1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rick Thompson, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    The kind of screengrabs you put up, Carabimero, is why I always prefer to find the best-quality DVD screengrabs available (usually from remastered DVDs)-- they illustrate the episodes very well.

2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Thanks. When I finish season 12, I will post some of the leftover screen grans I took but never used. There's so many good ones I couldn't use them all!

BTW, am I ever going to see Jenny again? I hope so but something tells me no.

PDVD_001.JPG

Is this Peggy Ryan?

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I'm almost too embarrassed to reply. Most kind. Great thanks. Perhaps when your finished with Five-0 you'll tackle my favorite show set in Hawaii.
    [​IMG]

Darby67, Jeff*H and Carabimero like this.
  4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I enjoyed Magnum but was never a big big fan. I do remember one show when Magnum was lost at sea and the bond those characters had was so close that they sensed it. I remember liking that one a lot.

Right now my plans after Five-O are to finish up seasons 7 and 8 of Barnaby Jones and then rewatch Adam 12 to test my memory that there is not a stinker episode in that entire run. But I will keep my eye on the Magnum set and if I see a good deal (right now it's too pricey for me at $99), who knows.... :)

5. 365 Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Wanted to let all the H5O fans in this thread know that Mr. Mike is having a poll on his amazing H50 site’s guestbook to determine the top 24 episodes (6 discs) to be featured on a hypothetical (at this stage) 50th Anniversary Best-Of blu-ray release from CBS DVD. The HD transfers already exist for blu-ray, and Mr. Mike apparently emailed Ken Ross at CBS Home Entertainment about the possibility of a 50th anniversary release, to which Mr. Ross replied nothing was planned so far, but he indicated he is open to the possibility of doing something for the anniversary and is interested in ideas from the fans!

Here’s the link to the guestbook to share your thoughts...

http://fiveohomepage.com/gbook/gbook.php

6. Blimpoy06

Darin
    The bond between Magnum, Rick and TC is a big selling point for a lot of fans of that show. I've said it elsewhere, Donald Belisario had a knack for writing male bonding stories that rivaled anything Howard Hawks put on screen in his classic westerns. Not everyone's cup of tea, and I respect that. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Barnaby Jones (I'm about to start season 5) and all the Jack Webb shows. Adam 12 is solid. Meantime, keep the Five-0 coming.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Carabimero like this.
  7. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    811 “The Waterfront Steal”

I remember this episode very clearly, but only because of Kathy Beller. I was 11 and had a crush on her. :lol:

811.JPG

I’m not sure if it’s fair to say this episode jumped the shark in wanting me to believe barrels would explode in 110 degree heat. I’m not declaring this episode jumped the shark because I could be wrong about the temperature threshold, but it didn't feel authentic to me.

This episode did have the advantage of an appearance by the terrific Richard Hatch!

811b.JPG

8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    And she is the one who would later be Kirby Anders on O-R Dynasty on ABC from 1982-84 (screencap from fourth-season, first-volume DVD within 4-season Epik Pak of O-R ABC Dynasty from CBS DVD).

kathleenbellerdynasty.jpg

9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    812 “Honor is an Unmarked Grave”

812c dialogue.JPG
    Marshall: “I hope you’re not gonna get all shook up because a writer turns in a little sharp detective work.”

McGarrett: “Writers never make me insecure, Mr. Marshall. So many good books have been written in prison."

812d dialogue.JPG

I had that Verti-Bird! So much fun to see it again.

812e.JPG

Here's a wider shot of the Verti-Bird :)

812f.JPG

The episodes I’m seeing now are right in the heart of my magical childhood. I was very lucky to have those years. I love that Five-O is bringing them back to me so vividly.

10. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    Then you should know it's Hawaii Five-0 with a zero. (I really don't care about CBS' feeble attempts to differentiate the two series.)
    I always heard that Jack Lord was turned down for Star Trek because he wanted part ownership of the show. Gene Roddenberry wasn't about to let that happen.

11. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    It was also the first appearance of John Manicote. In all Glenn Cannon appeared in the role 26 times through the ninth season.

Darby67, bmasters9, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  12. Wiseguy

Erich P. Wise
    There may be a slight goof in the airing of the series at this point. Although apparently the first names are different (Carl and Charlie), Gerald S. O'Loughlin plays essentially the same character Swanson in this episode and the soon to be aired "Six Kilos" (an episode not in the original syndication package). The problem is he is in prison in this episode (production number 0220) and in "Six Kilos" (production number 0217) he commits the crime that sends him to prison. If the episodes were filmed in a different order, that may explain the name change. But why not change the last name (or the actor)?

13. 373 Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    813 “A Touch of Guilt”

I’m impressed by how many of these Five-0 episodes are in the news even today. Sexual assault, shame, guilt, lies. It’s all here. And scripts like this in 1975 are a great reason why this show remains watchable and relevant in 2017.

813.JPG

14. 374 Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    814 “Wooden Model of a Rat”

My favorite episode of the season so far. Every character was trying as hard and with as much intelligence as possible to achieve their objectives. And that always makes for a fun episode.

814a wooden.JPG

I think Ed Asner here is one of my favorite bad guys in the entire series so far. I love his dialogue: full of assonance and alliteration. I thought the only dumb thing he did was at the end when he pulled out the rat with the gun. I would have just gone for the gun. The best endings, IMHO, involve the heavy getting caught not because of a dumb mistake, but a character flaw. Five-0 usually does that so well that I am spoiled when they don’t do it all the time.

Michael Corleone didn't make a single mistake in Godfather II. I guess that's why he's Michael Corleone. Ed Asner comes close. This was a really good show.

ponset, Darby67, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  15. 375 Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    815 “Deadly Persuasion”

Danny gets framed. And I take another trip back in time, the best one yet….!

VCRs were not common when this episode first aired, and sometimes, when our family had to go somewhere during the show's time slot, I would use this cassette recorder. I would start the tape going before we left, leaving my recorder right in front of the TV speaker with the TV volume up and the correct channel selected. That way, when we got back, I could at least listen to Hawaii Five-0. Sometimes my father listened with me, which I still remember fondly.

815b.jpg

Anyway, the point of telling this story is, when I was watching this episode, I suddenly recognized a stretch of dialogue--and even started talking along with the show because I knew the dialogue that was coming!

I had recorded the audio of this episode the night it first aired. Not long ago, I was converting all my cassettes to digital audio files, and the tape with this episode on it was one of them! That's why I recognized it when I heard it today.:)

It's also fun hearing the commercials that aired with the episode. Sears had a driving school!

JoelA, Darby67, Ron1973 and 4 others like this.
  16. Blimpoy06

Darin
    I did the same thing in the 70's. I would record shows by myself in a room with the door closed to minimize stray noise. Even edit out the commercials. Mostly M*A*S*H and Star Trek episodes. Trek is more of a radio drama to me. Even made audio rips of the DVD's to listen in the car to this day. Theater of the mind.

Darby67, Flashgear and Carabimero like this.
  17. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

He not only wanted a piece of the show, but also wanted to direct and he might have even wanted and hand in the scripts or script approval (I don't have my book at hand as to whether that last bit was true or not).

It was Martin Landau (for Spock) and Lloyd Bridges (for the Captain) who turned down the show.

Darby67, Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  18. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    817 “Loose Ends Get Hit”

Really enjoyed this one: tight, layered and tense. Now just tell me Officer Sandi returns some time!

817 Loose.JPG

Darby67, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  19. Blimpoy06

Darin
    Early, and quite often as far as a guest on this show.. But not enough for my tastes. She would have been an excellent addition to the show as a regular. Great personality and more of a risk taker compared to the regulars. (You'll see what I mean)

Actress Amanda McBroom was also an accomplished singer/songwriter. Her biggest claim to fame was penning the Bette Midler hit song, "The Rose".
    [​IMG]

20. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    819 “Turkey Shoot at Makapuu”

819 Turkey.JPG

I got unsettling vibes from this episode. McGarrett tells the witness the bad guys think she is dead, so she’s safe, so what does she do? She tells a reporter that she is the real witness and then goes up in a hang glider to get shot at. This is the second episode this season that in my opinion jumped the shark. I hope it’s not a telltale sign of things to come.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.