What's new

Overtures, intermission, entr’acte, exit music on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ah, I've never found Monty Python remotely amusing myself. That intermission joke confirms my general dislike for them. :) I left the exit music entry or is that fake too?:huh:

One probably needs a warped sense of humor and have grown up with British humor through television, as I do/did. I love HOLY GRAIL, including the intermission. Not to hijack a thread I am glad has appeared, MPATHG is a wicked satire of class, pomposity, all movies set in medieval days that depict medieval knights in shining armor, which this film debunks rather well, actually. It probably presents a more believable simulation of what that period might actually have looked like than, say, IVANHOE or KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE. GRAIL shows us a world full of poverty, mud, disease, and superstition, which gives the film a rather serious undercurrent if you look beneath the slapstick and crude verbal gags. Anyway, you and I don't agree on this one.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
One probably needs a warped sense of humor and have grown up with British humor through television, as I do/did. I love HOLY GRAIL, including the intermission. Not to hijack a thread I am glad has appeared, MPATHG is a wicked satire of class, pomposity, all movies set in medieval days that depict medieval knights in shining armor, which this film debunks rather well, actually. It probably presents a more believable simulation of what that period might actually have looked like than, say, IVANHOE or KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE. GRAIL shows us a world full of poverty, mud, disease, and superstition, which gives the film a rather serious undercurrent if you look beneath the slapstick and crude verbal gags. Anyway, you and I don't agree on this one.
But ...
871[1].gif
;)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
There are three cuts of Kingdom of Heaven: Theatrical (145min), Director's (190min) and Director's Cut Roadshow, which retains the overture, intermission, and exit music (194min). The original BD just has the Director's Cut and a trailer; the Ultimate Edition BD has all three cuts via seamless branching, audio commentaries and trivia tracks. On a second disc the latter has all the copious, differing extras from the 2-DVD Theatrical and 4-DVD Director's Cut sets.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I have the DVD of Gandhi too and I assume the intermission and entr'acte have been ported but as others have noted that's not always the case so I'm waiting for "official" confirmation from someone who actually has the blu :) I like Gandhi well enough but not enough to upgrade to blu.
The Gandhi DVD was excellent, one of the best I've seen. I did upgrade but the Blu-ray disc is not a major improvement.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Humor is subjective and you and I can go back and forth all day on what is and isn't funny. What it boils down to is that we simply don't have the same sense of humor. I also can't stand Laurel & Hardy, the Three Stooges or W.C. Fields. On the other hand, Abbott & Costello, Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis have me in stitches. It's all good. Live and let laugh I say! :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There are three cuts of Kingdom of Heaven: Theatrical (145min), Director's (190min) and Director's Cut Roadshow, which retains the overture, intermission, and exit music (194min). The original BD just has the Director's Cut and a trailer; the Ultimate Edition BD has all three cuts via seamless branching, audio commentaries and trivia tracks. On a second disc the latter has all the copious, differing extras from the 2-DVD Theatrical and 4-DVD Director's Cut sets.

I wasn't aware of the ultimate edition blu ray or I would have purchased that instead. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ... when I attempted to update the master list on the original post I noticed the Edit feature is gone. Is this a temporary malfunction or does the HTF have a limit on the amount of times a post can be edited?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ... when I attempted to update the master list on the original post I noticed the Edit feature is gone. Is this a temporary malfunction or does the HTF have a limit on the amount of times a post can be edited?
It may have changed but I believe that if you contact an admin, they can make it so you can edit your old post. Otherwise, I think the limit to edit is 24 hours.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It may have changed but I believe that if you contact an admin, they can make it so you can edit your old post. Otherwise, I think the limit to edit is 24 hours.

Thanks, Travis. I've contacted the admins. We'll see what happens.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Until (or if) the admins allow the edit feature. I'll post any additions to the master list right here:

Big Trail (exit music)
Hamlet (1997) (intermission)
Kingdom Of Heaven (overture, intermission, exit music)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (overture)

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I stand to be corrected but I believe the intermission point is around the 1:28 mark when Peter O'Toole is on the castle's roof top and sinks to the ground. John Barry's score rises and simultaneously the camera rises to give us a birds eye shot of Henry cowering ... intermission.

However, some theaters are notorious for putting an intermission in a different place if it suits them. When If first saw Spartacus, the intermission came at a different spot than originally intended and replicated in its home video incarnations. I saw Gandhi twice during its opening week. The first time in Century City where it played without an intermission and the second time at a Hollywood venue where it played with an intermission.

Speaking of which, does anyone have Gandhi on blu ray? Is the intermission and entr'acte replicated?

You are correct with the placement of the Lion in Winter intermission. That's how I saw it way back in it's original Roadshow run in NYC

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Although I listed the overture and intermission replicated in the R2 French release of Sweet Charity (no domestic release) on blu ray, they've eliminated the original roadshow entr'acte.
Whenever we get Sweet Charity stateside, I sure do hope that Universal will reinstate its Entr'acte.
Every drop of Ralph Burns work is a treasure.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I figure that there's one collective Holy Grail that Thomas T and Dick can agree on;
and that's for the reinstatement of every existing Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit Music ever put to film.
Right?:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You are correct with the placement of the Lion in Winter intermission. That's how I saw it way back in it's original Roadshow run in NYC

Thanks for the confirmation that my memory is still intact! It's scary how I can remember details about a movie I saw 50 years ago but can't remember what I had for dinner last night. :(

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the confirmation that my memory is still intact! It's scary how I can remember details about a movie I saw 50 years ago but can't remember what I had for dinner last night. :(

Welcome to the geriatric club, Thomas. It's lots of fun here, and you're gonna love it.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I believe that the Twilight Time Blu-ray of Khartoum has the Exit Music as well as the Overture and the Intermission/Entr'Acte.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Funny, I can still remember the dinners from 1990-1 that were cooked for me by my ex-girlfriend;
which, in turn, is exactly why she became my ex-girlfriend.:D

File Under: Swanson and Swan Songs.:cool:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Edited by PMF;
cited a DVD by mistake

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks