Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
Alan, somehow I stumbled onto this thread and was reading through some of the earlier pages when I spotted a photograph you posted of you and your Mom in Hawaii at the Arizona Memorial.

One of my pastimes in retirement has been playing with old photographs, trying to make them look as good as they can, and that photo "called out" to me. So after about ten minutes, using some Photoshop skills, I think I made it a little better. (If I've overstepped any bounds, let me know and I'll remove this.)

View attachment 45750
I'm very touched. You definitely improved it and I appreciate it very much.

We took that trip because we all loved Hawaii Five-O, but also for another reason that my brother and I weren't told: the writing was on the wall for my 45-year-old father (who took this photo). He'd survive another seven years, but we'd never again take a spectacular family vacation because his health didn't allow it.

Thanks again, Harry.

P.S. I learned something new about that trip after forty-one years. Last week my mother called. She's not doing well and is starting to make sure things that are important to her land where she wants them for the long term. One of my memories of that trip is my father paying for everything with hundred dollar bills. Until that trip I had never seen one. He seemed to have an endless supply while we were in Hawaii (and we were strictly lower middle class back then). After that trip my dad started offering me and my brother $100 bills if we could ever catch a live Armadillo with our bare hands (we lived in Texas). He always had a hundred dollar bill ready to give us if we could. He'd show it to us each time we went camping. "What happens if we both catch one?" we asked. No problem, he said, and flashed several more hundreds.

Last week I learned what the deal was. My dad was in construction, and right before we went on the trip to Hawaii in 1977, he got paid for a big job--all in cash, and all in $100 bills. My mom sent me the last of them. I know I shouldn't be sentimental and keep them, but spending them will be hard.

DSC06824.JPG

My mom said she asked my dad why the guy paid him in $100 bills, and he said, "Don't ask." They took a bunch of hundreds to Hawaii. My mom said she put the rest in the bottom of an empty ice cream bucket in the freezer while we were away. :)

Last edited:

Harry-N

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Harry N.
Alan, if I improve on THOSE pictures, the Secret Service will haul me away!

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
One of my memories of that trip is my father paying for everything with hundred dollar bills.
Your father wasn't the only one-- Jim Nantz of CBS Sports wrote in his book Always By My Side that the late Jimmy "The Greek" paid for a cab ride with a hundred dollar bill back in 1988 (and that was for a simple 3-min. ride to the Carnegie Deli in NYC)!

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
Alan, thanks for sharing your beautiful memories of your Father and family. Hope your Mom feels better soon. And thanks also for taking us on your Hawaii Five-0 voyage with the wonderful screenshots and listing of favorite episodes. That list will be much appreciated when I finally get around to watching Five-0 again, for the first time since first run. Thanks also to many other knowledgeable and devoted fans for their comments here in this enjoyable thread.

Your story about your Dad's $100 bills reminded me that the first time I went to Hawaii in 1981 was the first and only time I ever used Thomas Cook Travelers Checks...also in $100 denominations. What a blast from the past. I hadn't thought of those in years. That was a magical visit, seeing all the great tourist sights of course, but also being in the same room, just by chance, with Jim Nabors at his closing nightclub show...with Tom Selleck, John Hillermin and Larry Manetti of Magnum P.I. seated just a table away from us... enjoying Al Harrington of Five-0 at his nightclub show...meeting Harold Sakata (Oddjob from Goldfinger) and actually handling his 1932 L.A. Olympics Gold Medal...and also witnessing a large reunion of Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Doolittle Raid and Bataan War Veterans reunited for the 40th anniversary of those events at the Arizona Memorial...Finally meeting my Uncle Theo from Rhode Island who was a WW2 U.S. Army Air Corps 5th Air Force Veteran of the fighting at New Guinea and the liberation of the Philippines at that gathering also! And reuniting with his sons, my cousins Gary and Brent, both Vietnam Veterans...And seeing my dear Mother delight in seeing our R.I. family again and smiling at the beauty of the Bougainvillea at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and all that this Paradise could offer. And wishing my Dad, also a wounded WW2 Veteran, could have been there with us. He passed away the year before. Melancholy memories much like your own.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Your story about your Dad's $100 bills reminded me that the first time I went to Hawaii in 1981 was the first and only time I ever used Thomas Cook Travelers Checks...also in $100 denominations. What a blast from the past. I hadn't thought of those in years. That was a magical visit, seeing all the great tourist sights of course, but also being in the same room, just by chance, with Jim Nabors at his closing nightclub show...with Tom Selleck, John Hillermin and Larry Manetti of Magnum P.I. seated just a table away from us... enjoying Al Harrington of Five-0 at his nightclub show...meeting Harold Sakata (Oddjob from Goldfinger) and actually handling his 1932 L.A. Olympics Gold Medal...and also witnessing a large reunion of Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Doolittle Raid and Bataan War Veterans reunited for the 40th anniversary of those events at the Arizona Memorial...Finally meeting my Uncle Theo from Rhode Island who was a WW2 U.S. Army Air Corps 5th Air Force Veteran of the fighting at New Guinea and the liberation of the Philippines at that gathering also! And reuniting with his sons, my cousins Gary and Brent, both Vietnam Veterans...And seeing my dear Mother delight in seeing our R.I. family again and smiling at the beauty of the Bougainvillea at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and all that this Paradise could offer. And wishing my Dad, also a wounded WW2 Veteran, could have been there with us. He passed away the year before. Melancholy memories much like your own.
Sounds like a very special trip to the Islands, Randall! Thanks for also sharing your "melancholy memories"! It's these kinds of personal touches and connections to certain TV shows that make this hobby more than just about consuming entertainment (not that there's anything wrong with that, either!)

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Jim Nantz also wrote in that same book about someone who paid for everything with hundreds: former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka. Cab ride, coat check, beer at the bar-- everything got hundred-dollar bills from Mike Ditka, according to Jim.

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
1208 “Voice of Terror”

1208 voice of terror.JPG

This is by far the best normal-length episode of season 12 so far. But the main terrorist being such a hothead doesn’t help the story, IMO. For my money, a calm, cool, rational articulate bad guy is more powerful and scary than a screaming hothead. Laurence Olivier once said, “Never show your top,” which I take to mean that once you go as high and as loud as you can, you have nowhere else to go, and your character becomes less interesting. Still, this episode being at least watchable is refreshing. I hope the final episodes are more like this one.

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
1212 “School for Assassins”

1212.JPG

Gary Lockwood gave this a little boost for me, but even Lockwood can’t make phony writing seem authentic. It’s doubtful any of the techniques he used to “break in” here would have really worked. I’m willing to suspend my disbelief but there has to be a strand of reality involved. The writing and a large part of the acting has gone south. And, well, it’s just not the same without Danno.

Wiseguy

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
"The Year Of The Horse" is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The last true epic story in scope and location that Five-0 would produce. It's odd that they ended the season with a two hour episode, when most seasons start with them. I wonder if it was delayed for some unknown reason?
View attachment 45588
According to the production number at the end of the episode it was episodes 803 (part 1) and 804 (presumed part 2 since no other episode in the season had that number) so either it was filmed early in the season or at least the script was approved early in the season. When I went through the series a few years ago I watched them in order of production number which made more sense in the "Ben" episodes of season 7 and the "Lori" episodes of season 12*. Otherwise the characters come and go with no discernible reason.

*Except for the two-part opening of season 12 (numbered 905 and 906) which should be watched first since it apparently took them awhile to write and film a script which explained the presence of the new Kimo character. Also in the previously mentioned season 7 the character of Frank appears in one episode too early in the middle of the Ben episodes. (Ben in episodes 501-513 and Frank in episodes 514- except Frank appears in #509; perhaps in was an early-approved script they didn't get around to filming until after Al Harrington was "let go.")

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
Must have missed that episode of Perry Mason.
He played Number Two in the ultra rare crossover of Perry Mason and The Prisoner. Perry is suing The Village for back pay and mental anguish on behalf of Number Six.

William Hopper as Paul Drake.

I'm sure it was just a Freudian slip. It was never established on screen that Number Six was in fact John Drake from McGoohan's previous series. Danger Man.

Peter Apruzzese

Producer
Reaction score
Website
Www.bigscreenclassics.com
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm sure it was just a Freudian slip. It was never established on screen that Number Six was in fact John Drake from McGoohan's previous series. Danger Man.
I always figured Drake was sent on a mission on a submarine to Ice Station Zebra in the Arctic circle to recover a roll of film from a downed satellite. Upon mistakenly killing an innocent American soldier and then learning his trustworthy friend was, in reality, a Soviet double-agent, Drake resigns and is sent away to The Village. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movie_buff