What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am really, really excited about having the opportunity to watch TWWOTBG for the first time this week. Will have my copy in hand tomorrow.

Of course, there is a huge level of curiosity over the smilebox presentation. The last film I saw in this format was HOW THE WEST WAS WON and WB did a really incredible job with that title.

I have been instructed to watch the restoration documentary on the 2nd disc prior to watching the film.
Same here. I got my shipping notice for delivery tomorrow. I will be watching it tomorrow night.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am really, really excited about having the opportunity to watch TWWOTBG for the first time this week. Will have my copy in hand tomorrow.

Of course, there is a huge level of curiosity over the smilebox presentation. The last film I saw in this format was HOW THE WEST WAS WON and WB did a really incredible job with that title.

I have been instructed to watch the restoration documentary on the 2nd disc prior to watching the film.
Same here. I got my shipping notice for delivery tomorrow. I will be watching it tomorrow night.
The same here, I will have my copy in-hand tomorrow. I might watch "A Star is Born" first, but this Blu-ray will be viewed this week.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Glenn Kenny gave it a great review on his blog:

Boy, can you imagine trying to get away with a two-hour-and-20-minute CHILDREN’S MOVIE nowadays? I mean, I guess if you consider MCU pictures to be children’s movies, it happens all the time, but I mean this sort of thing — a full on fairy-story anthology cum pasteurized biopic. Come on. And it was a hit back in 1962. Maybe it was the Cinerama? Laurence Harvey as plays one bro, Karl Boehm is the other. Man, Boehm was lucky to get this part after Peeping Tom, huh? The biopic part depicts the bro grammarians being upbraided for their dry output and soon discovering the joys of entertainment for kids which is also folklore. This is a great presentation of the kind of movie they really do not make any more AT ALL. The color! The lighting! The steadfast avoidance of close-ups of even standard medium shots because of the Cinerama dimensions! It’s a really unusual mix of the cinematic and theatrical. One that reveals its co-director George Pal as one of the truest inheritors of Melies. This is a two-disc set, one presenting the Cinerama image in “Smilebox” format, and if you haven’t looked at such a thing in a while, it takes a little getting used to. And even the standard widescreen version presents the implication of a Cinerama curve, of course. Among its diverse components, the movie offers Terry Thomas AND Buddy Hackett in the same sequence. And they’re both excellent. And the dragon they battle is a cool dragon bro. A picture of considerable charm when you come down to it. And damn, those cobbler’s elves puppets. — A+

TimatTheExtras

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Millard
For those interested in hearing directly from "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" Restorers Dave Strohmaier and Tom March, you can check out my recent podcast with them https://www.theextras.tv/podcasts/blog-post-grimm-32722. There are also a few images on the website from their excellent documentary that is a part of the Blu-ray release.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
After watching the Blue Ray several times in both modes "flat and Smile" I am wishing instead of offering the flat version that they had instead used a cinemascope print like would have been used in general release after the film completed it's road show run. The current picture is so wide, it is short on height and looks small on every screen I've tried it on. A cinemascope print was probably pan and scan rather than cutting off the actions on far right or left. I remember seeing the film in cinemascope as a kid and really enjoyed it. This is a kids movie and to get young people (preteens) to watch it..the picture should be a reasonable viewable size.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
After watching the Blue Ray several times in both modes "flat and Smile" I am wishing instead of offering the flat version that they had instead used a cinemascope print like would have been used in general release after the film completed it's road show run. The current picture is so wide, it is short on height and looks small on every screen I've tried it on. A cinemascope print was probably pan and scan rather than cutting off the actions on far right or left. I remember seeing the film in cinemascope as a kid and really enjoyed it. This is a kids movie and to get young people (preteens) to watch it..the picture should be a reasonable viewable size.
That’s three threads you’ve posted this on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Reasonable viewing size.

😆😂😂😆😆😂😂😅😅😅

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have bigger issues with how it was filmed - has a stupidly huge fish-eye effect that I find overly distracting. That one little photographic choice makes it practically unwatchable for me.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Reasonable viewing size.

😆😂😂😆😆😂😂😅😅😅
No, the 35mm print certainly wasn't P&S, they just cut off the sides. And it looked like crap as well. 2.85:1 was the intended projection aspect ratio.

Last edited:

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I have bigger issues with how it was filmed - has a stupidly huge fish-eye effect that I find overly distracting. That one little photographic choice makes it practically unwatchable for me.
You're apparently forgetting that it was filmed with three cameras for projection on a deeply curved screen....

How_Cinerama_is_projected.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You're apparently forgetting that it was filmed with three cameras for projection on a deeply curved screen....

View attachment 148351
Not at all - it's just that "fish eye" look is incredibly predominate on Brothers Grimm. I own a copy of How the West was Won - it doesn't have that look at all on the "flat" presentation. It might be on the "Smile Box" version but I don't particularly care for that and never watch it that way as I can't place myself in the proper location for such a presentation. Brothers Grimm looks better (less of a "fish eye" look) on the "Smile Box" version but still has that effect enough for it to be distracting for me which tells me it was intentionally filmed to achieve that look.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
No, the 35mm print certainly wasn't P&S, they just cut off the sides. And it looked like crap as well. 2.85:1 was the intended projection aspect ratio.

2.6 was the 3-panel Cinerama AR. 2.85 is the AR for the letterboxed image on the Blu-ray. The Able and Charlie projectors would crop the sides a bit on a Cinerama screen.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
2.6 was the 3-panel Cinerama AR. 2.85 is the AR for the letterboxed image on the Blu-ray. The Able and Charlie projectors would crop the sides a bit on a Cinerama screen.
The actual amount of crop was somewhat dependent on the specific installation. But you are correct, I should have said that the combined ABC prints' AR was ~ 2.85:1. I do crop the sides a bit in my HT to fit my 2.65:1 screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks