bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
See you guys in the Barnaby Jones thread...and hopefully later this year, in a Magnum P.I. re-watch thread (got the first 2 seasons in transit, and season 3 on deck, just in case).

It's amazing that both of Tom Selleck's major hit series (Magnum in the 80s, and Blue Bloods now) have been on the same network (CBS).

And about those Magnum releases-- are they in the original double-sided form, or in the redone single form?

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It's amazing that both of Tom Selleck's major hit series (Magnum in the 80s, and Blue Bloods now) have both been on the same network (CBS).

And about those Magnum releases-- are they in the original double-sided form, or in the redone single form?
Yes, good to see that Selleck's career is still thriving.

Thanks to this forum, I was aware of the more recent single-sided re-done sets, and so ordered those. Though I'll miss that bonus DVD on the original flipper S1 set that had the Simon & Simon crossover episodes, plus the Sharon Stone two-parter, on it as extras.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks to this forum, I was aware of the more recent single-sided re-done sets, and so ordered those. Though I'll miss that bonus DVD on the original flipper S1 set that had the Simon & Simon crossover episodes, plus the Sharon Stone two-parter, on it as extras.
That's great! BTW, did you get your copies of those Magnum releases from Amazon?

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's great! BTW, did you get your copies of those Magnum releases from Amazon?
Yes, ordered from Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. I toyed with getting the complete series set, but its price (over $80) and the fact that I'll likely not want to buy the last 2 or 3 seasons, caused me to order season by season.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes, ordered from Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. I toyed with getting the complete series set, but its price (over $80) and the fact that I'll likely not want to buy the last 2 or 3 seasons, caused me to order season by season.
Same reasoning I had on Perry Mason-- I didn't get it in the all-in-one, because I didn't desire to be stuck with seasons of it that I probably wouldn't enjoy; that's why I only have the first seven seasons' worth in the original seasonal volumes (most from Amazon, though the first ones were gotten other ways).

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeff
71C99594-E3DE-454C-A9BA-4A23724906C8.jpeg
3EA9E054-0828-4559-B5C1-24B070C14453.jpeg
Alan’s fun and witty observations, along with those of everyone else here who participated, helped bring fresh eyes to my all-time favorite series....thank you!

Looking forward to future BARNABY JONES and MAGNUM PI observations—both of which I own as well! See you over there...Mahalo!

(And if anyone wants to continue their H5O journey, please feel free to visit my H5O Celebration site on Facebook—you don’t have to be a FB member to view it. The link is below in my sig. It’s filled with dvd reviews, video clips, TVGuide ads and screen caps! It was a labor of love when I put it together in 2010, and still is today. Lots of fun comments as well!)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
Well, I may regret not getting that complete Magnum box down the road, but my feeling is that, while the show never became bad or anything, the first 4 or 5 seasons were the strongest.
I feel Magnum P.I. lost it's way in years four and five. Some of the silliest stories. Plus Selleck was starting to get film work and had a slew of shows where he barely appeared. The show finished strong. On par with years one and two.

Though I'll miss that bonus DVD on the original flipper S1 set that had the Simon & Simon crossover episodes
The double-sided season one set has the unique ending that continued on Simon & Simon. The season three set has the stand alone ending without Higgins getting on a plane for the mainland.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Harold
Magnum PI is my favorite show. Opinions abound about which seasons were the best. My belief is that each season had some gems and some not so great episodes. I recommend getting all the seasons, I don’t think you will regret it.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Born again (ha ha) original series Hawaii Five-O fan here; though I've seen some of the series years ago, I'm now making a point of watching the show chronologically on the DVD sets. From looking at some previous posts, it's clear that this is the best thread on here that discusses the entire 12 seasons - very comprehensive.

Re: the DVD set(s), I am quite impressed by the Picture Quality (PQ) on these. Overall, it's exceptional & I'm so happy with this that I don't see the need for an upgrade. Sure, there's always room for improvement - but, I'm 100% satisfied with the quality of the picture/sound on these existing disks....and I rarely feel that way, especially with DVD-only TV show releases.

Obviously, this is an extremely well-known show which has resulted in the term "Five O" and the saying "Book 'em, Danno" becoming part of our cultural "language".

The opening theme song/scenes is one of my favorite openers of any TV show. Perfect marriage of a great instrumental theme song & excellently edited scenes; I especially like the quick cuts, notably the different scenes of the sunset(s) on the water, one right after the other - well-done.

I like how the "beautiful island paradise" aspect of Hawaii was counter-acted by the grim & gritty crimes/situations the H5O team found themselves up against in each episode.

There was also mention of The Korean War & WW II in some of the episodes. And, I know that future episodes bring these to the fore-front even more with some story-lines directly tied into these wars. This is a good reminder of how old this show is. When it made it's debut in 1968, it was only 23 years after WW II ended (in 1945) and only 15 years after the Korean War ended (in 1953). In fact, McGarret's back-story was that he was in the military during the Korean war.

And, the Vietnam war was directly tied into to many of the show's storylines, given that this war was ongoing while much of the series was initially on.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Also, I am quite impressed by the Picture Quality (PQ) on these DVD's. Overall, it's exceptional & I'm so happy with this that I don't see the need for an upgrade. Sure, there's always room for improvement - but, I'm completely happy with the quality of the picture/sound on these existing disks - and I rarely feel that way, especially with DVD-only TV show releases.
You feel that way about the releases of O-R Jack Lord Five-O, and so do I, and I also feel that way about The Streets of San Francisco!

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
You feel that way about the releases of O-R Jack Lord Five-O, and so do I, and I also feel that way about The Streets of San Francisco!
TSOSF is one of the many, many shows I want to watch but never have. Good to hear that the PQ on the DVD's is solid.

I have such a back-log of TV shows to watch it's incredible. After I watch Hawaii Five O (which will take a while) I may start watching that show.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
TSOSF is one of the many, many shows I want to watch but never have. Good to hear that the PQ on the DVD's is solid.

I have such a back-log of TV shows to watch it's incredible. After I watch Hawaii Five O (which will take a while) I may start watching that show.
It'd be worth the money, IMO-- not only in the PQ making it look fresh and alive, but also for Karl Malden and Michael Douglas (and Richard Hatch in the fifth and final go).

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeff
As you make your way through the H5O episodes, I highly recommend the following website that has long-been a must-visit destination for fans:

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/

A great way to enhance your enjoyment of the shows, you will spend hours and hours here!

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
As you make your way through the H5O episodes, I highly recommend the following website that has long-been a must-visit destination for fans:

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/

A great way to enhance your enjoyment of the shows, you will spend hours and hours here!
And as you go through the episodes, you can compare your impressions to Mike Quigley's comments; yours may dovetail with his, or otherwise.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
About half-way through S01 of HFO. Some comments:

-It was interesting that the pilot featured a theme song that was slightly different than the final one. Also, the actor that played Danny in the pilot was not James MacArthur - but another actor (didn't recognize him). Glad they picked MacArthur to permanently play the role, since I thought the other actor - while OK - was somewhat bland.

-I am extremely amused that Gavin MacLeod played "Big Chicken" on the show - a seedy, smug drug dealer/scam artist. This role is so different from his portrayal of the easy going Captain Stubing on The Love Boat (1977-1986) - LOL.

-One of the best episodes (so far) starts out with Danno chasing a perp (who has been breaking into cars) through the night-time streets. The perp pulls a weapon on him, and a short battle ensues. Shortly after, Danno chases him down to a seedy hotel room, and unintentionally kills the young criminal after firing through the lock on the door. Danno is very guilt stricken by this, but is still able to keep it together. The rest of the episode involves Danno and Five-0 having to track down the criminal's girlfriend, who left with the perp's weapon (which is the only thing that proves what Danno says about before fired upon).

IMHO the best part of the episode was when McGarret gave a guilty Danno a serious talk about what happened. I.e., McGarret told him that he should feel terrible every time he pulled his weapon, even if he didn't need to fire it. And, that it was very important he pulled it only when he felt he had to, etc. Very powerful monologue here, and I suspect it'll end up being one of the best of the series.

With so many unjustified and/or questionable homicides taking place these days, this type of episode is even more relevant today than when it came out 50+ years ago.

-Another very gripping episode is "King of the Hill". This involved a young soldier (Yaphet Kotto) on leave from Vietnam getting unintentionally hit in the head while playing a baseball game that Danno was overseeing. Danno takes him to the local hospital, and the soldier wakes up very disoriented & thinks he's back in the war. He wounds Danno & an LE officer, then barricades himself in a hospital room - all the while thinking he's back in battle. McGarett & co. have to rescue Danno with the minimum of damage to the soldier, so have to recreate the war to some extent by using helicopters, etc.

-A disturbing episode involved some young students getting involved with illegal drugs & in some cases dying as a result. H50 investigates, and tracks down the supplier of the drugs - a casual, hippie college professor. Though the late '60's was before my time, I know that this era was when a lot of these dangerous/hallucinogenic drugs started becoming more popular - which obviously led to these types of deaths/brain damage/etc.

Last edited:

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan
-I am extremely amused that Gavin MacLeod played "Big Chicken" on the show - a seedy, smug drug dealer/scam artist. This role is so different from his portrayal of the easy going Captain Stubing on The Love Boat (1977-1986) - LOL.
I think MacLeod makes a Big Chicken reference on an early episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
-It was interesting that the pilot featured a theme song that was slightly different than the final one. Also, the actor that played Danny in the pilot was not James MacArthur - but another actor (didn't recognize him). Glad they picked MacArthur to permanently play the role, since I thought the other actor - while OK - was somewhat bland.
And, oddly enough, the pilot Danno wore cufflinks, whereas the series Danno (James MacArthur) wore normal, everyday shirt cuffs (of course, McGarrett wore normal shirt cuffs for most of the run, only switching to cufflinks in the fourth go [1971-72]; from then on, it was back to normal cuffs).

Here's a shot of McGarrett with the fourth-season cufflinks (from the fourth-season finale, "R & R & R," OAD Tuesday, March 7, 1972 on CBS; also from fourth-season DVD):

mcgarrettcufflinksr&r&r.jpg

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Benjamin
If Paramount Home Entertainment ever re-does these DVDs, here is how they should be done...
Season 1 should be split in two volumes:
2-hour pilot and first 11 episodes on volume 1, 4 discs
Last 12 episodes on volume 2, 3 discs

Season 2 should also be split in two volumes:
First 13 episodes on volume 1, 4 discs
Last 12 episodes (including the banned "Bored, She Hung Herself") on volume 2, 3 discs

Seasons 3-11 will be re-packaged normally (single season sets, 6 discs at most)

~Ben

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Finished H50 S01, and started on S02. Some of the best episodes towards the end of S01:

"Once Upon a Time, Parts 1-2": McGarett investigates a "doctor" who is giving his sister & brother-in-law (who live in L.A.) false hope that she can cure their little baby of cancer. McGarret & his brother-in-law justifiably feel the doctor is a charlatan, and McGarrett does a lot of research & talks to previous patients - in order to discredit her in court. Definitely two of the most powerful TV episodes I've ever seen, with a fantastic ending.

As someone who is very untrustworthy of most doctors, this episode was especially significant. There are lot of criminals/scammers out there who will lie & tell you that that they can "cure" you or at least help you, when the reality is that the medicine you are giving you is useless and/or in many cases has dangerous side effects. A lot of these scum-bags are only concerned with how much $ they can make from you, and could care less about helping you.

"The Box": Excellent & gripping episode about a thief (Charlie Swanson) in a prison who is attacked by several fellow inmates, and in retaliation takes the inmates & the guards hostage. McGarrett gets involved, and lets himself be taken hostage in exchange for letting an injured man go, so he can be removed from the situation & get medical attention. Big Chicken also plays a key role in this episode.

I was impressed by the scene when Swanson demanded that his list of prison improvements/reform (for all prisoners) to be printed in the newspaper - as a prerequisite to his letting the hostages go. This really humanized the character to a great extent, and showed that he was thinking about more than just himself.

(This episode slightly reminded me of the excellent 2-part S03 episode of the underrated series "Midnight Caller" (1988-1991), "Life without Possibility" - where Jack Killian gets inadvertently involved in a prison riot.)

"Six Kilos": McGarrett goes undercover in order to uncover a plot involving a group that will be attempting to commit a heist; and, McGarrett has to "pretend" to be one of the criminals. Charlie Swanson is one of the criminals that McGarrett interacts with in this episode.

I liked the realistic touch of having a hotel security guard recognize McGarrett in one key scene when he was pretending to be someone else - thereby blowing his cover (temporarily).

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faber