What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
719 “Study in Rage”

“You may be half and half, but face it, bruddah: There’s only one side that will have you.”

719 a.JPG

Nice dialogue in this episode. And did I mention how much I respected Richard Hatch? He could play a psycho, a hero, or a duplicitous businessman. He was too good of an actor to get typecast as just one thing. And he was even a better human being.

I've noticed McGarrett has a tendency to print in chalk all caps, except when board space is at a premium, in which case he resorts to cursive.

719 b.JPG

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
719 “Study in Rage”
Nice dialogue in this episode. And did I mention how much I respected Richard Hatch? He could play a psycho, a hero, or a duplicitous businessman. He was too good of an actor to get typecast as just one thing. And he was even a better human being.

You’ll be happy to know that Hatch appears one more time, in S8’s “The Waterfront Steal”.
I had the pleasure of meeting him several years before he died, at an Orlando Megacon show, and I asked him about his H5O experiences. He said he loved them, and raved about how nice Jack Lord was to him. He helped cast Hatch when he was a kid on a Stoney Burke episode in a bit part or as an extra, and remembered him years later when the H5O opportunity on “The Child Stealers” came along. Very sad that we lost him not too long ago.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
721 “Hit Gun for Sale”

It seems like Al Harrington is in the show less and less. Is he gone for good?

721 Hit Gun for Sale.JPG

The series seems to do a good job of bringing back popular guest stars and so forth, of maintaining a continuity in that way, yet characters closest to Steve (Kono, now possibly Ben) disappear without a word.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
It seems like Al Harrington is in the show less and less. Is he gone for good?

Characters closest to Steve (Kono, now possibly Ben) disappear without a word.

Steve may be a closet serial killer...

Someone made the same observation regarding Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) and the cast members of My Three Sons who disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

http://www.panix.com/~clp/humor/Note/Note6.81.txt

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
722 “The Hostage”

Exciting episode. It’s as close as I’ve seen Steve to losing his temper.

722 The Hostage.JPG

The hostage was one cool young lady though. I dislike dumb hostages. Love smart hostages. Love smart characters, actually. They just make drama better. And this episode is a good example of that, IMHO.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
724 "6000 Deadly Tickets"

This one would have been better if the plot logic had been more consistent. At the end of this episode, the bad guys know about the undercover cop so what do they do? Instead of going in the opposite direction, for some inexplicable reason they decide the best thing to do is walk up to the undercover cop and shoot him in the back, thus leading to their eventual capture.

This is an episode Shatner should have guest-starred in. The banner in the background would have been perfect!

724.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Here is my rewatchable episodes list through season 7. An asterisk denotes a true gem, IMHO the best of the best.

Season One
Full Fathom Five
Samurai*
And They Planted Daisies on His Coffin
King of the Hill
The Box
Once Upon A Time

Season Two
To Hell with Babe Ruth
Forty Feet High and It Kills
King Kamehameha Blues
All The King’s Horses
The Joker’s Wild, Man, Wild
Which Way Did They Go?
Blind Tiger*
Cry, Lie

Season Three
And a Time To Die
The Second Shot
Reunion*
The Late John Louisiana
Over Fifty—Steal*
The Double Wall
The Gunrunner
The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney*

Season Four
3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu*
While You’re At It, Bring In The Moon
The 90-Second War (2 parts)

Season Five
Pig in a Blanket
V is for Vashion (trilogy)*
I’m a Family Crook Don’t Shoot
Thanks for the Honeymoon
Here Today…Gone Tonight
Will the Real Mr. Winkler Please Die

Season Six
Murder is a Taxing Affair
The $100,000 Nickel
The Flipside is Death
One Born Every Minute*

Season Seven
I’ll Kill ’Em Again
How To Steal A Masterpiece*
Bones of Contention

Even if the majority of the best episodes are behind me now, I'm going to stay the course till the end. The show is so well-crafted that even when an episode is off, there's always something worthwhile to find in it, usually the great cinematography.

609 d3e1.JPG

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm anxious to hear your thoughts about season 8 Alan. Although it is one of my least favorites, there are still good episodes throughout it.

Season 9 was more satisfying, but I will chat with you about that when you reach it.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I think you may be surprised how great the show remains for most of Seasons 8 and 9. Season 10 is still a good, watchable show. The last couple of seasons it is a show that has overstayed it's welcome. When you watch in order, the changes are gradual and nothing seems too out of place. Until the last year.:rolleyes:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Starting season eight!

801 “Murder – Eyes Only”

This is the kind of heavily padded two-parter broadcast as one 2-hour episode that I resent in all series that do them. It’s ten-minutes into the episode before we even get a plot point. The weakest Wo Fat episode by far, even weaker than the murder at the circus episode.

One thing that intrigued me. This is mid-70’s network TV and McGarrett says goddammit. As clear as day. WTF? They don’t even do that in 2017.

801a.JPG

On his day off, Wo-Fat tours the Arizona Memorial! Don’t get me wrong—I liked it. I’m just….trying to figure out whether or not I should be disturbed.;)

801b.JPG

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
On his day off, Wo-Fat tours the Arizona Memorial! Don’t get me wrong—I liked it. I’m just….trying to figure out whether or not I should be disturbed.;)
What's disturbing about this scene? And I remember liking Murder - Eyes Only. I thought it was a strong outing. I think Five-0 did a good job on their two hour segments. The extra resources help with the production values IMHO.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is the kind of heavily padded two-parter broadcast as one 2-hour episode that I resent in all series that do them.

That's why I don't understand why the need for 2-hour single episodes (except as a season or series premiere)-- having one in the middle of the season adds unnecessary bloat, at least IMO.

I mean, I can see one to premiere a series (gives you time to get to know the setting, the characters, and in general what the series is about), and as a season premiere (they want to start each season off with a bang, as on Knight Rider for the 1983, '84, and '85 seasons), but as a regular mid-season episode-- no way!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
In the case of Hawaii Five-0 I'm all in for the big two hour episodes. I remember TBS ran a week of Five-0 two hour segments in the 80's. They felt like well made movies. That week of programing made me look for the show in syndication when it aired. "The Year Of The Horse" from season 11 is one of my favorite Hawaii Five-0 episodes. Yes, a season 11 show. Barry Bostwick was awesome in that role. Victoria Principal, George Lazenby and all that great Singapore location filming. The once a year two hour episodes were events.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the case of Hawaii Five-0 I'm all in for the big two hour episodes. I remember TBS ran a week of Five-0 two hour segments in the 80's. They felt like well made movies. That week of programing made me look for the show in syndication when it aired. "The Year Of The Horse" from season 11 is one of my favorite Hawaii Five-0 episodes. Yes, a season 11 show. Barry Bostwick was awesome in that role. Victoria Principal, George Lazenby and all that great Singapore location filming. The once a year two hour episodes were events.

I think the only 2-hr. show of Five-O that I ever really enjoyed was "Cocoon," the 1968 pilot film.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was so young when these first aired. I remember basically seasons 4, 5 and 6 in first run. I think if I had been older maybe I could have appreciated those two-parters more. My problem with a lot of them is exactly what you like: the increased production value, as crazy as that sounds. For example, in the two-parter I just watched, the navy assisted, and so they are going to show off all those ships and docking procedures and all that, screen time be damned. But for me, the story stops until all that showing off is done. I think of George Lucas making the original Star Wars movie. He put a tremendous amount of time and energy into creating those worlds (the best at it ever, IMHO), but then he zips through so fast the viewer can barely see them because he has a lot of story to tell. Lucas resists the urge to slow down, become self-indulgent, and show off all his production value. So I think Star Wars ruined me! :)

One of the things I love about this show is simply seeing Hawaii the way it was when I visited it as a ten year old.

PDVD_002 (6).JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, my family watching this show together in the mid 70s inspired our 1976 family vacation to Hawaii. Here we are on the black sand beach. I am the little guy with his arms crossed looking upset because my dad always took the pictures and was never in any of our family photos. I wanted to take the pictures. No one--not even me--knew it yet, but I was already feeling the impulse to become a filmmaker. :)

20180122-153203.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks