What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only differentiating factor I can think of, is that the original individual season 10 dvd set used older transfers which looked like they might not have been in HD resolution. It looks significantly worse than the other seasons.

Allegedly the H5O complete series dvd sets used newer HD resolution transfers for the season 10 discs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting about the 10th season JR. Well, I don’t think I’ll buy the complete series box for that. Hopefully a blu ray will come out and then I’d invest in that.

I had another look at the Paramount+ stream and while there was some macro blocking going on, it did look noticeably sharper then the DVD. And the episode description noted it was HD. So maybe the series is already mastered for HD. I hope like Mission Impossible, H5O gets the blu ray treatment.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I own the HD versions on Apple and VUDU, and they look better than they do on Paramount +. I think they’re the same remastered transfers, but I suspect they are streamed at a higher bitrate on the VUDU and Apple services. I stream using an Apple TV using a new Samsung 4K TV, so I suspect it also adds lines of resolution to the picture. In any case, I think they are a significant improvement over the SD DVDs, and would benefit greatly from a blu-ray release.

A friend of mine reached out directly to Ken Ross at CBS DVD in 2018 and asked about a 50th anniversary blu-Ray release, and was told they were considering it in some form, but obviously nothing came to fruition in time. Probably the failures of other blu-ray releases at the time (Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy) didn’t help matters.

If M:I was successful on blu-Ray, hopefully they will consider a H5O release but I wouldn’t hold my breath. The studios have gutted their home entertainment divisions in the last 6 months as cost-cutting measures, there are many more seasons (and discs needed) for a H5O complete series release, and M:I had the benefit of the wildly popular Tom Cruise theatrical features to boost recognition. Still, never say never!

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Interesting about the 10th season JR. Well, I don’t think I’ll buy the complete series box for that. Hopefully a blu ray will come out and then I’d invest in that.

I had another look at the Paramount+ stream and while there was some macro blocking going on, it did look noticeably sharper then the DVD. And the episode description noted it was HD. So maybe the series is already mastered for HD. I hope like Mission Impossible, H5O gets the blu ray treatment.
My understanding is that new HD transfers were made for syndication, streaming and DVD release 15 years ago, and then down-res’d for SD release on DVD. I think the Syndication Bible even explicitly stated that the series had HD transfers made.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the insight Jeff. That’s good to know the higher bit rate streaming from Apple TV looks better then the Paramount+ stream.

I was thinking about what you said about Mission: Impossible. Too bad right now there is no Hawaii Five-O project on CBS to help gather interest in a blu ray of the 1968 series. I do have the M:I complete series blu ray set and it’s probably got a package cost of about $1.00 or less. The box and sleeves the discs are packaged in are so flimsy. A Hawaii Five-O complete blu ray set could be done similarly to keep the cost down. And yeah, I also thought that H5O does have a lot more seasons, so more disc costs there. I hope the M:I blu ray set is selling well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been slowly watching the M:I blu ray set and it’s just amazing image quality. It’s been great to have so many classic series on blu ray.

Well, I have seasons 1 to 7 of the H5O season DVD sets. And I plan to buy season 8 to 12 to complete the series in the next few days. I hope once I do that, the usual remastered version comes out forcing us to upgrade. :)

I did check Amazon’s Best Sellers Ranking for the Mission: Impossible set and its #1544 for blu ray sales. But #3955 for TV and movie sales.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I have the complete series set.
0097361443744_p1_v2_s550x406.jpg

Season 10 has been remastered for this set VS. the individual release and looks on par with the others. There is a problem with a season 4 disc in the set. Two episodes don't play right. There are parts of another episode about 3/4 thru them. I think it was episodes 11 and 12 of that year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the added insight in the complete series set Darin regarding the season 10 set that Jr brought up. I’ll have to re-think if it’s worth it to buy the complete series set to get the corrected season 10. I already own season 1 to 7. If there is no blu ray, then it might be necessary.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I have been watching this on Paramount a lot recently. I had seen a few season 1 episodes over the years. I randomly started with season 6 and watched a few of that season and season 7 and am enjoying it a lot more.

I too, had purchased the Mission Impossible blu ray set and understand why they used the cheap packaging.

I hope that we see more sets like that because it looks great. I may even consider this show if they release it, but with so many more seasons, who knows what they might do...

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I've been watching Hawaii Five 0 sporadically - but chronologically - on DVD for the past year or so. I recently started the 6th season. Extremely strong series, and I've enjoyed every episode (so far).

It was interesting that in two episodes in the first several seasons, a similar plot point was recycled - though details were changed:

-A deranged killer positioned himself on a cliff overlooking a major highway, and starts picking people off randomly below him - during daylight hours. He was holed up in an abandoned bunker, and was using this to protect himself from the authorities who were trying to stop him.
It was later discovered (by McGarret & his group) that the killer had been in the military, and also had serious issues with his emotionally-distant mother - who was contemptuous of the killer's wife, etc. The episode ended tragically, and was one of numerous HFO episodes where I actually felt sorry for the villain. I also wonder if the killer was loosely based on LHO?!

- Two inept kidnappers "abducted" a child from her mother's house, and ended up at the top of a cliff above a major highway - the setting even looked almost identical to the one used in the previous episode. They also holed up in a bunker & were shooting at the authorities to avoid being captured.
After doing some investigating, McGarett & co. found out that the child's grandmother had orchestrated the kidnapping, in order to get the child away from the child's mother (her daughter) because she didn't approve of her daughter & her granddaughter's upbringing, etc. Interesting episode - also with a tragic ending. And, this was yet another one where I felt sorry for the "villians" in the episode.

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I've been watching Hawaii Five 0 sporadically - but chronologically - on DVD for the past year or so. I recently started the 6th season. Extremely strong series, and I've enjoyed every episode (so far).

It was interesting that in two episodes in the first several seasons, a similar plot point was recycled - though details were changed:
Per the H5O fan page at mjq.net:
The reason for this, told to me by guest star Ron Feinberg at the 1996 Five-O Convention, was the previous episode was too violent to rebroadcast, but producer Leonard Freeman wanted to reuse some of the material, so this new show was virtually written around this previous footage for Feinberg. Ironically, this episode was also considered too violent to broadcast, according to another report I heard.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That Hawaii Five-O Homepage is a great resource.

I looked up those two episodes, the first was S04E06 And I want Some Candy And A Gun That Shoots. I remember that episode and thought it was a pretty strong one in terms of being edge of the seat viewing. I’m anticipating seeing it as I do my re-watch.

The second episode that seems to re-cycle the above episode is S05E20 Little Girl Blue. I had the same reaction that it was a rehash. Though it was a pretty good episode as I recall the last time I saw it. That’s an interesting story about how this episode came about, because the earlier one was too violent to repeat.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I decided to go ahead and buy the complete series DVD set since I had not finished collecting the individual season sets in light of the above posts that season 10 is re-done in the complete series set. Unfortunately it is the later box set so it’s not as attractive as the set that Darin posted above. But that’s OK, as long as all the discs are good and play is what matters.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
I have the complete series set.
View attachment 92529
Season 10 has been remastered for this set VS. the individual release and looks on par with the others. There is a problem with a season 4 disc in the set. Two episodes don't play right. There are parts of another episode about 3/4 thru them. I think it was episodes 11 and 12 of that year.

wow, this set looks gorgeous, where did you get it from?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
That Hawaii Five-O Homepage is a great resource.

I looked up those two episodes, the first was S04E06 And I want Some Candy And A Gun That Shoots. I remember that episode and thought it was a pretty strong one in terms of being edge of the seat viewing. I’m anticipating seeing it as I do my re-watch.

The second episode that seems to re-cycle the above episode is S05E20 Little Girl Blue. I had the same reaction that it was a rehash. Though it was a pretty good episode as I recall the last time I saw it. That’s an interesting story about how this episode came about, because the earlier one was too violent to repeat.
And yet, both episodes were included in the original 200-episode syndication package on film of the early 1980s, while many other single episodes of the first nine years were not included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks