1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rick Thompson, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    706 “Right Grave, Wrong Body”

706 Right grave wrong body.JPG

I enjoyed the frequent use of the Indenti-kit in this episode. I always wanted one as a kid, and got the sense from this episode how tedious it would be to actually use one.

2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    707 “We Hang Our Own”

Time after time, it’s Che who saves the day. He’s cool, measured and articulate. And he deserves a shout out…

707 We hang Our Own.JPG

ponset, Flashgear, Jeff*H and 2 others like this.
  3. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    One of my top 10 favorite episodes, largely due to Leslie Nielsen giving a ferocious performance. Watching him tee off against Jack Lord in their scenes together was pure viewing pleasure! Also loved the story, the Western theme, the Maui scenery, the music score, and the other guest performances (Perry King was also very good), right up to that nail-biting finale! The writing, directing and acting were all top-notch for this one, friends.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Carabimero like this.
  4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    708 “Two-Faced Corpse”

Best line of the episode: “McGarrett, you suffer from a terminal case of honesty.”

708 Two Faced Corpse.JPG

It's always fun to see some great faces in this show.

bmasters9, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  5. Message #305 of 669 Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    709 “How To Steal A Masterpiece”

709.JPG

Best episode directed by Jack Lord so far. Fun caper story. And I love that he took time to stroll with a girl and have an ice cream cone in the park.

This has a strong ending, IMHO, because the main character wasn't defeated by McGarrett, but by his own character flaw: ego. The best episodes have the smartest bad guys, virtually every time.

6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    That's Abe Vigoda before Barney Miller, it looks like!

Carabimero and Darby67 like this.
  7. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    Only by three months. "The Two-Faced Corpse" aired October 29th, 1974. Barney Miller premiered January 23rd, 1975.

8. Message #308 of 669 Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    710 “A Gun for McGarrett”

I love things like McGarret’s pink shirt and tie, and how he drinks a mean cup of tea.

710 A Gun for McGarrett.JPG

Also he spills his middle name to the wrong girl!

710 a.JPG

Yet another fun episode.

9. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Fun fact about the office bombing: the same footage is recycled in a Season 9 episode, “Blood Money is Hard to Wash”.

This is one of my faves from season 7!

10. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    711 “Welcome To Our Branch Office”

711 Welcome to our branch office.JPG

Fun episode! But I expected the payoff to be bigger in terms of dollar signs to make it more plausible to build the replica locations. Even McGarrett said it, so the plot point was deliberate. It had all the makings to be a great one but something didn’t ring true for me and I think it was the payoff. This is a good episode. But it’s the ones that are almost great that I learn the most from as a writer. And IMHO this was one of those.

Bryan^H, Flashgear, Jeff*H and 2 others like this.
  11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    712 “Presenting…In The Center Of The Ring…Murder”

My least favorite Wo Fat episode so far (they're usually better-than-average if not great), but with Ringling Bros. going under last year it was fun to see the circus (and especially the poodles—I was laughing out loud!).

712.JPG

Darby67, Blimpoy06 and Flashgear like this.
  12. Blimpoy06

Darin
    It must be mine too. I don't remember "...In The Center Of The Ring..." even being a Wo Fat episode. In fact, I don't remember this episode at all! I guess it is possible to forget a show or two out of 275 plus episodes. It just means I'll have something to look forward to when I get around to watching Five-0 again.

Carabimero and Darby67 like this.
  13. Blimpoy06

Darin
    I sat down to watch “Presenting…In The Center Of The Ring…Murder”. Viewing it brought no memories of watching it before. Maybe I missed this on my DVD run nearly10 years ago.

It started out promising enough. Dan Williams is given more to do than usual in the later years. It even made some good points on security and protection of VIP's. But as it moved on it began to drag. Our heroes do a lot of standing around and watching. And the direction and editing are not helping to build any sense of danger or tension. It suffers from a lack of McGarrett too. He is reduced to giving orders on the radio and observing the talks going on by the people he is protecting. The writer, Jerome Coopersmith, is one whose stories I normally looked forward to in these middle years of the show. I guess even Paddy Chayefsky turned out a dud or two in his days writing for TV.

Speaking of writers, does anyone know why the Story Consultant credit seems to switch back and forth in this period of the show between Curtis Kenyon and Ken Pettus? It seems like an odd arrangement for a show's writing staff. It would vary from show to show in the same season.

Darby67, Carabimero and bmasters9 like this.
  14. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I’m guessing that changes in the show’s staff starting with season 7 was likely due to the death of series creator Leonard Freeman, who passed near the end of season 6 if I recall. There was more turnover among producers in the seasons that followed, though Jack Lord became the unofficial showrunner at this point (he never received an executive producer credit, however, and I believe that’s how he wanted it).

15. Blimpoy06

Darin
    The flip flop in Story Consultants seemed to happen for season's 6.7 and 8. With Curtis Kenyon alternating with Ken Pettus and later Herman Groves. A change in producers may prompt the change once, but not rotating for several years.Kenyon would work with and past the departure of Bob Sweeney. Not the end of the world, just curious. I'm a compulsive credit watcher.^_^

16. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    713 “Hara-Kiri: Murder”

McGarrett seems even more passionate about solving crimes than he was in earlier seasons. It’s nice because some stars, when they’re on a long-running show, begin to get bored--and you can see it. Not Jack Lord.

713 Hari-Kiri Murder.JPG

I had a college professor once. No one ever slept through his classes because we all truly believed he was so passionate he just might throw a desk without warning. McGarrett reminds me of that professor whenever Steve is on the trail of a clue and figures it out.

Bryan^H, Darby67, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  17. Message #317 of 669 Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    714 “Bones of Contention”

One of my favorites of this season. This episode creates not only a mythology around "The Peking Man," but uses historical events to help place it in context. Very attractive episode. And again, the smarter the opponent is, the stronger the drama, virtually every time.

I particularly love shots in Steve’s office when it’s dark outside or raining, and Steve is brooding. I wish they’d done more of that.

714 Bones of Contention.JPG

18. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

And I love those scenes. The passion he has for justice in some episodes is just so powerful it astonishes me. He is the man, he knows it and if someone is guilty chances are Steve McGarret knows it before they think he does.

19. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    One of my S7 favorites as well. I love all the guest star performances, particularly Vic Tayback’s and Keene Curtis’, along with H5O repertory player Kwan Hi Lim as the mobster. Also loved the excellent music cue that plays when Tayback switches the headstones and culminates with McGarrett brooding at his window. The plotting was very clever and tightly written. Top marks all around!

20. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    715 “Computer Killer”

This was fun to see and think about how interesting it must have been back in the mid-seventies, to get a foreshadowing of the online fraud so evident today. It would be fun to watch “The 2130” from the original FUGITIVE series and then this episode back to back :thumbsup:

715 Computer Killer.JPG

I love seeing this computer!

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.