Douglas R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
I saw it listed but I never knew, did Apocalypse Now have an intermission? Even when I saw the 70mm version back in a late night screening in the 90s at Navy Pier in Chicago, it played straight through. I would assume after the boat massacre.
I saw it in New York when it first opened and it had an intermission.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Derek
The Original 70mm version that ran in London did not have an intermission.

Richard V

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Richard
I think 55 Days at Peking qualifies

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Apocalypse Now did not have an intermission when I saw it during its original run in NY C Ziegfeld Theater.

Joe Caps

Cinematographer
Reaction score
ronston films - on the us dvds the end of Act one for Fall of Roman Empire and 55 days at peking is missing the intermission s;ug and accompanying music. both these short pieces are on various soundtrack cds and would be easy to add to the videos.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well clearly the fade to black before Do Lung was intended to be an intermission point. Perhaps an optional one originally but it was definitely required on Redux.

EDIT: It appears this is the case. Either way the 15 seconds of black in between the Sampan Attack and Do Lung Bridge is meant to be an intermission.

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Reaction score
Well clearly the fade to black before Do Lung was intended to be an intermission point. Perhaps an optional one originally but it was definitely required on Redux.

EDIT: It appears this is the case. Either way the 15 seconds of black in between the Sampan Attack and Do Lung Bridge is meant to be an intermission.
That's where I do an intermission on Redux. It's obvious that an intermission should be at that point. Redux works with a 15 minute intermission at that point.

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Reaction score
I would like Oliver Stone to reissue JFK with an intermission. He has said there should be an intermission and it would come after Jim Garrison's (Kevin Costner) meeting with X (Donald Sutherland).

Reactions: Richard V

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Whenever we get Sweet Charity stateside, I sure do hope that Universal will reinstate its Entr'acte.
Every drop of Ralph Burns work is a treasure.
The laserdisc of Sweet Charity had Exit Music also. Oddly enough, the laserdisc of Thoroughly Modern Millie did NOT have Exit Music, but the DVD does.

Reactions: Thomas T and PMF

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Most early sound Fox films included exit music which my wife and I called the musical coda to the film. I think it was a throwback to the time when live orchestras played during silent films and they played a while longer while the hall emptied out.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A Streetcar Named Desire story. Sometime in the mid '90s, Dallas enjoyed a revival of Roadshow pictures, and I took my children to these so they could have the "Roadshow" experience, much as I had has as a child of the '50s. Curtains,overture, intermission, entr'acte, exit music. Everything! My son, who must have been about 14 at the time, hated overtures. He was fine with the rest of the experience. So we went to see Streetcar and I told him that at least he should be happy for there should be no overture. This print was running for a week at a first run theater; it was a pristine 35mm print. The curtains were closed and lo and behold!, an overture started playing, unmistakably Alex North's music. I groaned because I had just "broken" my promise to my son! Now, I had seen Streetcar many times in NYC in many prints but had never heard an overture or had heard OF an overture. But as the overture ended, the curtains parted and the familiar WB shield appeared and the familiar musical strains with it.
I have never heard this music ever again, it has never shown up in any home video release, but there it is. That's my story and my children and I are witnesses to it.

Reactions: Thomas T

Wayne_j

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Wayne
The Rent intermission was probably in for the Fathom like event that they had for it and they didn't bother to remove it. I went to the event and people used it for an actual intermission.

Peter Apruzzese

Producer
Reaction score
Website
Www.bigscreenclassics.com
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
A Streetcar Named Desire story. Sometime in the mid '90s, Dallas enjoyed a revival of Roadshow pictures, and I took my children to these so they could have the "Roadshow" experience, much as I had has as a child of the '50s. Curtains,overture, intermission, entr'acte, exit music. Everything! My son, who must have been about 14 at the time, hated overtures. He was fine with the rest of the experience. So we went to see Streetcar and I told him that at least he should be happy for there should be no overture. This print was running for a week at a first run theater; it was a pristine 35mm print. The curtains were closed and lo and behold!, an overture started playing, unmistakably Alex North's music. I groaned because I had just "broken" my promise to my son! Now, I had seen Streetcar many times in NYC in many prints but had never heard an overture or had heard OF an overture. But as the overture ended, the curtains parted and the familiar WB shield appeared and the familiar musical strains with it.
I have never heard this music ever again, it has never shown up in any home video release, but there it is. That's my story and my children and I are witnesses to it.
There's always the chance it was the theatre doing something on their own. I used to do that from time to time when I was projecting my repertory shows, but usually just exit music. I remember digging up a copy of the Vera Cruz vocal and played it after the end credits of the picture. What was interesting was that the main titles refer to the song, but it's never heard in the movie.

I even added an overture to Mission: Impossible 3's opening night show, playing the rock version of the theme (as presented on the soundtrack of the 1st movie), which actually got applause when the curtains opened.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Anybody know if they took breaks on the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions when those were all shown on Trilogy Tuesday?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim