Intermission music and Exit music are mono. I double-checked the DVD, and those three segments are stereo there. Ah well.
I noticed that as well. Strange. That is my only disappointment, as the rest was a delight.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I just ordered and received TMM from Kino this week.
On the copy I received, everything on the DTS HD MA track is stereo, including the Overture, Entre Acte, Walkout music. Just to be sure, I put the 2 channel DTS audio into Reaper and looked at the actual wave forms and VU meters and they (and my ears) confirm that the segments in question are definitely not mono.

My copy shipped from Technicolor in Lavergne TN, so I suspect KL has had the disk re-mastered with the proper audio.

Please ignore the above, as I did not do my research and find out that what most were calling "mono" was in fact electronically re-channeled for stereo.

To echo previous comments, the image is truly beautiful, likely better than it ever looked in a theatre. (opticals in the plane sequence excluded from this comment as they never looked convincing).

Viewed with a JVC RS57 projector at 54"x100" from 8 1/2 feet.

Last edited:

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
On the copy I received, everything on the DTS HD MA track is stereo, including the Overture, Entre Acte, Walkout music. Just to be sure, I put the 2 channel DTS audio into Reaper and looked at the actual wave forms and VU meters and they (and my ears) confirm that the segments in question are definitely not mono.

My copy shipped from Technicolor in Lavergne TN, so I suspect KL has had the disk re-mastered with the proper audio.

To echo previous comments, the image is truly beautiful, likely better than it ever looked in a theatre. (opticals in the plane sequence excluded from this comment as they never looked convincing).

The Overture, entr'acte and exit music is definitely monophonic on my copy. I wonder if KINO made a correction on later copies. Is there any way to get a repalcement?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure why they would have pressed new copies. As far as I recall, they've never admitted there was any problem and also claimed the first batch of discs they pressed weren't selling well enough to need to make more.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I'm guessing you don't have the original DVD where, if you were to compare you would hear real stereo separation on those segments, whereas the Blu-ray is just stereo-enhanced from a mono source. I figured somebody other than me would notice that it wasn't completely mono but enhanced stereo, which is why most reviewers never even noticed it wasn't true stereo.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I'm not sure either. I had originally ordered it from amazon, and they delayed my order. Coincidentally, the day I received the Kino disk, Amazon cancelled my order.

Disk Info:
(Outer ring) (1172865) BVDL 1541880 01E 01001 IFPILV79
(Inner ring) (1172866) BVDL 1541880 01E 01001 IFPILV79

(Almost went blind trying to read that info) :D

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I'm guessing you don't have the original DVD where, if you were to compare you would hear real stereo separation on those segments, whereas the Blu-ray is just stereo-enhanced from a mono source. I figured somebody other than me would notice that it wasn't completely mono but enhanced stereo, which is why most reviewers never even noticed it wasn't true stereo.
I do have the DVD and you are right. Everyone else was/is calling it a mono mix, so when I watched it and the sound stage was spread out I made a bad assumption.
Listening to it on headphones It does sound like an enhanced for stereo mix. My bad....

Sorry for the confusion, we now return you to our regular programming.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
The Overture, entr'acte and exit music is definitely monophonic on my copy. I wonder if KINO made a correction on later copies. Is there any way to get a repalcement?
Please note my updated post. Sorry for the confusion.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I'm not sure why they would have pressed new copies. As far as I recall, they've never admitted there was any problem and also claimed the first batch of discs they pressed weren't selling well enough to need to make more.
This is all so confusing.
Please note my updated post. Sorry for the
I do have the DVD and you are right. Everyone else was/is calling it a mono mix, so when I watched it and the sound stage was spread out I made a bad assumption.
Listening to it on headphones It does sound like an enhanced for stereo mix. My bad....

I just revisited the Blu-ray and you are right. The segments in question are not discrete stereo but enhanced mono. Still very strange as the DVD has discrete stereo tracks. Oh, well. I feel a little better now and I’m not going to pursue this. It’s still a great disc.

I still am very disappointed in The Opposite Sex faux pas which is not being addressed by WAC.

John Skoda

Second Unit
It does make you wonder how the people in charge of the individual discs could make such a goof.

I have no way of knowing this, but my guess is people working on these discs are so young they've never even seen a roadshow film and probably wonder why there's music at the beginning with no picture!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
On my 35mm Technicolor print all the walk-in, intermission and walkout music is in mono despite the fact that is a magnetic stereo print. No surround, just LCR channels on the actual movie. The extra music is on optical tracks, not magnetic tracks.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Why would a 35 MM print have those in mono when the film itself is in stereo? What can be the explanation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks