What's new

Pre-Order The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Series (Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Amazon listing says it's "Amazon Exclusive Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]"
Is there anything different on the set you order from Amazon or is the wording just hype ?

By "exclusive" they mean they are the only retailer who will be carrying it (besides being available from SF direct).

MattHR

Screenwriter
still no confirmation that the first two reunion films are in HD.

All three reunion movies are in HD (real 1080p, not upscaled), and Bionic Showdown is in stereo this time. (It was erroneously mono on the DVD sets.) However, despite SF touting that Bionic Ever After? was "transferred from a new 2K scan of the original negative", the first 15 or so minutes suffer from a really odd audio flaw. The soundfield bounces wildly across the front speakers, without the dialogue being centered as it should be (and as it correctly was on the DVD sets).

There are — unfortunately and unacceptably — numerous other audio-related flaws scattered across every disc in the set. For starters, the menu volume levels are much higher than the actual episodes. The volume levels of the commentaries and featurettes are approximately 20% of the episode levels. Even when maxed-out on my TV, they are still lower than my preferred listening levels. So be warned: If listening to commentaries and/or featurettes, have your remote in-hand and be ready to turn down the volume before returning to the menu, or you'll be blasted from your seat by the sudden explosion of Oliver Nelson's theme music.

While not as bad as the notorious audio flaws that have plagued every Bionic Woman DVD release since 2010, there are several (and counting, as I work my way through the set) SMDM episodes that have similar problems. (Note: The audio on the previous TimeLife and Universal SMDM DVDs did not have any flawed audio issues, other than the ones found on the five BW crossover episodes.) The flaws I've discovered so far usually involve obvious dips in sound levels, mostly affecting dialogue. (By comparison, the flaws on BW involved severely "muffled" audio in dialogue, music, and/or sound effects.) A good example of what I'm describing can be found in the Season One episode, "Day of the Robot" from 17:55—19:55, during the dialogue between Majors and Saxon while driving. At 19:55, there is an audible "click" at the point at which the audio returns to it's original, clear, louder, and vibrant state — right in the middle of their conversation! The difference is obvious and, well, truly unacceptable for a premium-priced Blu-ray set in 2022 — especially after 12 years of pointing out these exact same flaws on numerous other Universal shows that have been likewise affected.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The QC on some recent Blu Ray releases of catalog shows has been noticeably bad. I could understand porting over the same flaws as a DVD set if they're going from the same masters, but new glitches keep coming and it's like nobody is in the factory checking these out before they go.

I may hold back on buying this to see if its addressed. But man, I'd hate this to go the way of I Dream of Jeannie - "buy it and shut up."

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I ordered mine this morning and got it this evening via Amazon. I was surprised I got same day delivery. I’m watching it and the sound is not the best. However, I must give props to shout for using good packaging that isn’t cumbersome and risks disc damage

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
I ordered mine this morning and got it this evening via Amazon. I was surprised I got same day delivery. I’m watching it and the sound is not the best. However, I must give props to shout for using good packaging that isn’t cumbersome and risks disc damage
The Outer box is very flimsy.

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
For the price it should have been sturdier.
Nothing beats the great Time Life SMDM box from 2010, the presentation on that set was excellent.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
For the price it should have been sturdier.
Nothing beats the great Time Life SMDM box from 2010, the presentation on that set was excellent.
That’s why I removed the DVD cases from the Time Life SMDM box and put the entire Shout Factory Blu-ray box set inside of it. Fits almost perfectly! This way you have the best of both worlds.

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
That’s why I removed the DVD cases from the Time Life SMDM box and put the entire Shout Factory Blu-ray box set inside of it. Fits almost perfectly! This way you have the best of both worlds.
The Time Life set has many bonus features that are missing on the Shout Factory Blu-rays. Still have to hold on to those discs. Plus the dvds have full motion menus that corresponded with scenes from that season. The Blu-rays have that same boring static picture of Steve for every season. But at least the episodes are now in HD.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Is Shout aware of these all new audio glitches? I really want to pull the trigger on this, but I hate that there are new issues in addition to the old.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Is Shout aware of these all new audio glitches? I really want to pull the trigger on this, but I hate that there are new issues in addition to the old.
There are no new glitches. It's on the owners end. Others have played blu ray discs without issue.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The sound issue in Day of the Robot (the noticeable volume dip during a conversation) was confirmed by a friend of mine. He also reported that the audio is slightly out of sync in Popular Zero for a time. About a half second off, but still there. I can't imagine my friend and the reviewer at Blu Ray.com have the exact same setup which caused the same issue in Day of the Robot. It's not enough to keep me from buying it, I'm just not in a hurry.

But if it's barely noticeable, then I'm good.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I also noticed an early portion of The Midas Touch (starting with the teaser) was somewhat muffled, though still fairly clear, then it improved later in the show. Can anyone else confirm? I have a Sonos system so I think it’s fairly on the mark, but I just want to make sure I wasn’t imagining anything, as my hearing isn’t 100%.

Regardless, I still love this set despite its imperfections, and am happy to have it!

MattHR

Screenwriter
I also noticed an early portion of The Midas Touch (starting with the teaser) was somewhat muffled, though still fairly clear, then it improved later in the show. Can anyone else confirm? I have a Sonos system so I think it’s fairly on the mark, but I just want to make sure I wasn’t imagining anything, as my hearing isn’t 100%.

Regardless, I still love this set despite its imperfections, and am happy to have it!
"The Midas Touch" definitely has audio flaws. It's the same "muffled" effect as on the Bionic Woman episodes.

MattHR

Screenwriter
There are no new glitches. It's on the owners end. Others have played blu ray discs without issue.
There are most certainly flaws that were not present on the DVDs. While I give the video quality the highest possible rating (it's literally the best I've ever seen a vintage show look in HD), the audio remastering has severe problems (same as with almost every vintage show from Universal that has been upgraded to HD since 2007). That's what makes the release so frustrating -- they went all out for the video but really screwed up the audio.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The same friend of mine is going through his blu ray set and now found muffled audio in Eyewitness to Murder starting from the end of act 2. This is really not motivating me to rush out and order this. If these were in the DVDs, I'd shrug it off as as defects in the masters, but Shout should really have a look at this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks