GlennF

Second Unit
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Glenn Frost
And, for what it is worth, Fiddler on the Roof has an entr'acte and Scrooge only has the exit music left. The overture never made it from the DVD to the Blu-ray. Too bad.

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ah, I've never found Monty Python remotely amusing myself. That intermission joke confirms my general dislike for them. :) I left the exit music entry or is that fake too?:huh:
Exit music is legit. The film famously ends abruptly and the same Fats Waller organ tune from the intermission gag just plays over a black screen for 2 minutes.

Speaking of which, does anyone have Gandhi on blu ray? Is the intermission and entr'acte replicated?
Don't have the blu-ray but the 25th anniversary dvd which I believe is the same transfer does have the intermission and entr'acte music intact.

Also Apocalypse Now has an intermission break and brief entr'acte. No card donating it as such though.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Don't have the blu-ray but the 25th anniversary dvd which I believe is the same transfer does have the intermission and entr'acte music intact. Also Apocalypse Now has an intermission break and brief entr'acte. No card donating it as such though.
Yes, I have the DVD of Gandhi too and I assume the intermission and entr'acte have been ported but as others have noted that's not always the case so I'm waiting for "official" confirmation from someone who actually has the blu :) I like Gandhi well enough but not enough to upgrade to blu.

Douglas R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
Star! and Paint Your Wagon, sadly, are not on blu ray. I stand to be corrected by I don't believe the Kino blu ray of The Lion In Winter has the intermission. Does the current blu ray of Greatest Story Ever Told have all four (overture, intermission, entr'acte, exit music)?
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD never had an Overture, although the Main Title music begins with a blank screen for about 30 seconds. It does have Intermission, Entr'Acte and Exit Music.

Reactions: Thomas T

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All disc versions of “2001” also include the exit music.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
I stand to be corrected but I believe the intermission point is around the 1:28 mark when Peter O'Toole is on the castle's roof top and sinks to the ground. John Barry's score rises and simultaneously the camera rises to give us a birds eye shot of Henry cowering ... intermission.

However, some theaters are notorious for putting an intermission in a different place if it suits them. When If first saw Spartacus, the intermission came at a different spot than originally intended and replicated in its home video incarnations. I saw Gandhi twice during its opening week. The first time in Century City where it played without an intermission and the second time at a Hollywood venue where it played with an intermission.

Speaking of which, does anyone have Gandhi on blu ray? Is the intermission and entr'acte replicated?
The Spartacus intermission was teased in multiples scenes. I placed it where Mr. Kubrick requested that I do so.

Reactions: PMF and B-ROLL

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
And FWIW I do remember the Gandhi intermission at Century City.
Curious. I distinctly recall being surprised when the intermission came at the Hollywood theater since I had seen it 5 days earlier at the Century City location without the intermission. I'm not implying you're wrong but that we're both correct as to our experience.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
The Spartacus intermission was teased in multiples scenes. I placed it where Mr. Kubrick requested that I do so.
It's been some years (I think I was 11 possibly 12 :eek:) since I first Spartacus and if my memory serves me correctly, the intermission occurred right after a shot of Kirk Douglas and Jean Simmons leaving camp and walking off into the forest together. This was a bit before the approved intermission. I guess the theater management was too eager to sell more popcorn.

Although I listed the overture and intermission replicated in the R2 French release of Sweet Charity (no domestic release) on blu ray, they've eliminated the original roadshow entr'acte.

Last edited:

Eric Bodnar

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Eric Bodnar
Reds (1981), Fanny and Alexander (1983), and A Star is Born (1954) all have intermission cards.
I believe the roadshow of Kingdom of Heaven was also released on Blu-ray.
Becket (1964) is interesting in that there is no overture or intermission. It's actually discussed on the commentary that the producer resisted an intermission. There are however several fade-to-blacks during the film - at key moments - where an intermission could have easily been included. Lost Horizon (1973) and 1776 (1972) also have blackouts at crucial intervals which make me think both films were originally envisioned as roadshow presentations. Of course that was mostly going away in the early seventies.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Reds (1981), Fanny and Alexander (1983), and A Star is Born (1954) all have intermission cards.
I believe the roadshow of Kingdom of Heaven was also released on Blu-ray.
Becket (1964) is interesting in that there is no overture or intermission. It's actually discussed on the commentary that the producer resisted an intermission. There are however several fade-to-blacks during the film - at key moments - where an intermission could have easily been included. Lost Horizon (1973) and 1776 (1972) also have blackouts at crucial intervals which make me think both films were originally envisioned as roadshow presentations. Of course that was mostly going away in the early seventies.
I watched the 1973 Lost Horizon again last week and yes, I did notice an obvious spot for an intermission. As to Kingdom Of Heaven, I do have the longer "roadshow" director's cut on blu ray but they have eliminated the overture, intermission, entr'acte that was present on the DVD version. Go figure!

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Blu-ray of Rent Filmed Live On Broadway includes the 15-minute intermission, which doesn't have music and is an oscreen countdown until the show starts again. I get that it was filmed live, but it seems weird and extraneous on Blu-ray, so I almost always chapter skip past it. All of the other live stage productions I have on Blu-ray usually just include a brief title card where the intermission is but don't actually give you 15 minutes.

Reactions: Thomas T

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Charles Smith
Curious. I distinctly recall being surprised when the intermission came at the Hollywood theater since I had seen it 5 days earlier at the Century City location without the intermission. I'm not implying you're wrong but that we're both correct as to our experience.
Or it might have gotten changed at some point.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Jake's observation of the intermission on the filmed Rent Live on blu ray brings up a question. Should I include filmed theatrical productions (as opposed to film versions of plays and musicals) on blu ray for completion's sake or restrict it to theatrical films? Any opinions?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's been some years (I think I was 11 possibly 12 :eek:) since I first Spartacus and if my memory serves me correctly, the intermission occurred right after a shot of Kirk Douglas and Jean Simmons leaving camp and walking off into the forest together. This was a bit before the approved intermission. I guess the theater management was too eager to sell more popcorn.

Although I listed the overture and intermission replicated in the R2 French release of Sweet Charity (no domestic release) on blu ray, they've eliminated the original roadshow entr'acte.
The alternate was “camp tonight by the sea!”

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
Which is absolutely the best place it could be. Same with 2001.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMartin58