What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Noticed I Dream of Jeannie coming out on Blu-ray and i want to buy the Hawaii Five-O series. Should i buy the dvd set now or wait for a Blu-ray one to come out?

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
i‘d say it depends on how badly you want to watch it or own it. the blu ray may come out this year , in 2,3,4 yrs , or maybe never, who knows—-unless your hearing something is in the works for a blu ray release. besides, the current sets are really good , it would be different if they were 80’s syndicated cuts . i had the same question as you bf i got my set . it was worth it to be able to enjoy it in the year or so since i got it and if a blu ray set does come along , i’ll probably sell it . i heard there are HD prints streaming somewhere (i may be wrong) but if you just want to watch it , that may be the way to go until it gets a blu ray release (hopefully) .

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Noticed I Dream of Jeannie coming out on Blu-ray and i want to buy the Hawaii Five-O series. Should i buy the dvd set now or wait for a Blu-ray one to come out?
Personally, I wouldn't expect it unless you see CBS/Paramount (or whatever they're called now) doing other Blu-ray series sets for better-selling sitcoms before they move to their dramas especially one as large as Hawaii Five-O.

Now that I've said that and if you buy it, you can expect it to be announced shortly thereafter. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, since you mentioned I Dream of Jeannie, you were referring to buying Hawaii Five-0 if it came out on blu ray?

Makes me wonder too if Sony would release Bewitched on blu ray. Though if Mill Creek is doing Jeannie, they might do Bewitched.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here is my rewatchable episodes list through season eleven. An asterisk denotes a true gem, IMHO the best of the best.

Season Two
To Hell with Babe Ruth

Forty Feet High and It Kills
King Kamehameha Blues
All The King’s Horses
The Joker’s Wild, Man, Wild
Which Way Did They Go?
Blind Tiger*
Cry, Lie
I just watched "To Hell with Babe Ruth"

I loved the concept of the story, and it was very well acted, but the elephant in the room is the 2 older white men playing Japanese. It seriously distracted, and took me out of the episode, and trust me I love Mark Lenard (Urko from TV's Planet of the Apes) who did an amazing job with what the role he was given. Could have been one of my favorite episodes as well, but falls short because of the poor casting choice.

That being said I still think Hawaii Five-O is my favorite classic TV series.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
"Over Fifty? Steal"

This is not only the best episode of season three so far, it's easily the best episode I've seen from the first three seasons combined.

Hume Cronyn single-handedly steals this episode. I was intrigued by him the entire time. I especially loved the scene where after he robs, he walks up to the security camera, points his gun at it, and squirts water on the lens. What I loved so much about it was the way all the Five-O guys laughed. I could tell they had a sneaking admiration for him.

Just so much fun for an hour to end my day.

Even though I think it's one of best of all HF0 episodes, the second half annoyed me. No matter what McGarrett thought best, he was overruled. He told the governor he thought a press conference wasn't a good idea, so the governor ordered a press conference. He told the guy speaking at the press conference (the bank president?) not to mention Filer's name so naturally he mentions Filer's name and McGarrett has to make a hasty disclaimer so Filer can't sue the department, but Filer is there and threatens to sue the department...

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Funny you mention it playing as a movie. If I recall, CBS reran all 3 parts back-to-back at one point as a prime time tv-movie, though I’m not clear as to when it was.
It was during the regular rerun season of 1972-73. A few years later (May 1977) CBS showed it on The CBS Late Movie as a prelude to the episode reruns that began that fall. (As I recall, all the Hawaii Five-0 bumpers were removed from that broadcast, perhaps to make it look more like a movie on The CBS Late Movie.) Years later one of the cable stations that was showing the reruns broadcast it as a movie with a new closing credit sequence which showed scenes from episodes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
"A Bullet for McGarret" from season 2 is one of those episodes that escaped my memory completely...until I watched it again, then I realized why. I hated every minute of this stupid concept episode. I even had an audience, and the room was dead quiet when it finished. I thought Oh, any season 2 episode will be good enough, let me pick an ep. that I'm less familiar with. Stupid mistake as this is one of the laziest, and poorly written episodes of the entire series! Good job at scaring those in attendance unfamiliar with this great series the hell away from it probably forever.

Words of wisdom:

If you want to turn someone onto a series, show them an episode you love, and are familiar with.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
"A Bullet for McGarret" from season 2 is one of those episodes that escaped my memory completely...until I watched it again, then I realized why. I hated every minute of this stupid concept episode. I even had an audience, and the room was dead quiet when it finished. I thought Oh, any season 2 episode will be good enough, let me pick an ep. that I'm less familiar with. Stupid mistake as this is one of the laziest, and poorly written episodes of the entire series! Good job at scaring those in attendance unfamiliar with this great series the hell away from it probably forever.

Words of wisdom:

If you want to turn someone onto a series, show them an episode you love, and are familiar with.
The hypnosis gimmick was silly, it was a complete waste of Wo Fat in what amounts to a mere cameo just a few episodes after McGarrett booted him off the island, and it had that grating music cue that was the trigger for the hypnotized people. However, the rest of the Richard Shores score was jazzy and enjoyable as usual, and Eric Braeden went on to a much better performance in season 3’s “The Second Shot” as an assassin posing as a journalist.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
It was during the regular rerun season of 1972-73. A few years later (May 1977) CBS showed it on The CBS Late Movie as a prelude to the episode reruns that began that fall. (As I recall, all the Hawaii Five-0 bumpers were removed from that broadcast, perhaps to make it look more like a movie on The CBS Late Movie.) Years later one of the cable stations that was showing the reruns broadcast it as a movie with a new closing credit sequence which showed scenes from episodes.
I think when The Family Channel began running the remastered episodes in May 1997, they kicked the show off with a 3-hour Vashon broadcast that had that unusual closing credit sequence you noted.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
602 “Draw Me A Killer”

Has anyone else ever noticed that often a black dot appears in the freeze frame right before they go to the bumper and commercial? Does anyone know why? My guess is it’s made with a grease pencil, an editorial mark to denote the exact frame to be frozen.
These "dots" can often be seen on The Wild Wild West when the picture freezes before the animated bumper. Apparently they are put there to show the editor, animator or whoever what frame of film to use for the freeze.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
You owe it to yourself to at least seek out his performance in The Night Gallery segment, "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar". His 2nd season effort, "Little Girl Lost" is quite good and often over looked because of the first. I am very fond of his Twilight Zone effort.
William Windom was in two Twilight Zones as well. He was in the seldom-seen hour-long episode "Miniature" along with Robert Duvall, Barney Miller's wife Barbara Barrie, the original Alice Kramden Pert Kelton, comic Lennie Weinrib and early partner to Jack Webb's Sgt. Friday, Barney Phillips (also the diner counterman in TZ's "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?").

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
So I've been watching episodes on Paramount and just finished the last episode of season 10. Is there a story to the surprising event in that episode?

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'm almost finished with S06 of HFO. Excellent series, and IMHO there have been no bad episodes in any of these seasons. I don't know if the show will continue this momentum until the end, but so far I'm extremely impressed by the quality of the writing, acting, and production in this show. Well-done.

Some especially notable S06 episodes:

"The $10,000 nickel": A skilled thief steals an extremely valuable nickel,
and soon after it gets put into a vending machine. The story-line involving the thief trying to track down the coin & the authorities trying to track down the thief is complex & compelling.

"Secret Witness": An bystander witnesses a "hit", and is pursued by the killer.
The witness gets away, but leaves behind a clue that leads the killer to him & his family. As it turns out, the killing was ordered by a big-shot mobster that is known to McGarret & co. This was an especially well-done & suspenseful episode.

Notable guest stars in this episode were Mark Lenard (Sarek in Star Trek: TOS), and Cindy Williams (American Graffiti, Laverne & Shirley).

Last edited:

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Thanks for posting that link Darin. I didn’t see it when I placed my order. I see it’s a used copy.

This is the set I ordered. I’m afraid it’s not as attractive as that one. :)
View attachment 93672

I know it's been some months since you posted this, but was debating on which route to get all of these seasons. I only own the first season. I don't think that I want to pay the premium for the earlier complete series set - plus concerned that the discs are situated to have to slide out. On the other hand, I know that some of these big ass cases have their own issues.

Do you feel that the cases for the set you bought are ok?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
1203 “Though the Heavens Fall”

This reminded me of THE STAR CHAMBER with Michael Douglas, or perhaps I should say THE STAR CHAMBER reminded me of this, since this episode came first.

View attachment 45741

Either way, the talent around Jack Lord has gotten very thin, and for me the writing is on the wall.

View attachment 45742

I am serious when I watch classic TV; I make the time just to watch, to sit there in front of the screen and give it my full attention. But truth be told, I am not going to make it through this season if I do that. It doesn’t deserve my undivided attention. It’s too much of a slog. So I am going to start watching a disc at a time while I multitask and do other things like pay bills, etc. Normally this would be unheard of for me, but I am committed to finishing this series, and this is the only way I can stomach it. Apologies if it seems like I am skipping episodes in my posts. I’m watching them all but doubt I will post on all of them. My mother taught me if I don't have something nice to say, better to say nothing at all. :)

I'm going back to an even older post as I have just finished the last season for the first time. Man that meh at best.

The
1203 “Though the Heavens Fall”

This reminded me of THE STAR CHAMBER with Michael Douglas, or perhaps I should say THE STAR CHAMBER reminded me of this, since this episode came first.

View attachment 45741

Either way, the talent around Jack Lord has gotten very thin, and for me the writing is on the wall.

View attachment 45742

I am serious when I watch classic TV; I make the time just to watch, to sit there in front of the screen and give it my full attention. But truth be told, I am not going to make it through this season if I do that. It doesn’t deserve my undivided attention. It’s too much of a slog. So I am going to start watching a disc at a time while I multitask and do other things like pay bills, etc. Normally this would be unheard of for me, but I am committed to finishing this series, and this is the only way I can stomach it. Apologies if it seems like I am skipping episodes in my posts. I’m watching them all but doubt I will post on all of them. My mother taught me if I don't have something nice to say, better to say nothing at all. :)

I'm going back to an every older post as I have just finished the last season for the first time. Man that was meh at best.

The final episode also was very disappointing - what would be a sub par episode with the show's main nemesis ends up being a very weak finale.

The new members of the team were terrible as well. Very generic and added little to the episodes.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Albert, about the Hawaii Five 5-0 set. I took a photo of the set to show you. These large disc cases are nice in that each disc has its own tray caddy. Two discs per side on each caddy. They are held together by thin plastic living hinges, the first page shown the lower hinge already broke when I opened the set. But it’s not a big deal. It’s also nice the playing surfaces are at least protected, more or less.

9509D25C-724E-4741-8501-BC722DF4E38C.jpeg

I’m actually ripping each episodes so I have them in digital form on my hard drive to stream in my home network.

One thing I noticed, CBS Paramount went to the expense of pressing these discs with different disc art. I have the first 5 seasons in the individual season sets. On those, the cover art is printed on the discs in color with each character on each disc. Pretty well done. These latter discs simplified it with the simple grey color. It’s nice the episode titles are on each disc. I have the complete Streets of San Francisco set and it’s the same kind of case and simplified artwork. Hinges on that set arrived broken too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks