What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This episode was directed by resident Hawaii Five-0 stunt man Beau Van Den Ecker. The long crane chase is him showing off. The bad directing starts early with the randomly inserted POV shots from the killer and some really bad acting from the first victim.
View attachment 45564

We do get the super cute and future Mrs. Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, early in her career.
View attachment 45565
I love your insights into the episodes. I really appreciate them (and will miss them).

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I love your insights into the episodes. I really appreciate them (and will miss them).
Thanks Alan. But it doesn't have to end. We can have Magnum gassed up and ready to go for an extended tour of the islands.
vlcsnap-2018-04-16-19h56m32s180.png

Early episodes of Magnum P.I. drop several gratuitous mentions of Five-0 as if it really existed. You probably noticed me making some connections to actors in an earlier post. There are many production personnel from Five-0 involved as well, since production of Magnum began in 1980 shortly after Five-0 ceased production.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks Alan. But it doesn't have to end. We can have Magnum gassed up and ready to go for an extended tour of the islands.
View attachment 45566
Early episodes of Magnum P.I. drop several gratuitous mentions of Five-0 as if it really existed. You probably noticed me making some connections to actors in an earlier post. There are many production personnel from Five-0 involved as well, since production of Magnum began in 1980 shortly after Five-0 ceased production.
I'm not saying no to Magnum, but I need to finish Barnaby Jones first and I want to watch season one of Mayberry RFD. But I am very open to Magnum somewhere down the line since, like H5O, it would be largely a new series to me, as I only saw it spotty, the one time, when it originally aired.

If the Magnum set drops in price, I'd be induced, although I guess $84 isn't bad. But I'd love to get a steal.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
If the Magnum set drops in price, I'd be induced, although I guess $84 isn't bad. But I'd love to get a steal.
I got rid of my DVD set when I purchased the blu-ray from Fabulous in the U.K. I would have sent you mine instead of selling it. I'm half way into season 2 of the HD set now. I haven't seen much interest in the show on HTF, and was hoping to recruit a new convert with a fresh perspective on the show. Someone to notice the little details I payed little or no attention to. Anyway, this thread isn't about me or Magnum. Back to more Five-0!
hawaii-five-0-1968.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I got rid of my DVD set when I purchased the blu-ray from Fabulous in the U.K. I would have sent you mine instead of selling it. I'm half way into season 2 of the HD set now. I haven't seen much interest in the show on HTF, and was hoping to recruit a new convert with a fresh perspective on the show. Someone to notice the little details I payed little or no attention to. Anyway, this thread isn't about me or Magnum. Back to more Five-0!
hawaii-five-0-1968.jpg
I have two seasons left to go on BARNABY JONES. Let me do at least season seven and season one of Mayberry RFD and if I don't get swept away by world events, I will go for Magnum. It's just that I have been looking forward to Barnaby a lot lately. :) I will keep my eye on the Magnum set in the meantime and start gearing mentally toward it. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Edit: I just called a buddy of mine who has the episodes and I think I can get them from him when the time comes. I do, however, appreciate the thought that you would have provided me viewing with your old set.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I love all things Mayberry. I'm a fan of Barnaby Jones too. I stalled my viewing on the early part of season five of Barnaby Jones. Not a fan of Mark Shera. I feel that Lee Meriwether should have filled the roll of field investigator and a third body was unnecessary. She went undercover in a late third or fourth season episode and was fun to watch. I thought they were setting her up for a bigger role on the show. Alas, she was back to answering phones and booking flights. A waste. She was terrific as an IMF agent on Mission Impossible.
vlcsnap-2018-04-17-01h25m15s675.png

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love all things Mayberry. I'm a fan of Barnaby Jones too. I stalled my viewing on the early part of season five of Barnaby Jones. Not a fan of Mark Shera. I feel that Lee Meriwether should have filled the roll of field investigator and a third body was unnecessary. She went undercover in a late third or fourth season episode and was fun to watch. I thought they were setting her up for a bigger role on the show. Alas, she was back to answering phones and booking flights. A waste. She was terrific as an IMF agent on Mission Impossible.
View attachment 45577
Funny I stalled exactly in the same place. But I made it far enough into it eventually that I have warmed to JR. I'm finishing the series for a couple of reasons: 1) Forty-plus years ago I watched it with my father and it makes me feel close to him; and 2) I am a COMPLETIST!

Tomorrow: the last episode of season eleven. I hope it's not the last good episode of Five-O left.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Tomorrow: the last episode of season eleven. I hope it's not the last good episode of Five-O left.

I hope you get good mileage out of that final go as well-- Mike Quigley's comments on quite a few of those final-season episodes would make it seem that you have the odds against you (at least in my opinion, anyway).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope you get good mileage out of that final go as well-- Mike Quigley's comments on quite a few of those final-season episodes would make it seem that you have the odds against you (at least in my opinion, anyway).
Thanks. I have done my best to find something positive, day in and day out, in nearly every episode. I will continue to try and do so as I move into season 12, though I fear the deck is stacked against me. But I haven't come this far to turn back now. :)

cool1.JPG

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
hawaii-five-0-1968.jpg

I'd be down for a Magnum, P.I. rewatch thread myself. I have the first couple of seasons on deck to be ordered, and will have those in hand in a few months (maybe by the time Alan is finished with Five-O, Barnaby Jones and S1 of Mayberry, RFD.) I watched Magnum when it was first run, but haven't seen an episode since, so it will be like watching the show for the first time in many ways.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd be down for a Magnum, P.I. rewatch thread myself. I have the first couple of seasons on deck to be ordered, and will have those in hand in a few months (maybe by the time Alan is finished with Five-O, Barnaby Jones and S1 of Mayberry, RFD.) I watched Magnum when it was first run, but haven't seen an episode since, so it will be like watching the show for the first time in many ways.
Maybe we can all coordinate somehow on Magnum and watch it together. I realize not everyone can keep up with an episode a day, every day, but maybe we can figure out a pace that works for everybody and watch it together. I think that would be fun. I really do.

1121 “The year of the Horse”

Season eleven ends on a high note. This didn’t feel like a padded two-parter at all but rather a bona fide Five-O movie with the star power of George Lazenby to boot. And Victoria Principal brightened things up considerably.

1121.JPG

Nice gritty movie. And just like that, I'm on season 12.....:eek:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
"The Year Of The Horse" is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The last true epic story in scope and location that Five-0 would produce. It's odd that they ended the season with a two hour episode, when most seasons start with them. I wonder if it was delayed for some unknown reason? The guest cast is excellent. One of Barry Bostwick's finest performances.
vlcsnap-2018-04-17-13h55m40s841.png

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Maybe we can all coordinate somehow on Magnum and watch it together. I realize not everyone can keep up with an episode a day, every day, but maybe we can figure out a pace that works for everybody and watch it together. I think that would be fun. I really do.

I'd gladly buy the region 2 BD set, and watch with you guys. I think that Magnum P.I. Might be right in my wheelhouse of classic tv.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd gladly buy the region 2 BD set, and watch with you guys. I think that Magnum P.I. Might be right in my wheelhouse of classic tv.
I'm in for at least season one just as soon as I finish season 12 of Five-O, season seven of BARNABY, and season one of MAYBERRY. :)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It's not the cheapest set. You can find a price drop on Amazon U.K. from time to time. It was worth it for me. And it has the same bonus features as the Universal DVD sets. There is an alternate ending episode for the Murder She Wrote cross-over not on DVD. And an episode that contained a small edit on DVD is intact on the blu-ray.
81hWpBWR9OL._SX342_.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It's not the cheapest set. You can find a price drop on Amazon U.K. from time to time. It was worth it for me. And it has the same bonus features as the Universal DVD sets. There is an alternate ending episode for the Murder She Wrote cross-over not on DVD. And an episode that contained a small edit on DVD is intact on the blu-ray.

Yikes! I'd love to get this Magnum BD set, but it's currently sitting at 135 pounds ($192) on Amazon UK (though there is a Marketplace seller that has it new for $142). That's outta my price range, for sure. Think I'll stick with the Region 1 DVDs for now.

But I will gladly join the rewatch, it'd be fun to chat about the show with you guys. Not sure I can keep up an episode-a-day pace, but could surely work through 2 or 3 a week.

Glad to see that season 11 of Five-O goes out on a high note with "The Year of the Horse."

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A Magnum watch seems like a great idea. Need to put that on my (need to get) list. Had the first season or two on those horrible double sided discs, to many problems to deal with and donated them somewhere. Need to find the single sided versions I guess.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One idea to consider might be that someone post comments about an episode, then we all comment if we have something to say, then the next person in given order posts about the following episode, and we all comment, and so on, so that we can all take it at our own pace, with the understanding that if the next person in line is in a crunch that week and goes for longer than, say, three days, then the next person in line can pick up the ball and post about the episode. And the regular order resumes. That's just one idea, but if we each had a turn in the progression as a first poster, and we set a time limit on posting for the next episode, maybe it could work. I'm open to other ideas. But I agree. An episode a day is too much. One of the reasons I want to do a season of BARNABY and then a season of MAYBERRY first is I don't want a string of multiple seasons of the same show looming in front of me again for a while.

If anyone else has any ideas on how we might watch together in a timely fashion (eight seasons is a lot to get through), let's hash it out BEFORE the time comes, so when it does, we can get right back to Hawaii post haste. :)

P.S. I plan to do Barnaby and Mayberry an episode a day, so that's about 50 days, plus however long it takes me to get through season 12 of Five-0. If it's really bad, I may put the pedal to the metal and watch more than one a day.

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
While I generally consider most of the Season 12 H5O episodes to range between ‘weak’ and ‘excruciatingly awful’, there are actually several that, in my opinion, manage to be highly entertaining despite, or perhaps due to, their wretchedness. I’ll mention those lucky few as Alan gets to them. Some are very entertaining due to their guest stars, some due to their ridiculous plotting, and some due to hideous performances from the new cast members...and one that’s due to all of the above :)

The season also manages to start off on a relatively high note....but afterwards....<shudders>...<chills down spine>...!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks