What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Here is my rewatchable episodes list through season eleven. An asterisk denotes a true gem, IMHO the best of the best.

Season One
Full Fathom Five
Samurai*
And They Planted Daisies on His Coffin
King of the Hill*
The Box
Once Upon A Time

Season Two
To Hell with Babe Ruth
Forty Feet High and It Kills
King Kamehameha Blues
All The King’s Horses
The Joker’s Wild, Man, Wild
Which Way Did They Go?
Blind Tiger*
Cry, Lie

Season Three
And a Time To Die
The Second Shot
Reunion*
The Late John Louisiana
Over Fifty—Steal*
The Double Wall
The Gunrunner
The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney*

Season Four
3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu*
While You’re At It, Bring In The Moon
The 90-Second War (2 parts)

Season Five
Pig in a Blanket
V is for Vashion (trilogy)*
I’m a Family Crook Don’t Shoot
Thanks for the Honeymoon
Here Today…Gone Tonight
Will the Real Mr. Winkler Please Die

Season Six
Murder is a Taxing Affair
The $100,000 Nickel
The Flipside is Death
One Born Every Minute*

Season Seven
I’ll Kill ’Em Again
How To Steal A Masterpiece*
Bones of Contention

Season Eight
Death’s Name is Sam
Retire In Sunny Hawaii—Forever
Wooden Model of a Rat
Loose Ends Get Hit

Season Nine
The Bells Toll At Noon
Elegy in a Rain Forest
Dealer’s Choice….Blackmail
A Capitol Crime
Blood Money is Hard to Wash

Season Ten
Tsunami
Tread the King’s Shadow
Invitation to Murder
Frozen Assets
My Friend, The Enemy

Season Eleven
Horoscope for Murder
Death Mask
A Very Personal Matter*

I've gone since season seven, but I finally denoted what I consider another true gem!

a.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And so it begins...

DSC06611.jpg

1201 “A Lion in the Streets”

Wait…Danno is gone? Just like that? What happened?

I thought yet another double-length episode was watchable but no more. I do like Kimo, but I’m not sure at the expense of Danny Williams. Not a good trade-off, methinks. But alas, it’s only for a few more episodes.

So the Governor is the only character besides McGarrett to go through all 12 seasons?

1201.JPG

On the bright side, there is Barbara Luna.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://www.jamesmacarthur.com/

From the man himself:

Why did you leave Hawaii Five-O before it ceased production? Do you ever wish you'd stayed on for the final season?

Quite frankly, I grew bored. After Leonard Freeman died, the series began to stagnate. It had started out very fresh and 'cutting edge' with stories and villains relevant to the times, but this did not continue once he was gone. The stories became more bland and predictable and presented less and less challenge to me as an actor. I haven't seen much of the 12th season, but no, I don't have any regrets about leaving when I did.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
1201 “A Lion in the Streets”

Wait…Danno is gone? Just like that? What happened?

I thought yet another double-length episode was watchable but no more. I do like Kimo, but I’m not sure at the expense of Danny Williams. Not a good trade-off, methinks. But alas, it’s only for a few more episodes.
I normally like William Smith in everything he is in. He just doesn't fit in on the Five-0 team. Usually a "speak softly and carry a big stick" kind of performance. Here he over acts and makes wild hands gestures. (Picked up from Jack Lord perhaps?)

vlcsnap-2018-04-20-05h11m02s509.png

I am more excited about Moe Keale joining the team,

vlcsnap-2018-04-20-05h14m57s708.png

Seeing Duke and Truck in Steve's office let's us know that every lead, or hunch, will be investigated to the fullest. I'm sad that Dan Williams is gone, but it gives these "up from the ranks" cops a chance to shine in prime time.

And for the credit watching nerds out there. New Director of Photography John C. Flinn III would go on to work on two more TV shows set in Hawaii, Magnum P.I. and Jake and the Fatman. John was nominated for the Outstanding Cinematography for a Series Emmy six times. Twice for Babylon 5.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I normally like William Smith in everything he is in. He just doesn't fit in on the Five-0 team. Usually a "speak softly and carry a big stick" kind of performance. Here he over acts and makes wild hands gestures. (Picked up from Jack Lord perhaps?)

View attachment 45674

I am more excited about Moe Keale joining the team,

That title credit for Moe as Truck-- did you get it from the final-season DVD release?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1203 “Though the Heavens Fall”

This reminded me of THE STAR CHAMBER with Michael Douglas, or perhaps I should say THE STAR CHAMBER reminded me of this, since this episode came first.

1203.JPG

Either way, the talent around Jack Lord has gotten very thin, and for me the writing is on the wall.

1203a.JPG

I am serious when I watch classic TV; I make the time just to watch, to sit there in front of the screen and give it my full attention. But truth be told, I am not going to make it through this season if I do that. It doesn’t deserve my undivided attention. It’s too much of a slog. So I am going to start watching a disc at a time while I multitask and do other things like pay bills, etc. Normally this would be unheard of for me, but I am committed to finishing this series, and this is the only way I can stomach it. Apologies if it seems like I am skipping episodes in my posts. I’m watching them all but doubt I will post on all of them. My mother taught me if I don't have something nice to say, better to say nothing at all. :)

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
For me, “Though the Heavens Fall” was the episode I noted earlier that I enjoyed for its sheer entertaining insipidity despite the horrible acting from Farrell and Smith, and the bad plotting (seriously, Kimo and Lori sit outside the guy who was acquitted’s house in their car, eating sandwiches and making inane small talk while he’s getting kidnapped over a cliff behind his house, which they only discover when they go inside the house to use the guy’s phone to call Steve—DESPITE THE FACT THEY CAN RADIO HIM FROM THEIR CAR!).

The vigilantes’ manhunt for Kimo and Truck is rather enjoyable when you start rooting for the bad guys to win. Bonus points for laughs induced by Truck getting shot and rolling down the hill.

Sadly, later episodes are nowhere near this much horrible fun, and the acting and plotting are even worse!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For me, “Though the Heavens Fall” was the episode I noted earlier that I enjoyed for its sheer entertaining insipidity despite the horrible acting from Farrell and Smith, and the bad plotting (seriously, Kimo and Lori sit outside the guy who was acquitted’s house in their car, eating sandwiches and making inane small talk while he’s getting kidnapped over a cliff behind his house, which they only discover when they go inside the house to use the guy’s phone to call Steve—DESPITE THE FACT THEY CAN RADIO HIM FROM THEIR CAR!).

The vigilantes’ manhunt for Kimo and Truck is rather enjoyable when you start rooting for the bad guys to win. Bonus points for laughs induced by Truck getting shot and rolling down the hill.

Sadly, later episodes are nowhere near this much horrible fun, and the acting and plotting are even worse!
Yes, I decided to start speed watching more because of the diminished talent around Jack Lord than anything else.

diminished talent.JPG

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
1203 “Though the Heavens Fall”

This reminded me of THE STAR CHAMBER with Michael Douglas, or perhaps I should say THE STAR CHAMBER reminded me of this, since this episode came first.
I thought of of this episode as another "The Most Dangerous Game" rip-off. I think McGarrett even mentions it at one point.
vlcsnap-2018-04-21-15h56m31s955.png

I think the reason I like Truck so much is that the writers tend to have him shot or beat up a lot. I feel sorry for him.
vlcsnap-2018-04-21-16h01m50s450.png

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I am serious when I watch classic TV; I make the time just to watch, to sit there in front of the screen and give it my full attention. But truth be told, I am not going to make it through this season if I do that. It doesn’t deserve my undivided attention. It’s too much of a slog. So I am going to start watching a disc at a time while I multitask and do other things like pay bills, etc. Normally this would be unheard of for me, but I am committed to finishing this series, and this is the only way I can stomach it. Apologies if it seems like I am skipping episodes in my posts. I’m watching them all but doubt I will post on all of them. My mother taught me if I don't have something nice to say, better to say nothing at all. :)

Wow. Things must be getting REALLY bad, then. :blink:

You're a braver man than I...I would have completely burned out several seasons before, probably.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You're a braver man than I...I would have completely burned out several seasons before, probably.
That's why I don't want to jump into another long series with multiple seasons stacked against me. I'm going to bar hop for a while from series to series, doing no more than a single season before changing.

Watching Hawaii Five-O in this manner was a once-in-a-lifetime journey. Thanks to everybody who shared it with me.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I don't blame you one bit.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's why I don't want to jump into another long series with multiple seasons stacked against me. I'm going to bar hop for a while from series to series, doing no more than a single season before changing.

Watching Hawaii Five-O in this manner was a once-in-a-lifetime journey. Thanks to everybody who shared it with me.
Not a problem!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Alan, somehow I stumbled onto this thread and was reading through some of the earlier pages when I spotted a photograph you posted of you and your Mom in Hawaii at the Arizona Memorial.

One of my pastimes in retirement has been playing with old photographs, trying to make them look as good as they can, and that photo "called out" to me. So after about ten minutes, using some Photoshop skills, I think I made it a little better. (If I've overstepped any bounds, let me know and I'll remove this.)

CarabimeroHawaii.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks