What's new

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am really, really excited about having the opportunity to watch TWWOTBG for the first time this week. Will have my copy in hand tomorrow.

Of course, there is a huge level of curiosity over the smilebox presentation. The last film I saw in this format was HOW THE WEST WAS WON and WB did a really incredible job with that title.

I have been instructed to watch the restoration documentary on the 2nd disc prior to watching the film.
Same here. I got my shipping notice for delivery tomorrow. I will be watching it tomorrow night.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am really, really excited about having the opportunity to watch TWWOTBG for the first time this week. Will have my copy in hand tomorrow.

Of course, there is a huge level of curiosity over the smilebox presentation. The last film I saw in this format was HOW THE WEST WAS WON and WB did a really incredible job with that title.

I have been instructed to watch the restoration documentary on the 2nd disc prior to watching the film.
Same here. I got my shipping notice for delivery tomorrow. I will be watching it tomorrow night.
The same here, I will have my copy in-hand tomorrow. I might watch "A Star is Born" first, but this Blu-ray will be viewed this week.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Glenn Kenny gave it a great review on his blog:

Boy, can you imagine trying to get away with a two-hour-and-20-minute CHILDREN’S MOVIE nowadays? I mean, I guess if you consider MCU pictures to be children’s movies, it happens all the time, but I mean this sort of thing — a full on fairy-story anthology cum pasteurized biopic. Come on. And it was a hit back in 1962. Maybe it was the Cinerama? Laurence Harvey as plays one bro, Karl Boehm is the other. Man, Boehm was lucky to get this part after Peeping Tom, huh? The biopic part depicts the bro grammarians being upbraided for their dry output and soon discovering the joys of entertainment for kids which is also folklore. This is a great presentation of the kind of movie they really do not make any more AT ALL. The color! The lighting! The steadfast avoidance of close-ups of even standard medium shots because of the Cinerama dimensions! It’s a really unusual mix of the cinematic and theatrical. One that reveals its co-director George Pal as one of the truest inheritors of Melies. This is a two-disc set, one presenting the Cinerama image in “Smilebox” format, and if you haven’t looked at such a thing in a while, it takes a little getting used to. And even the standard widescreen version presents the implication of a Cinerama curve, of course. Among its diverse components, the movie offers Terry Thomas AND Buddy Hackett in the same sequence. And they’re both excellent. And the dragon they battle is a cool dragon bro. A picture of considerable charm when you come down to it. And damn, those cobbler’s elves puppets. — A+

TimatTheExtras

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Millard
For those interested in hearing directly from "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" Restorers Dave Strohmaier and Tom March, you can check out my recent podcast with them https://www.theextras.tv/podcasts/blog-post-grimm-32722. There are also a few images on the website from their excellent documentary that is a part of the Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam991
Recent bookmarks